The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Detroit Red Wings at Vancouver Canucks | Feb. 13, 2023

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

Haven't had time to scroll thru, it's early morn over here.

Wondering if anyone's had a worse past few days than JT Miller? Playing on a lousy team, veering into the ditch.

As if that weren't enough, his lil' town called East Palestine, Ohio, has basically been chemically-nuked, largely from incompetence too! Media's always busy discussing balloons, rainbows & unicorns..but how does it feel?

If I were in his shoes, & Springsteen's, "My Hometown" came on the radio, would prob be a sobbing mess.

Cut this guy some slack, folks(if it ain't been stated yet)

I'm liking Tocchet more and more. He's not settling for an okay effort and collecting his pay cheque. He has expectations and demands playing the right way. He's here to win a championship with the Canucks, but they have to go back and work on the basics, re-learn as a team.

I like that he called out some for slamming their sticks, or for some players not getting back quick enough with stops and starts etc.

Canucks haven't had a coach like Tocchet since AV. I think they'll spend the rest of the season evaluating and assessing, and Tocchet will have a big part in assembling the roster next season.   I expect a very different team next year.

Desjardins was too lost. Green was too timid. Boudreau was too nice. Tocchet is just right. 

• Like 2
  • Cheers 2

5 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

I'm liking Tocchet more and more. He's not settling for an okay effort and collecting his pay cheque. He has expectations and demands playing the right way. He's here to win a championship with the Canucks, but they have to go back and work on the basics, re-learn as a team.

I like that he called out some for slamming their sticks, or for some players not getting back quick enough with stops and starts etc.

Canucks haven't had a coach like Tocchet since AV. I think they'll spend the rest of the season evaluating and assessing, and Tocchet will have a big part in assembling the roster next season.   I expect a very different team next year.

Desjardins was too lost. Green was too timid. Boudreau was too nice. Tocchet is just right. 

AV was too conservative and predictable. 

1 hour ago, Gawdzukes said:

Dude, you might want to give it a bit of time. You're so negative you think bringing in a new coach is useless and then bash him because we're not 6-0? Doesn't make sense, even if some of the players are bad you still want a good coach. You don't just quit everything and new coaching will take more than 2 weeks to turn it around. Everyone here knows the personnel sucks. They're trying to change it but it will take time and some cap flexibility.

I’m all for giving him time and I think his way could be more successful in the long term maybe less entertaining    but

I’m not just going to parrot this team is playing better when all the stats and on ice product say otherwise.

just  Because they keep saying accountability and structure doesn’t make it happen so,  it’s actually sales tactic and the more you hear it the more you think you see it. Even when all the proof says otherwise. It’s Kinda like JB saying winning environment. 
huh.

I’m just frustrated because we starting to see the same pattern that some  feel we’ll be better next season because of the coach and his tactics when we won’t unless the roster is torn down. 

three coaches are having the same result it’s should be abundantly clear and blatantly obvious “structure “ “accountability” blah blah blah aren’t actually the issue the players are. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

I mean I’m sure the players are like “really? we know how to do this stuff…”

But really they don’t. Or least they’re not showing it.

They’re making mistakes that you teach out of kids in bantam. And if they’re gonna do that they need to be reminded how to play their positions properly.

Does sound like Tocchet is going to work these guys, more engagement in practices (physicality/grit), and getting them into better shape. Kind of embarrassing for them tom be told they're going back to grade school :lol: but I love it. Basically Tocchet saying - I don't care how many millions you make or how high you were drafted. You don't play the right way and you'll never win that way, so Gonchar, Foote and I are going to teach you."

The country club is definitely closed. Any remaining members will be traded or bought out.

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

11 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Does sound like Tocchet is going to work these guys, more engagement in practices (physicality/grit), and getting them into better shape. Kind of embarrassing for them tom be told they're going back to grade school :lol: but I love it. Basically Tocchet saying - I don't care how many millions you make or how high you were drafted. You don't play the right way and you'll never win that way, so Gonchar, Foote and I are going to teach you."

The country club is definitely closed. Any remaining members will be traded or bought out.

The country club is in management not in the locker room. 

I hate all the talk of playing the right way. I don't think any of the coaches have the answer. This has been preached over and over since Travis Green.  The right was/ is not the same for every player.

