The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[3-Way Trade] Maple Leafs acquire Ryan O'Reilly, Noel Acciari, Josh Pillar; Blues acquire Adam Gaudette, Mikhail Abramov, 2023 1st-round pick, 2023 3rd-round pick, 2024 2nd-round pick; Wild acquire 2025 4th-round pick

3 minutes ago, hammertime said:

Yaaaaa..... Seems like quite the payment from TO. ROR isn't the player he was.  Paying a 1st 2nd 3rd and 4th to rent a 3C with 19 points and a dash 24? Did I read that right?? 

You must not be watching any of the Sports Networks. It's an epic move and easily the trade of the season. You didn't know?

• Haha 2

8 minutes ago, Sell.the.team said:

This is more the return I was personally looking for in Horvat.  Worse first round pick for sure, but also a 2nd and a 3rd and no bad cap coming back.

Honestly I think the nucks need to start accumulating 1st to 3rd round picks and drafting way more defenseman.

Aside from Quinn at 7 OA, we haven't drafted / developed / UDFA any legit young defenseman.  As bad as drafting was in the Gillis era, at least he signed Tanev.

We should have had way more defensive draft picks under the Benning era. And it shows today.

Yip. Going back over 15 years. Edler, Bieksa, Hughes, Tanev, Forsling. Luc, RIP. That's all I got. 

7 minutes ago, rekker said:

Another stunning move by Dubas and company, but they have all been epic and stunning. This GM can do no wrong really. 

It'll be funny if they go all-in and miss 

But Dubas's GM position is hanging by a thread and they've got the Matthews extension looming, Nylander will be due the same season 

Tavares and Marner expire the season after 

Tavares will be 33 in September, clock is ticking 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

But Dubas's GM position is hanging by a thread and they've got the Matthews extension looming, Nylander will be due the same season 

I see Anaheim or LA in AM's future.

I also see TO's goaltending dropping the ball in the post season, and yes Gramma glasses fired. 

• Cheers 1

19 minutes ago, hammertime said:

Yaaaaa..... Seems like quite the payment from TO. ROR isn't the player he was.  Paying a 1st 2nd 3rd and 4th to rent a 3C with 19 points and a dash 24? Did I read that right?? 

Kind of my thoughts.

Lots of folks planning the parade and I like how ROR plays but he has hard miles on his body and has very noticeably slowed down

24 minutes ago, Sell.the.team said:

This is more the return I was personally looking for in Horvat.  Worse first round pick for sure, but also a 2nd and a 3rd and no bad cap coming back.

Honestly I think the nucks need to start accumulating 1st to 3rd round picks and drafting way more defenseman.

Aside from Quinn at 7 OA, we haven't drafted / developed / UDFA any legit young defenseman.  As bad as drafting was in the Gillis era, at least he signed Tanev.

We should have had way more defensive draft picks under the Benning era. And it shows today.

The Office Yes GIF

22 minutes ago, Sell.the.team said:

19D

19 wingers

10 C

He did draft a lot of D.

Forsling got traded for Clendenning which at the time looked like a great trade.

Tryamkin got cold feet

OJ had several major injuries.

18 minutes ago, rekker said:

I see Anaheim or LA in AM's future.

I also see TO's goaltending dropping the ball in the post season, and yes Gramma glasses fired. 

I wouldn't be surprised by Anaheim, he'd be a massive step forward for them and they've certainly got the cap flex to do it. LA would be tougher but they'd certainly make room if he had interest.  

I don't see him going to Arizona, I think that's overblown. He'll get his money anywhere, why not go somewhere you'd actually get a chance to compete? Him going to Arizona wouldn't be enough on his own and they're clearly in rebuilding mode. One could argue that about Anaheim too I suppose but I'm more impressed by their youth and prospects than I am by what's in Arizona. 

Arizona will only look uglier after moving Chychrun and Ghost. 

Edited by Coconuts

23 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Wouldn't be surprised if Shannahan is also fired since he promoted Dubas and got rid of all the qualified hockey people.

