The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Blues trade Vladimir Tarasenko, Niko Mikkola to Rangers for Sammy Blais, Hunter Skinner, conditional 2023 1st-round pick, conditional 2024 4th-round pick

1 minute ago, Mustard Tiger said:

What's the condition on the first so I don't have to scroll? Please someone :P

Rangers have two 1st rounders (their own and Dallas' 1st), St Louis gets the later of the two. The difference is like 2-3 spots. Unless one of em goes on a cup run. Dallas is 5th and NYR are 7th in the League standings right now. It's one of the dumber conditions I seen. Ngl. They must really value the 25th overall pick over the 28th.

• There it is 1

4 minutes ago, MattWN. said:

He's another Garland/Boeser on a team that has way too many passengers who can't drive play. He's another 4.1 million better spent elsewhere, or been weaponized to recoup assets.

Maybe that is why Beau is playing with EP.  Raise his stock so he can be traded (as a rental) next year for at least a 2nd at the TDL.

:P

• There it is 1

Just now, N7Nucks said:

Rangers have two 1st rounders (their own and Dallas' 1st), St Louis gets the later of the two. The difference is like 2-3 spots. Unless one of em goes on a cup run. Dallas is 5th and NYR are 7th in the League standings right now. It's one of the dumber conditions I seen. Ngl. They must really value the 25th overall pick over the 28th.

Or they see the higher pick potentially having more value to make another trade before the TDL.

Just now, Bad_BOI_pete said:

with the addition of mikkola which everyone is sleeping on their defensive depth is also bolstered

Yup, and their D was anything but small to begin with 

Fox at 5'11" and Lindgren at 6'0" is their smallest pairing 

Good amount of size mixed throughout their forward group as well 

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, stawns said:

I don't disagree on his age, but he's still an under sized 10-15 goal scorer on a $4m deal that should have been used elsewhere.

I don't remember us ever having a successful reclamation project, and we've had multiple handfuls. 

1 minute ago, theo5789 said:

Or they see the higher pick potentially having more value to make another trade before the TDL.

Again, the difference is like 2 spots. The value difference is microscopic. Lol.

Edit: I don't think they can trade that second 1st rounder prior to the draft. Given it's part of the condition of this trade. What happens if they trade the Dallas first, but that is the later pick? Do they just give up their first? It defeats the purpose of having this condition to begin with.

Edited by N7Nucks

2 minutes ago, rekker said:

Even if that is the case. He has only a year left and has skills. The potential is there to find his game more so than an aging player. Cap dump? Ok, but I see more potential in him than your typical, older player cap l dump. 

Not to pick on stawns but he's a MASSIVE horvat fan. He has no choice but to stick to his guns and try and undervalue AB as much as possible. But in reality they have the same amount of points since the trade and that will remain a common theme till we flip AB next year for profit  ^_^

Just now, MattWN. said:

I don't remember us ever having a successful reclamation project, and we've had multiple handfuls. 

and same story as Boeser being a "30 goal scorer", people hanging onto his early success, rather than what he has become

1 minute ago, MattWN. said:

You could technically call Markstrom a reclamation project considering we managed to sneak him down to the AHL 

• Vintage 1

4 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

Thank you kind sir 

Just now, Mustard Tiger said:

Not to pick on stawns but he's a MASSIVE horvat fan. He has no choice but to stick to his guns and try and undervalue AB as much as possible. But in reality they have the same amount of points since the trade and that will remain a common theme till we flip AB next year for profit  ^_^

$4.1m for a 12 goal scorer, rather than having cap pace to weaponize at the dradline or the draft

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, stawns said:

I don't disagree on his age, but he's still an under sized 10-15 goal scorer on a $4m deal that should have been used elsewhere.

He is a struggling hockey player on a team with some struggling wingers now. For sure. Time will tell where he goes as a player. 

4 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

Again, the difference is like 2 spots. The value difference is microscopic. Lol.

Edit: I don't think they can trade that second 1st rounder prior to the draft. Given it's part of the condition of this trade. What happens if they trade the Dallas first, but that is the later pick? Do they just give up their first? It defeats the purpose of having this condition to begin with.

Maybe microscopic, but still more value nonetheless.

If they do make another trade involving a 1st, then it'll be a conditional also in that it'll be the higher of the two 1sts.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Mustard Tiger said:

Yip, this trade deadline, most big contract trades will involve a cap dump. AB is a cap dump I can handle. 

• There it is 1

3 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

Maybe microscopic, but still more value nonetheless.

If they do make another trade involving a 1st, then it'll be a conditional also in that it'll be the higher of the two 1sts.

Sounds convoluted. But it makes sense. I still doubt the trade value is the reasoning. But even if it is, it's dumb.