The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Blues trade Vladimir Tarasenko, Niko Mikkola to Rangers for Sammy Blais, Hunter Skinner, conditional 2023 1st-round pick, conditional 2024 4th-round pick

8 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Parayko has a NTC, and he's 29 with 7 years left at $6.5. Not sure the Canucks would want to take that contract on.

to STL - Brock Boeser and Luke Schenn (to join his bro)

to VAN - Ryan O'Reilly and Zach Bolduc

O'Reilly's contract ends at the end of the season, frees up $7.5. Canucks also have another real good C developing.

couldn't possibly make less sense for either team. 

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Probably top 12 protected same as ours.

No way Rangers fall that low but it’s just to make sure.

Looks like the condition is the pick will be the higher of the two firsts (Dallas/NY) that the Rangers currently own. 

4th becomes a 3rd if NYR make the playoffs. 

Edit : Higher not lower.

Edited by MattWN.

Not sure I’d be happy with this return if I were a Blues fan.

I know he’s 31 and a pending UFA but look at the season he had last season.

If he was traded last deadline he would have gotten a huge haul. What a difference a season can make.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

It’s the perfect move for NY.

Tarasenko usually gets hot in playoffs..

Going to be some great chemistry with Panarin.

But will he have Loui Erikkson - Sedins level of chemistry? Remains to be seen.

• Haha 1

That's a big haul for a rental. A late 1st, B (or maybe C) grade prospect in Skinner, a 4th and a cap dump for a guy who's not even on pace to score 20 goals this year. They must really be banking on his past (and playoff) success but that's a lot to throw away to a guy they may well not re-sign.

At least with Bo, he was young, re-signed almost immediately, and is in the midst of a 50ish goal year. 

Value seems about right all thinks considered. Steep price for rentals this year though, but I wonder if teams almost prefer that compared to taking on long cap deals like Boeser or Miller's

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, HKSR said:

So what is the final deal?

To NYR:

Tarasenko

Mikkola

To STL:

Blais

Skinner

1st

4th

?

There's the value of a UFA rental.  We did very well with Bo if that's the case considering how high the NYI pick could be plus Raty (A tier prospect).

Same value as tofu with term to Calgary.  Granted thats not very recent anymore. Just comes down to desperate gms. Someone will take our wingers in the right scenario 

Just now, DownUndaCanuck said:

That's a big haul for a rental. A late 1st, B (or maybe C) grade prospect in Skinner, a 4th and a cap dump for a guy who's not even on pace to score 20 goals this year. They must really be banking on his past (and playoff) success but that's a lot to throw away to a guy they may well not re-sign.

At least with Bo, he was young, re-signed almost immediately, and is in the midst of a 50ish goal year. 

Value seems about right all thinks considered. Steep price for rentals this year though, but I wonder if teams almost prefer that compared to taking on long cap deals like Boeser or Miller's

I don’t see it as that steep to be honest.

The first will be the later of theirs or Dallas’ pick so it’s a good bet it will be 25 or later.

The rest is just a bunch of nothing.

1 minute ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Yeah, this is a huge W for St Louis IMO.

Tarasenko is more Boeser than Horvat, people are comparing the wrong players here.

Keep in mind Tarasenko was basically offered up for free around the league a few years ago, around the expansion draft. Nobody wanted to touch him. The only reason he has any sort of value, is because his contract expires, and St Louis still had to retain 50%.

I'd expect Brock at his current points pace to have the same value next year.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, MattWN. said:

But will he have Loui Erikkson - Sedins level of chemistry? Remains to be seen.

Matt,  I actually thought they would have, I probably even stated that they would have here..   in hindsight ,  I’m shocked to the effort LE gave us.   Got his contract , shut himself down, and played safe.

1 minute ago, MattWN. said:

Yeah, this is a huge W for St Louis IMO.

Tarasenko is more Boeser than Horvat, people are comparing the wrong players here.

Keep in mind Tarasenko was basically offered up for free around the league a few years ago, around the expansion draft. Nobody wanted to touch him. The only reason he has any sort of value, is because his contract expires, and St Louis still had to retain 50%.

I'd expect Brock at his current points pace to have the same value next year.

Except Tarasenko is a proven 30 goal scorer, something Boeser is not.

Nobody wanted to touch Tarasenko because of his contract not because of the player. At 3.5 mil that’s a great player to add.

A late first is basically a second. This is not some great value when you consider players like Chiarot went for a 1st last deadline.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

Just now, SilentSam said:

Matt,  I actually thought they would have, I probably even stated that they would have here..   in hindsight ,  I’m shocked to the effort LE gave us.   Got his contract , shut himself down, and played safe.

Those handful of years were so frustrating to watch.. Only to flip the tail end of that insanely bad contract for OEL. So many kicks to balls. 

8 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

The Dallas pick it is 

7 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

If he was traded last deadline he would have gotten a huge haul. What a difference a season can make.

Yeah, probs bittersweet for Blues fans, had to get something for him though as he's been rumoured to have wanted out for a while 

Depends on what they do with the 1st I suppose, they're still largely structured as a veteran team 

• Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Yep. 

If we had re-signed Bo last year we'd have him locked down to a 7M x 8 year deal.

If we had waited 1 season and signed Miller at the end of this season he'd be on a 7-7.5M deal.

I think St Louis had no idea how bad their team was going to be this year and didn't really have a choice to trade him last year in case they were still a playoff team but they bombed hard. Time to rebuild around their young kids the same way the Canucks should be.

• Cheers 1