• Vintage 1

1 minute ago, King Heffy said:

Wouldn't be surprised if Shannahan is also fired since he promoted Dubas and got rid of all the qualified hockey people.

Wouldn't be surprised either, he's been president since April 11th, 2014. He's had nearly ten years of rope. 

1 minute ago, Coconuts said:

I wouldn't be surprised by Anaheim, he'd be a massive step forward for them and they've certainly got the cap flex to do it. LA would be tougher but they'd certainly make room if he had interest.  

I don't see him going to Arizona, I think that's overblown. He'll get his money anywhere, why not go somewhere you'd actually get a chance to compete? Him going to Arizona wouldn't be enough on his own and they're clearly in rebuilding mode. One could argue that about Anaheim too I suppose but I'm more impressed by their youth and prospects than I am by what's in Arizona. 

Arizona will only look uglier after moving Chychrun and Ghost. 

I agree. Asked me three, four years ago and I'd have bet money on AM to Arizona. I suppose if the dollars offered are out of this world, but in the end any Cali or Arizona team is a safe bet. 

53 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Keep going Dubas. Keep trading 1st round picks and losing in the first round of the playoffs.

Because the way it's going.

Matthews will eventually bolt.

You won't have any players in the system.

You have no cap space, and 9 UFA's this coming off season.

Next year is the last on Nylanders and Matthews contracts.

(Edit I thought Toronto had a high end RHD d prospect, I was wrong)

Looks to me this is Dubas' hail mary. If the Laffs lose in the first round again, I would not be surprised if the Leafs clean house.

Ya but the rest of the country has to listen to all the whining and sniveling for weeks afterwards. Post mortem infinitenem. :shock: 

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, AnthonyG said:

19D

19 wingers

10 C

He did draft a lot of D.

Forsling got traded for Clendenning which at the time looked like a great trade.

Tryamkin got cold feet

Agree with this post except the Forsling part. Many of us were very high on him he had just had a fantastic wjc. 

1 minute ago, hammertime said:

Agree with this post except the Forsling part. Many of us were very high on him he had just had a fantastic wjc. 

I remember the trade well. I thought, wow, this Clendenning guy, high pick, can't wait, what can go wrong. His first game I was like, WTF?

• Cheers 1

33 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

The zamboni driver says that Tavares is so pumped he has moved bunks into Laffer Gardens. 

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, rekker said:

I agree. Asked me three, four years ago and I'd have bet money on AM to Arizona. I suppose if the dollars offered are out of this world, but in the end any Cali or Arizona team is a safe bet. 

Every once in a while you'll get a guy whose drive to play at home is top priority. Larkin in Detroit may end up being a good example, he's from Michigan after all. Much is being made of his contract status but in the end I think they'll get it done, it doesn't sound like he wants to leave despite Detroit's having been a bottom feeder. 

I'd be a bit surprised if that was Matthews, particularly after all the playoff frustration he's experienced as a Leaf. If he's all about the money he could probably get it from Arizona, I doubt he'd win anything there though. 

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, AnthonyG said:

19D

19 wingers

10 C

He did draft a lot of D.

Tryamkin got cold feet

This is a poor retort IMO.

Clendenning looked great at the time? Never heard that before. That was a classic cut corner retool move made under the Aquaman mandate of improving in a hurry instead of being patient. That mandate seems to be the same today....

I would reckon a lot of those 19 dmen picks were late rounders (5-7 round).

Tryamkin wanted to come and play but needed assurances he would get some playing time in the NHL. 

We were so hellbent on 'doing things the right way' and 'no special treatment for anybody's...winning culture yadayadayada...that we were unwilling to do this for him.

He called our bluff.  Tryamkin looked great his one year here but WD was unwilling to give him any meaningful playing time despite us being awful and in tank mode.

OJ had injuries? More like a Fortnite addiction....

I'm fine with a few whiffs along the way, no GM has a perfect drafting record and there are so many moving parts when it comes to young men panning out.... But we were so bad for so long and management should have been acquiring way more 1st to 3rd round picks and drafting way more defenseman.