The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Horvat was taken for granted here

Rate this topic

Dazzle

23 minutes ago, GhostsOf1994 said:

So @Dazzle

Raty will be in his prime (27-29) arguably as good as Bo was at the same age. bigger, stronger, better prospect, higher draft ranking.

Lot of speculation here.  If he was a better prospect with higher draft ranking why did he go in the second round, with some teams passing on him twice?

Not saying that the kid wont pan out to be a player, but id like to see some of the rationale behind your statement?

• Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, GhostsOf1994 said:

Raty will be in his prime (27-29) arguably as good as Bo was at the same age. bigger, stronger, better prospect, higher draft ranking.

Beauvillier should be flipped next season at the TDL, 50% retained anyone? another 1st rounder? :ph34r:

1st rounder in a fairly good draft doesnt hurt either.

based on what? horvat already have 65 points in the nhl at 20, and is a consistent 50+ point guy since with goals/game increasing almost every single season.. potential doesn't mean jack sh!t.. Raty have the potential to be as good as Bo if not better.. POTENTIAL.. the way you are saying is like Raty will guarantee be better than bo.. funny how many prospect have higher potential than Bo and all turned into nothing? lots..

and keep dreaming if you think anyone will give u a late 1st rounder for a 30point guy.. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, EddieVedder said:

Yup was treated like dirt.  Shouldve traded miller and boeser last year over bo. We would be leaps and bounds ahead on the retool 

We literally just beat the Islanders with BO on the other team.  How exactly would he have helped us in the retool?  It looks like we are retooling just fine without him.  Meanwhile, his current team can't even beat us with an AHL goalie in our net...

Edited by Elias Pettersson
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

We just beat Bo, and our new Beau scored the winner!  Plus, Miller and Boeser were a lot better than Bo tonight too. Glad the elephant is out of our room.  It’s nice to see the guys all playing hard for one another now. 

It's gonna be hard for some of them to let go of BO.  I feel for them really.  It's like the ex-girlfriend that you always think about...

4 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

We literally just beat the Islanders with BO on the other team.  How exactly would he have helped us in the retool?  It looks like we are retooling just fine without him.  Meanwhile, his current team can't even beat us with an AHL goalie in our net...

You usually make good arguments imo but this one is weak.  Its a team game.  Canucks beat the Oilers iearlier in the season with a AHL goalie in net too, is that a slight against McDavid? Draistatl?

• Cheers 2

If anything Horvat finally showed up in his contract year, led us to one playoffs, and then moped when we didn’t make him the highest paid player on the team, despite being at the most the 4th best player on this team. 

He thought “I’m the cApTAIn THoUgH I shud get MOst moniez” and was promptly shipped out because he was Captain Tank Commander throughout his years here. 

But he’s a nice guuuuy boo hoo. These are the facts. Take of your Canucks coloured rose glasses and look at our team throughout Horvats tenure from the LA Kings perspective. Y’all are acting like Horvat is McDavid. 

• Like 1
  • Wat 1
  • RoughGame 1

3 minutes ago, Darius said:

You usually make good arguments imo but this one is weak.  Its a team game.  Canucks beat the Oilers iearlier in the season with a AHL goalie in net too, is that a slight against McDavid? Draistatl?

The difference is the Oilers also have an ECHL defence.  The Islanders are one of the better defensive teams in the league who just added a 50-goal scorer.  You would think they could score 5 on us and beat us easily.  They only let in 4 goals combined in their last 5 games but let in 5 tonight alone off 23 turnovers.  Are they trying to play more aggressive offensive hockey with Horvat in their lineup?  Seems odd that as soon as he joins their team, they have one of their worst defensive games all year.

The Islanders have only allowed more than 5 goals on one other occasion all year long.  This was literally their second worst defensive game in the entire season...

8 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

It's gonna be hard for some of them to let go of BO.  I feel for them really.  It's like the ex-girlfriend that you always think about...

I think it just shows the lack of good drafted players we’ve had.

Look at who we selected after him. Shinkaruk, Virtanen, McCann, Boeser, and Juolevi. That’s a lot of busts and wasted talent outside of Boeser (and even he regressed hard). I think we cling to Bo because he was finally one of our successful drafted and developed players. (Let’s not forget Gaunce, Jensen, Schroeder, Hodgson…). This fanbase has been deprived of young talent for a loooong time. So losing Bo hurts a little more.

Like I get it, I followed Bo’s career from the moment he donned a Canucks sweater at the 2013 draft. He was a great player for us since then but at some point you have to accept if something just isn’t working. Holding onto what ifs gets you nowhere.

• Like 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

17 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Not to mention we played the second game in 2 nights.

