The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Coyotes trade Dysin Mayo to Golden Knights for Shea Weber, 2023 5th-round pick

28 minutes ago, mll said:

Money.  Doubt they are staying in Arizona just for the fun of it.  Remove Arizona and it impacts league wide income - the US TV deal and other US-wide sponsorships would take a hit.  Arizona is one of the largest US markets and growing.  They also believe that the Hispanic market is mostly untapped and now have a Hispanic owner in place who understand the market.  Pandemic and arena issue slowed things down.  Betting law also changed in Arizona and Coyotes can now run their own bookie.  

Revenue sharing doesn't make teams whole btw.  The revenue sharing pool is some 6% of league revenue (it's set in the CBA).  Roughly a 1/3rd of the teams contribute to the pool and the remaining 2/3rd share that pool based on a key.  Arizona's ownership are losing money and have every incentive to improve their situation.

Hey, thanks. 

• Cheers 1

All these years of wanting Weber and now that we could have had him perhaps, I no longer would want to acquire him.

That never-played-for-them-all-Coyotes lineup makes me want to throw up.

You might think a marketing genius could get people in the middle of a desert to chill out at the rink.

Are you too HOT?  Come CHILL at the rink.

You gotta fill the barn, even if you have to give the tickets away.

Top acts know that you play to the audience at the front of the stage; win them and you get everybody else.

GO RABID COYOTES GO!

Aaa-Roooo  Ra Bid Coyotes!

Get some tough guys.

Rough it up.

Etc.

1 hour ago, mll said:

Arizona making sure they can hit the floor at a low cost.  Weber only 1M in salary for the next 3 seasons and a portion probably covered by insurance.  Marek says Arizona doesn't want to take back salary in deals.  They really want to spend the strict minimum.  

If that’s the case then why wouldn’t they trade for Myers in July when the bonus is paid? At least they can field the ice with a player making that 1M from 6M Cap

13 minutes ago, grandmaster said:

If that’s the case then why wouldn’t they trade for Myers in July when the bonus is paid? At least they can field the ice with a player making that 1M from 6M Cap

Not sure they would be willing to pay anything to acquire him but if the aim is simply to free his cap space that could maybe work + they could possibly trade him further at the deadline.  Might also depend where they stand cap wise - if they are already above the floor they might want an asset to take on a cap dump.  Armstrong really trying to take advantage of teams wherever he can.  Interestingly Toronto didn't go to Arizona to play 3rd party banker in the O'Reilly trade.  

The fact that Arizona is scrambling to get to the cap floor means that Benning probably could have had them retain more money in the OEL deal.  Oh well...

If Arizona is not on Myers 10 team no trade list, then we should be able to trade him to Arizona in the summer for a small fee, maybe a 5th or 6th round pick.  Arizona still needs almost $10 million to reach the cap floor for next year, so Myers would chop over half of that, and they can just fill the rest of their roster with ELC contracts.

I really don't get this deal at all.... so the Coyotes gave up a serviceable D-man and took on a big big contract for a 5th round pick??? Is it because they will have trouble making the cap floor next few seasons???

All this creative accounting crap needs to stop!!! NHL is such a joke.... the pathetic Coyotes are just grinding it out for a new owner to come relocate the team!

• Like 1

Arizona looks to be a good dumping ground for us over the next 2-3 years. They need $30 million just to get to the cap floor in 2024-2025. So we can use them to dump our LTIR contracts. 

Myers is the best option for us to dump for next year. But Tanner Pearson could also work if he can’t come back and is on LTIR next season.  Tucker Poolman is another for the year after. 

What about if we were to dump them all 3 of those contracts which is almost $12 million and take a contract back?  Myers, Pearson and Poolman would be $12 million in cap space but only cost Arizona $1 million in total salary provided both Pearson and Poolman’s contracts are fully insured and we pay out Myers bonus. 

I’m sure Arizona would love to get out of some long term deals they have. Lawson Crouse would be the guy I would target.  Does Arizona want to pay Crouse $4.3 million for the next 4 years?  

Something to think about. 

1 hour ago, RakuRaku said:

I really don't get this deal at all.... so the Coyotes gave up a serviceable D-man and took on a big big contract for a 5th round pick??? Is it because they will have trouble making the cap floor next few seasons???

All this creative accounting crap needs to stop!!! NHL is such a joke.... the pathetic Coyotes are just grinding it out for a new owner to come relocate the team!

Feels like cap circumvention to me but its not the Canucks so it's ok.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Arizona looks to be a good dumping ground for us over the next 2-3 years. They need $30 million just to get to the cap floor in 2024-2025. So we can use them to dump our LTIR contracts. 

Myers is the best option for us to dump for next year. But Tanner Pearson could also work if he can’t come back and is on LTIR next season.  Tucker Poolman is another for the year after. 

What about if we were to dump them all 3 of those contracts which is almost $12 million and take a contract back?  Myers, Pearson and Poolman would be $12 million in cap space but only cost Arizona $1 million in total salary provided both Pearson and Poolman’s contracts are fully insured and we pay out Myers bonus. 

I’m sure Arizona would love to get out of some long term deals they have. Lawson Crouse would be the guy I would target.  Does Arizona want to pay Crouse $4.3 million for the next 4 years?  

Something to think about. 

Armstrong the one that extended Crouse to a 5 year deal just this past July - ie he was extended when they knew they would be tanking for the next few years.  Kind of suggests that they do want to keep him.  He was on the trade market for a while with quite a bit of interest but then they pulled him back.

Can't see Arizona paying to acquire LTIR contracts when there could be other teams trying to move them for future considerations alone or even willing to add an asset to get them off their books.