The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Rangers trade Vitali Kravtsov to Canucks for William Lockwood, 2026 7th-round pick

5 minutes ago, ShawnAntoski said:

Lockwood with the Rags can be a very valuable piece cause their roster is top heavy with (very talented) veterans and a yount player on the cheap that will willingly take a bottom 6 Motte type role can be a valuable piece, as they try to save cap on the bottom 6 part of their roster.

No offence to the young man, Lockwood, he has everything to be absolutely proud of. He's barely an NHLer, the likes of which are easily obtainable.

Edited by rekker

6 minutes ago, Steven Stamkos said:

Probably the worst draft in the franchise history. The entire 2016 offseason was a mess. 

A whopping 69 B) games played with a top 5 pick. A month prior to the draft JB traded our early 2nd round pick, 4th round pick and McCann (2014 1st rounder) for Gudbranson and a 5th. Then for the icing on the cake Loui Eriksson was signed for a 6M x 6 year contract. 

Bleak times. 

8 minutes ago, ilduce39 said:

Yeah, they’ve been all over the place.  

Selling Miller last offseason (or even letting it slide to this year) and leaning into a re-something focused on the D seemed like a no brainer.  They have some work before I’m on board.

Yup, I've liked a lot of the smaller moves they've made, this one included (though I'd still move Miller). But so far, other than the Horvat deal, it's still a lot of tinkering around the periphery. 

I want to see what they continue to do for the "major surgery". This TDL and summer should be telling whether they're more Dr. Michael DeBakey, or Dr. Nick Riviera.

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, Pavel the Bure said:

Refused to go to AHL to improve his game, does not get to the net, 200 game with/out pack is a biggest problem (like to play only offence),if he doesn't like something-back to KHL! Don't call this lazy, call something else, it is what it is. 

I LOVE this trade for Canucks, he is basically free and with other Russian players on our team, good gamble for Canucks. 

It is his attitude that I worry about and definitely don't want his poor attitude to wear on our young guys.

He feels he is entitled when he hasn't proven anything. But let's hope he changes his attitude and listens to the coach in improving his game, skating, working hard, getting to the dirty areas to battle for the puck and possession. He has lots to improve on and maybe with Podz and Kuz might be able to knock some sense into him to improve on his game and skating abilities. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Phil_314 said:

Yeah, sometimes it pays to try for a home run swing.  Kravtsov's hands are there if you watch his KHL highlights, but his draft weakness was his one-dimensional play.  Hopefully guys like Kuzmenko, Petey and even Podkolzin can help him instill some two-way effort in his game by leading by example.  I'd give up on Lockwood when we already have Joshua and Lazar as dime-a-dozen type sandpaper guys -- what we need is high upside (esp. if we trade Boeser/ Garland).

I get it cause the Canucks is looking for talent and Kravtsov checks the talent box and Lockwood fills the need  for the Rags for cheap bottom 6 players, that can fill a Motte type role.

• There it is 1

4 minutes ago, IRR said:

That’s all you clowns can come up with these days…snowflake,  woke, conspiracy and on and on and on!! Try dealing in reality! It’s sucks when someone confronts you with reality, the truth & honesty. I know some of you are incapable of living in that world. 

Did you think I wasn't going to respond to an unprovoked personal attack?

Next time you launch an attack, don't bring a knife to a gunfight

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, IRR said:

That’s all you clowns can come up with these days…snowflake,  woke, conspiracy and on and on and on!! Try dealing in reality! It’s sucks when someone confronts you with reality, the truth & honesty. I know some of you are incapable of living in that world. 

I think he meant it is snowing outside........

Idk Shrug GIF by Chaz French

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Lockwood is a pending UFA.  His trade value is almost zero…

Well Kravtsov was a pending waiver claim so I think NYR fans would argue his value is almost nil as well.

Not trying to be argumentative or overly negative, just pointing out that anything can be framed in a different light to make it sound better than it actually is... VK has a 2 month audition to show if he's worth a roster spot next year....if he can't show that then we will have to expose him to waivers next October...

• There it is 1

11 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

Signing free agent blueliners to fill in the gaps has been a disaster for us, and nobody is trading a true top 4 RD unless it's for a massive overpayment. The only way to build a proper blueline in this day and age is through the draft. 

Doesn't mean it's always going to be a disaster.  Pretty much every team relies on UFA signings, they just have to be smart about it 

I'm not saying never draft a dman, just when it's clearly bpa.......like Hughes.  Otherwise sign ufs or, better yet, make cap flexibility the standard and weaponize it to get good, young dmen who are ready to make an impact.

Edited by stawns

13 minutes ago, rekker said:

No offence to the young man, Lockwood, he has everything to be absolutely proud of. He's barely an NHLer, the likes of which are easily obtainable.

He knows his role, is in the bottom 6 and he will be given a chance with the Rags, as they try to save some cap on their bottom 6.  Kravtsov infuses some much needed talent into the devoid Canuck system and Lockwood offers a POTENTIALLY cheap Motte type player.

Rags reacquired Motte and I really hope they OVERPAY FOR KANE.  

Edited by ShawnAntoski
  • Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Sell.the.team said:

Well Kravtsov was a pending waiver claim so I think NYR fans would argue his value is almost nil as well.

Not trying to be argumentative or overly negative, just pointing out that anything can be framed in a different light to make it sound better than it actually is... VK has a 2 month audition to show if he's worth a roster spot next year....if he can't show that then we will have to expose him to waivers next October...

Yup

It's a calculated gamble and the upside is huge and downside average.  I think Lockwood will have an NHL career as a clutterbuck kind of player and Kravstov's future is very much in question........it's do or die for him I think.  If he crashes in Van, he'll be KHL bound.

6 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

Signing free agent blueliners to fill in the gaps has been a disaster for us, and nobody is trading a true top 4 RD unless it's for a massive overpayment. The only way to build a proper blueline in this day and age is through the draft. 

Well then...we better all get down on our knees and pray to the hockey gawds that Livingstone signs with

our team and goes on to become the perfect d partner for QH!

Seriously though, you are so right about building the blue line through the draft.  Luckily though, often times

there are defensive gems beyond the 1st round, so hopefully the Nucks can snag another 2nd round or two

at TDL or at the draft.

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, IRR said:

I wouldn’t waste your time with him. Not the sharpest knife in the drawer. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, stawns said:

Yup

It's a calculated gamble and the upside is huge and downside average.  I think Lockwood will have an NHL career as a clutterbuck kind of player and Kravstov's future is very much in question........it's do or die for him I think.  If he crashes in Van, he'll be KHL bound.

I think both of their futures are very much in question.  Lockwood couldn't crack this pathetic Canucks roster, what makes anyone think he'd crack a much deeper NYR squad.  

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, ShawnAntoski said:

He knows his role, is in the bottom 6 and he will be given a chance with the Rags, as they try to save some cap on their bottom 6.  Kravtsov infuses some much needed talent into the devoid Canuck system and Lockwood offers a POTENTIALLY cheap Motte type player.

Rags reacquired Motte and I really hope they OVERPAY FOR KANE.  

Lockwood seems like a good person. I truly do wish him luck. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1