The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Canucks interested in Sam Malinski

18 minutes ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Yup, and we're not interested in Livingstone or Malinski now too? Something's up...

1st for Bradyn Schneider, book it.

You know I wouldn't be mad...

After Hronek, why would the do that?  They've got Myers, Juulsen and Burroughs on that side for depth

• Wat 1

10 minutes ago, stawns said:

After Hronek, why would the do that?  They've got Myers, Juulsen and Burroughs on that side for depth

I think Myers is gone in the offseason, and Juulsen and Burroughs, while decent depth options, aren't in the top 4 on a playoff team. We need a legitimate top 4 partner for Hughes. 

• Cheers 2

5 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

I think Myers is gone in the offseason, and Juulsen and Burroughs, while decent depth options, aren't in the top 4 on a playoff team. We need a legitimate top 4 partner for Hughes. 

While hopeful anyone they sign from the NCAA will turn into a bonafide top 4 D...I think its unrealistic to expect much from them for at least a season (or 3)

I believe we have a much better option their grooming in the SHL playing against grown men in Filip Johansson. I think your going to see them give him a legimate shot next season. He's already signed with us and currently on loan to Frolunda. Johansson is cost controlled and shouldn't effect our cap sitiuation (much) as long as were able to clear some this summer.

Anyone we sign or draft this year is (probably) at least 1-3 years away.

JMO

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • There it is 1

34 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

I don't think so.  He's playing well in this system and will actually fetch something at the tdl.  In the summer, they will likely have to add a sweetener

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, Blitz-Pix said:

While hopeful anyone they sign from the NCAA will turn into a bonafide top 4 D...I think its unrealistic to expect much from them for at least a season (or 3)

I believe we have a much better option their grooming in the SHL playing against grown men in Filip Johansson. I think your going to see them give him a legimate shot next season. He's already signed with us and currently on loan to Frolunda. Johansson is cost controlled and shouldn't effect our cap sitiuation (much) as long as were able to clear some this summer.

Anyone we sign or draft this year is (probably) at least 1-3 years away.

JMO

I keep forgetting about Johansson. He'll probably slide into the number two spot on the right side.

Johansson sounds like he could compliment Hughes or OEL. Love that he has a point shot.

SCOUTING REPORT

Defends his position very well, both because of an active stick and a fairly projectable frame. Owns a hard shot from the point. Can log big minutes along the blueline, including important ice time in all game situations. Will need to add more bulk and strength in order to maximize his shutdown ability at the highest level. While he is mobile and polished, he is not an elite offensive rearguard (and must play within his own limitations).

Long Range Potential:Quality, reliable and all-round defenseman with good upside.

• There it is 1

5 minutes ago, Kenny Powers said:

Johansson sounds like he could compliment Hughes or OEL. Love that he has a point shot.

SCOUTING REPORT

Defends his position very well, both because of an active stick and a fairly projectable frame. Owns a hard shot from the point. Can log big minutes along the blueline, including important ice time in all game situations. Will need to add more bulk and strength in order to maximize his shutdown ability at the highest level. While he is mobile and polished, he is not an elite offensive rearguard (and must play within his own limitations).

Long Range Potential:Quality, reliable and all-round defenseman with good upside.

Would love to see him join the Abby Canucks for a playoff run once his SHL playoff season concludes. He could get acclimated to the smaller ice surface and start learning our systems. We'd also get a good peek into his potential for next season. It could help with any off season decisions regarding our D before the draft and UFA.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, stawns said:

I'm betting that Hronek plays with Hughes next year

I’d take that bet. Hughes and Hronek may play certain shifts together, but I suspect that they’ll anchor two different lines. 

No point in having your two best offensive defenceman on the same line. 

I think that Hronek will be matched with OEL. Hughes with perhaps a new acquisition, I hope. 

Third pair is a toss up. 

• Cheers 2

8 minutes ago, Sharpshooter said:

I’d take that bet. Hughes and Hronek may play certain shifts together, but I suspect that they’ll anchor two different lines. 

I think that Hronek will be matched with OEL. Hughes with perhaps a new acquisition, I hope. 

Third pair is a toss up. 

I also think they'll need to split Hughes and Hronek...most of the time.

They'll need to to balance out the pairings ..can't overload 1 pairing for the duration of the season.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Canuckfanforlife82 said:

Canucks are no longer in the mix for his services according to Chris Farber. Man they are striking out on right handed dmen. Surprising so far.

Only one team won’t miss out. You are aware of that eventuality, surely. Not the only ones looking for right shot D’s. 

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Sharpshooter said:

Third pair is a toss up. 

I think if Johansson comes in and plays a solid veteran game, he'll be on the 2nd pair with OEL.  

1 hour ago, Canuckfanforlife82 said:

Canucks are no longer in the mix for his services according to Chris Farber. Man they are striking out on right handed dmen. Surprising so far.

There are good reasons why these college free agents weren’t drafted. They are already in their mid 20’s and have holes in their games. Their improvement curve will be close to flat for skating and strength. If they are slow now (Livingston) they will be slow in 3 years. I do like Malinski but he’s smaller and not an elite skater or puck mover. These guys aren’t as good as Jett Woo. Woo would be a huge get for a team if he was coming out of college as a 23-25 year old who wasn’t Drafted. 

• Like 2