What makes one player successful doesn't necessarily work for all. 

Clearly they learned the bad habits from someone, but who? 

It wasn't Boudreau because it started before he came in. And it wasn't Tocchet, although he was OEL and Garlands coach prior to Vancouver.  

But there's something rotten I  the organization. They promised competitive hockey in the summer, and to clear cap space and fixing the defense, but haven't really addressed anything. 

Edited by DS4quality
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, Gawdzukes said:

Dude, you might want to give it a bit of time. You're so negative you think bringing in a new coach is useless and then bash him because we're not 6-0? Doesn't make sense, even if some of the players are bad you still want a good coach. You don't just quit everything and new coaching will take more than 2 weeks to turn it around. Everyone here knows the personnel sucks. They're trying to change it but it will take time and some cap flexibility.

Blah blah blah, they're giving up more goals than ever since this new guy came onto the scene. Boudreau had this same team last season and correct me if I'm wrong went 35 - 12- and something? This is on management, instead of paying for 3 coaches why not give Boudreau the season, and start over. Management has screwed the pooch royally. I'm tired of slogans, quotes, blow this team to pieces and rebuild, starting with new management. New ownership would be nice too.

7 minutes ago, DS4quality said:

The country club is in management not in the locker room. 

I hate all the talk of playing the right way. I don't think any of the coaches have the answer. This has been preached over and over since Travis Green.  The right was/ is not the same for every player.

What makes one player successful doesn't necessarily work for all. 

Clearly they learned the bad habits from someone, but who? 

It wasn't Boudreau because it started before he came in. And it wasn't Tocchet, although he was OEL and Garlands coach prior to Vancouver.  

But there's something rotten I  the organization. They promised competitive hockey in the summer, and to clear cap space and fixing the defense, but haven't really addressed anything. 

for all his faults, Benning & co. never sat on their hands, its very hard to call his group a country club (even if they were all old enough to be members!). 

This management group hasn't sat on their hands either, you cant fault them for not being able to make moves in the flat cap era. They have actually made more big moves than any other team this season. 

The country club is definitely in the locker room, and Im glad this management team has started dismantling it.  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

57 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Joshua should practice that in a game. Again another friendly giant that doesn't understand his role. There is a reason Justin Bailey never made it. These guys have to play a hard game/be willing to fight. Joshua fought in pre-season to earn his spot and then has done nothing since. Waive his soft ass. 

That hit on Hughes last night should have woken him up. Not saying he has to fight but go cross check the guy and start a scrum after the whistle. Understand who the meal ticket is there Mr. Joshua.

Same with Lazar. He isn't an NHL player. Just hits guys thats it. Brings nothing 

4 hours ago, combover said:

Oh man 

the catch phrase gingles really do work 

“ accountability”

”structure” 

foundational blah blah blah 

Those are nothing more than hollow words to sell a crap product. 

hey how’d  the team do after Bruce took over … 

if they’re playing with new found “structure” and “accountability”  

why is it the expected goals against is higher than Bruce’s last ten games … uh oh that doesn’t sound like accountability….

RT fist 8 expect goals 4

bruce last ten expected goal 3.9

we’re  scoring less and still allowing 5 that’s structure and accountability better bench the goal scoring top 3 forward and insert a plug … that sounds like willie D and Travis green. 

I  don’t buy crap because it says it isn’t crap 

RT might be a good coach but the group of players sucks as Travis and bruce found out Rick will too. 

If you don't think its a small sample size, I can't help you. We set the record for most losses in history after having a 2 goal lead (and that was before Christmas). 

TeamTurmoil is what you crave. 

4 hours ago, johngould21 said:

NO, it doesn't. Usually a coaching change brings in a bit of a bump, I've seen nothing of the sort. The Bruce bump last season would have been epic had Demko not gotten injured. Bruce was dealt a lousy hand starting with how the season began, Demko being injured and two AHL goalies, plus the incompetence of a management group to allow a veteran coach to twist in the wind as they did.

It's okay not to see it based on the small sample size but if you listen to the experts, they see it. The guys don't slack back to the bench on changes (or if they do they are called out) and they are working far harder than they did in the past (see coming from behind vs being up two or more goals and finding a way to lose). Rick also has lost the leading scorer and captain while he has been in charge and had no practice time.