Moving Horvat was the right thing to do. He wasn’t entertaining offers from us that were reasonable. He made up his mind to get out. He’s a solid player, but not $8.5M solid. 

If we can find a suitor for Boeser too, we’ll be on our way.

• Upvote 1
  • There it is 1

Just now, Elias Pettersson said:

The difference is the Oilers also have an ECHL defence.  The Islanders are one of the better defensive teams in the league who just added a 50-goal scorer.  You would think they could score 5 on us and beat us easily.  They only let in 4 goals combined in their last 5 games but let in 5 tonight alone off 23 turnovers.  Are they trying to play more aggressive offensive hockey with Horvat in their lineup?  Seems odd that as soon as he joins their team, they have one of their worst defensive games all year.

The Islanders have only allowed more than 5 goals on one other occasion all year long.  This was literally their second worst defensive game in the entire season...

They won the two games prior with Horvat, one of which they blanked the Kraken. 

They’ve won 4 of the last 5 games. 

I wouldn’t put too much flak into this game. It was just an off night for their goalie and especially the defense. You said it yourself they don’t give up more than 5. An uncharacteristic game which happens to teams. 

Gotta judge them over the next 10-15 games to have more clear and credible judgements. Too early to assume anything. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Blaming it on Bo is a reach and lacks objectivity.   4 goals in their last 5 games...Bo played in 2 of those.  Didnt they just shut out Seattle?  Canucks beat Colorado too with an AHL goalie in net.  Nevertheless, its far too early to call trends one way or the other.

• Cheers 1
  • There it is 1

I am a big fan of Horvat, but prior to his contract year he averaged .75 pts per game over 4 years.  This year he is over a pt per game.  I feel like he is giving his all for a bigger contract.  Which, in turn, means he didn't give his all prior to that.

Other than the last 50 games he is worth 6.5-7 mil.  This contract will take him well past his prime. The Isles overpaid.  Miller has averaged over a pt per game for 4 years and even in an off year is still well above Bo's typical average.  Miller signed for 500k less than Bo.  

Other than the relatively poor communications work by the front office, this was good business based on the information at hand.  

• Cheers 1
  • There it is 2

1 minute ago, DeNiro said:

Look at who we selected after him. Shinkaruk, Virtanen, McCann, Boeser, and Juolevi. That’s a lot of busts and wasted talent outside of Boeser (and even he regressed hard). I think we cling to Bo because he was finally one of our successful drafted and developed players. (Let’s not forget Gaunce, Jensen, Schroeder, Hodgson…). This fanbase has been deprived of young talent for a loooong time. So losing Bo hurts a little more.

Like I get it, I followed Bo’s career from the moment he donned a Canucks sweater at the 2013 draft. He was a great player for us since then but at some point you have to accept if something just isn’t working. Holding onto what ifs gets you nowhere.

I was also a big BO fan back in the day.  I thought he was going to lead us to the promised land one day.  Then all hell broke loose with this team and we became a bottom feeder.  Petey and Huggy came along and I saw bubble Demko, and then I thought maybe there was hope.  But then last year came, and now this year was the straw that broke my back.  I knew major changes had to happen.  As soon as JR picked Miller over Horvat, I knew Horvat was gonna get traded.  They just needed to wait it out for the right deal.  The timing worked out well as Horvat did his part by having a career year which allowed us to get a decent return and allowed him to get a $68 million contract.

At the end of the day, it worked out well for both sides.  So, I am happy for that.  What is bothersome to me is the anti-Miller and anti-JR bs that has been permeating throughout CDC over the last few months.  At the end of the day, what is done is done and all parties have moved forward.  Mistakes were made on both sides.  And the media has further fueled the divide and made things even worse.  That is the saddest part for me.  

• Cheers 3
  • Huggy Bear 1

11 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

our drafting department sucks so much in the last decades.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Darius said:

Blaming it on Bo is a reach and lacks objectivity.   4 goals in their last 5 games...Bo played in 2 of those.  Didnt they just shut out Seattle?  Canucks beat Colorado too with an AHL goalie in net.  Nevertheless, its far too early to call trends one way or the other.

I wasn't blaming BO directly.  I was asking the question if they are changing the way they play now because they added a 50 goal scorer.  It may have been an off game, and like it was already mentioned we need to judge them off 10-15 games.

• Cheers 1

If Bo went to a team that wasn't in denial of a rebuild like the team he just spent 9 years with doing the same thing, then I'd still have a good level of respect for him. But he chose money over winning. He wants to remain being a passenger. 

I don't buy the "it's the best thing for my family response", as multi millions of dollars is more money than they'll ever be able to spend, so security could be had anywhere, including on a contending team.

He wants to remain being a passenger. 

One could argue he took us fans for granted. If you want to win, show it and play the right way.

• Cheers 1