The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Detroit Red Wings at Vancouver Canucks | Feb. 13, 2023

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

Just now, OldFaithfulCap said:

Myers and OEL have become so bad that Stillman no longer worries about being the worst on his team. Freed from his lowly status he took up yoga, llama grooming and swedish death cleaning and the balance off the ice has led to him being more physical, driving to the net and passing (set up a goal and created a chance last night) and even his shooting is more on target.

Heavy is the head that wears the tankcommander helmet

• Haha 1
  • Vintage 1

1 minute ago, HorvatToBaertschi said:

Spencer Martin is a chump. Makes me laugh when he looks all locked in, pointing to the sky with that intensity before puck drop, and then lays an egg every single game. 

It's almost laughable. That first shot against Martin is most likely going in. 

The D is an issue for sure, but the goaltending is the #1 problem IMO.

I do wonder what Demko's future holds and if a trade will be made to bring in a different goalie at some point (next season?). I've heard rumours of Tristan Jarry (PIT)

Canucks can't seem to play Hockey, but they can play Tank pretty well.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, EternalCanuckFan said:

If OEL is 100% healthy, then his significant drop in play and skating speed from last season is bizarre. I'm not saying OEL was good last year, but he could at least play decent D and put up a respectable number of points if you ignore his cap hit. Is it just effort/mental or is it physical?

If this is a long term health thing, then I wonder if he may end up being a LTIR guy?

Almost everyone has now checked out with the team tank fully on. OEL has been poor for sure but he is just being picked on because he was in on goals against last night. It's not just him though.

We are allowing 5 goals per game no matter how hard we try. I'd have no motivation to play and check out too if I were on the team.

I agree that OEL was actually pretty decent last season. The only time he was noticeably bad was when he got beat to the puck due to his skating having been deteriorated. But he had good stick work and good positioning. 

My guess is that OEL is probably not going to be able to play well in Tocchet's "structure." It requires guys being able to jump in the play and then getting back quick, something that OEL is no longer able to do efficiently. OEL needs to re-invent his game to more of a stay at home defenceman that can move the puck.

If the team wants to save cap for next season, then they will likely buy him out. I don't think that's best for the team moving forward but maybe that's the only option as we are cap crunched.

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

8 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

It's almost laughable. That first shot against Martin is most likely going in. 

The D is an issue for sure, but the goaltending is the #1 problem IMO.

I do wonder what Demko's future holds and if a trade will be made to bring in a different goalie at some point (next season?). I've heard rumours of Tristan Jarry (PIT)

Canucks can't seem to play Hockey, but they can play Tank pretty well.

One of the most expensive Tank teams in NHL history!  (player salaries) 

• elephant 1

Thoughts on last night:

That was so pathetic, it was funny.

I generally pause the game so I don't have to watch commercials. Now I pause so I can fast forward through the 3rd period.

I shouldn't have taken my blood pressure during the 2nd period.

Blow this team (?) up.

8 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Look at how well Halak is playing right now - this sums it up.

If we dare trade Demko to a solid defensive team like LA, it's over. Vezina winner year after year.

I think healthy Demko ina. Proper system is a top tier vezina goalie as well 

7 hours ago, Pears said:

Although to be fair, Demko in god mode last year certainly tried his damndest. 

He sure did. Clearly that level of play isn’t sustainable though he hurt himself. Was like an extended playoff performance by a goalie 

7 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

I didn't see the game (thank God). Who was in net? Was it Martin? 

And, well, Tocchet's not wrong. When you let in 6 goals, that's pretty much grade level defense. 

But at least this helps with the tank. Where are we now? 5th in the lottery best odds? 

Nope was Delia:

both goalies are having far too much asked of them.

if they provided league average goal tending or slightly below as demkos backup this season that would have been a success.

but too expect them to be starters and to be league average or close is far too unrealistic an ask of them with our team defence in front of them. 

we are 6th but honestly 4th worst looks kinda possible with our goal tending and how we are trending. 

• Upvote 1

So Bruce played with no structure lolololololololololololol.

pretty clear coaching was not the issue.

”two years away” hahahahahahahaha

”I think we can turn this team around quickly”

”winning  environment”

“Vetran leader “

”foundational” 

“ playoff revenue” 

“structure” 

maybe a new strategy is required it starts with reality 

we can’t throw parts at this problem and expect it to fix itself 

we aren’t deep enough at any position we have few prospects and we just haven’t been built to succeed at any level. 

Not sure how many coaches you can pay at the same time and not realize it isn’t the coaches or word of the week “ structure” 

it’s the players and it always has been. 

I like a lot about RT as coach so far. I don't like the handling of Kuzmenko. The gifted goal scorer that he is needs to be playing with real players. His defensive short comings are offset and then some by his nose for the net. I get this year is tank for Bedard but I hope this isn't an ongoing doghouse situation. 

1 minute ago, combover said:

”winning  environment”

“Vetran leader “

”foundational” 

“ playoff revenue” 

“structure” 

we aren’t deep enough at any position we have few prospects and we just haven’t been built to succeed at any level. 

Not sure how many coaches you can pay at the same time and not realize it isn’t the coaches or word of the week “ structure” 

This team already plays with more structure. You can see it. RT was brought in for accountability. Bruce is a players coach, guys get lax under those coaches. Ricks here to whip people into shape and figure out who you can go to war with. 

1 hour ago, grandmaster said:

"It's my job (and) the (other) coaches' to make these guys understand stuff," Tocchet said postgame. "We're going to practice (Tuesday), and we're going to have to go back to grade school on how to defend (and) how to stop and start because too many guys are spinning. (This is a) very high-risk team ... some of (our) better players tonight, they were just too risky."

https://www.thescore.com/nhl/news/2574425

The pass Miller made to the Wings forward was right on the tape. The line change when the puck wasn't going to get past the center line, was epic. Structure you say? Kuzmenko had much more intensity than Boeser last night, and other than that 4 point performance merits more ice time than him. What's his role on the power play? He isn't a puck retriever, his shot has gone missing, and he's not fast enough to play in this NHL.

Edited by johngould21
  • Cheers 1

26 minutes ago, combover said:

”winning  environment”

“Vetran leader “

”foundational” 

“ playoff revenue” 

“structure” 

You forgot a quote

"Unfinished business"

9 hours ago, VancouverHabitant said:

There's no days off and running away from problems under Tocchet.  

I like that he hasn't given them time off.  This team is too soft. 

Whether this does anything is still under question. This is a meaningless season. That being said, I do like Tocchet more than I thought. I'd like to see him be given one full season at least.

Edited by Dazzle
  • Upvote 2