The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Rumor: Devils are lining up prospects to pursue Quinn Hughes

5 minutes ago, DrJockitch said:

Don’t think Heiskanen is getting the credit he deserves on all these lists. 
Love Q but some of the deals thrown around I would consider.
They are huge but can also be magic beans. 

Deal would need to be amazing to consider Q is special. 

I'd probably put MH right there with Hughes, I agree

• Cheers 1

Obviously it’s pure speculation but I swear if we even consider trading Hughes then every single person in management needs to go asap. Hughes is a special talent and unlike any dman we’ve ever had. He has the potential to be one of the best dman for the next decade plus. Petey and Hughes should be untouchable and Demko and Kuzmenko should be close to untouchable unless the offer is amazing. Management needs to not be stupid. 

• Cheers 1

There's a 50/50 chance that Mercer, Nemec, and their 1st round pick amount to the equivalent of a 3rd line winger, a bottom pairing d-man, and an NHL tweener drafted 25th overall.  

I know that people's immediate instinct is to look at the absolute maximum upside of prospects/picks.  

23 minutes ago, VancouverHabitant said:

There's a 50/50 chance that Mercer, Nemec, and their 1st round pick amount to the equivalent of a 3rd line winger, a bottom pairing d-man, and an NHL tweener drafted 25th overall.  

I know that people's immediate instinct is to look at the absolute maximum upside of prospects/picks.  

I agree.  You don't trade a top 2 Dman for potential.  What if those players don't pan out?  Then you traded the team's best ever Dman for scraps.  Similar to the Neely trade.  It could backfire huge.  Same as Pittsburgh trading Naslund for some toughness.

Hughes, our 23 year old defensemen that’s approaching a PPG? that was just made a an alternate Captain?

I like Mercer, but their first will be late, and Nemec hasn’t proven anything in the NHL.  They’re going to need to add significantly to that offer IMHO.

Edited by Kenny Powers
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Sedin Brothers said:

https://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Eklund/Boeser-Trade-coming-in-days-NJ-and-Q-Hughes-e3-Tues-Buzz/1/120545

This is more for the discussion than the source. As a big time Devils fan (who appreciates the Sedin), I'd be willing to give Nemec, Mercer and a first. I think that's fair for both sides.

thoughts?

My thought? Eklund is a f**kin moron. You can bank on that. E5!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, DrJockitch said:

Don’t think Heiskanen is getting the credit he deserves on all these lists. 
Love Q but some of the deals thrown around I would consider.
They are huge but can also be magic beans. 

Deal would need to be amazing to consider Q is special. 

Yeah. I’m open to moving absolutely anyone but Quinn isn’t a player you take a fair deal for, you’d have to overpay.

• Cheers 2

23 minutes ago, VancouverHabitant said:

Most of the time I'd agree with you, except Mercer I'd already say is much better than your description and is over .5ppg player at his young age while Nemec is undoubtedly better than a bottom pairing dman already but NJ is simply taking their time with him as they have no reason to rush his development by which most reports indicate is going just fine.  

If in fact there's any credibility to this whatsoever,  which seems unlikely,  it would need some serious consideration by our management.   It has the potential to be a franchise altering trade.  

2 minutes ago, Kenny Powers said:

Hughes, our 23 year old defensemen that’s approaching a PPG? that was just made a an alternate Captain?

I like Mercer, but their first will be late, and Nemec hasn’t proven anything in the NHL.  They’re going to need to add significantly to that offer IMHO.

They don't have the assets to add.  It's impossible to get full value back for Quinn unless another similar play comes back in return.  If you do this type of a trade you risk trading for guys who may not even pan out and draft picks who may never play in the NHL.  I'd rather keep our 23 year old Dman and build around him and Petey.  If things don't work out, you can always trade him in 2-3 years when he's in his full blown prime...

• Cheers 3

20 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

I agree.  You don't trade a top 2 Dman for potential.  What if those players don't pan out?  Then you traded the team's best ever Dman for scraps.  Similar to the Neely trade.  It could backfire huge.  Same as Pittsburgh trading Naslund for some toughness.

For me, you'd absolutely have to have mercer coming back............to start 

6 minutes ago, stawns said:

For me, you'd absolutely have to have mercer coming back............to start 

Mercer is a 3rd line winger, we have lots of those types of players.  He takes very few draws and is not very good at them, so he is not a 3C.  Raty is a better prospect as a 3C.

Nemec obviously is the central part of the deal, but you are basically stealing from Paul to pay Peter.  The idea is to get a Nemec type player to play with Quinn, not trade Quinn to get a Nemec.  What good is Nemec if he is playing with Dermott?

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Mercer is a 3rd line winger, we have lots of those types of players.  He takes very few draws and is not very good at them, so he is not a 3C.  Raty is a better prospect as a 3C.

Nemec obviously is the central part of the deal, but you are basically stealing from Paul to pay Peter.  The idea is to get a Nemec type player to play with Quinn, not trade Quinn to get a Nemec.  What good is Nemec if he is playing with Dermott?

He's young, he'll be an NHL C and a good one when hes ready

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Sedin Brothers said:

https://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Eklund/Boeser-Trade-coming-in-days-NJ-and-Q-Hughes-e3-Tues-Buzz/1/120545

This is more for the discussion than the source. As a big time Devils fan (who appreciates the Sedin), I'd be willing to give Nemec, Mercer and a first. I think that's fair for both sides.

thoughts?

Are you David Amber? Haha!