The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Time's up! Finish your last sentence...

AngryElf

2 minutes ago, fanofvan said:

Your last point gives me further reason to support he was given full autonomy.  What cash conscious/meddling owner would allow a GM to fire a coach and replace him midseason, thereby putting 3 head coaches on payroll?  I'm sure the Aquilini group has some level of input over management/structure hirings, but when it comes to the actual players and on-ice product, I'd certainly hope they have autonomy.

For sure, but if you’re trying to fast track success you often make a lot of errors in a short period of time and then bulldoze right through them. If the Aqulini’s were concerned about long term success, I doubt we would have seen the incredible level of turnover we have in recent years.

Perhaps money is no object to them either way, but the aggressive remodelling of this club, that lack of an effective developmental system until only recently, and the trading away of draft picks doesn’t inspire faith that the longterm vision was or is as supported as an aggressive short term one. I believe JR was hired because of his experience, connections, his active trigger finger and his ability to mentor.

He wasn’t brought in to oversee a long haul redemption. And Aquas have yet to embrace any plan yet that alters the team trajectory as an average over the last 10 years.

1 minute ago, RWJC said:

For sure, but if you’re trying to fast track success you often make a lot of errors in a short period of time and then bulldoze right through them. If the Aqulini’s were concerned about long term success, I doubt we would have seen the incredible level of turnover we have in recent years.

Perhaps money is no object to them either way, but the aggressive remodelling of this club, that lack of an effective developmental system until only recently, and the trading away of draft picks doesn’t inspire faith that the longterm vision was or is as supported as an aggressive short term one. I believe JR was hired because of his experience, connections, his active trigger finger and his ability to mentor.

He wasn’t brought in to oversee a long haul redemption. And Aquas have yet to embrace any plan yet that alters the team trajectory as an average over the last 10 years.

All valid points you make.  Hopefully Allvin has a few more shrewd moves to shed some salary and add some actual defence.

• Huggy Bear 1

15 minutes ago, BC_Hawk said:

PA made the trade we bitched about him not making last year with JT; he traded Bo for a top 4RHD + B+ prospect. I don't get the hate here; this in no way shape or form is a desperate move. This a move by a FO that realizes we have very good pieces already in their early/mid 20s; Hronek fits right in.

PA also signed a 29 year old player to an 8 year contract, when he had very little pressure to do so. The trade that sent Bo packing could have been made using Miller instead, but for some reason Bo was the odd man out. 

15 minutes ago, BC_Hawk said:

Trading the 1st is the cost it takes to secure such a player. I am more disappointed in the 2nd being included vs. TOs 3rd. This is a great trade that sets our rebuild/retool/whatever 3 years ahead vs. drafting a RHD at 12-20 OAL (and that is a prayer they work out).

Yet, this management group said on more than one occasion that they weren't interested in trading picks. You actually think that Hronek puts the whole rebuild three years ahead? Hahahaha. He's a talented defenseman, but this team still has an atrocious defense even with him and Hughes. A defense that'll be pulverized if this team gets into the playoffs.

8 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Arizona's already bent over and ready to go.

I think Arizona doesn’t have any retention slots left. They’re using their three on Kane, Bjugstad, and OEL. But they still have some ridiculous prorated number like ~$67M in space to take cap dumps.

EDIT: never mind, @mll beat me to it ^

Edited by SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME
  • Haha 1

57 minutes ago, fanofvan said:

Ok you clearly don't understand the difference between an opinion and speculating.  Inferring, a mass amount of times, that ownership is meddling with the decisions of Management isn't an opinion, its pure speculation.

I have never claimed my opinion is more valid than Alf's, I simply suggested he lay off the ownership meddling schtick.  I'm just waiting for you to ask me to meet in person so we can settle this like real men ;)

Quiche-Eating Contest Coming up at 11:00!

49 minutes ago, kodos said:

They traded freshly acquired draft picks for a d-man this week. The fact that they would draw an arbitrary line here and not make this deal is absolutely bizarre and reeks of Aquilini doing the exact same shit that he’s been doing for a decade. Not trading Miller and getting out from that contract is going to be the biggest mistake this franchise has ever made.

Hoo-Boy; were you around in the prior millennia?

• Cheers 3

14 minutes ago, RWJC said:

If it was my money that owned the Canucks you can be sure I would be involved. I don’t know what % the Canucks are of the Acquilini wealth but it is likely substantial. I suspect they are great fans of the team but protecting their investment has a role. As a long term fan I can never remember a ownership group that has supported the team as well financially as the Acquillinis. Best we have had. I would be shocked if management does not do at least monthly in depth reports to ownership. That’s a good thing. Opportunity for JR to educate ownership. 

I find the ‘hands off’ idea by many fans by ownership is somewhat naive. I highly doubt ownership is involved at the GM level. But a decision to build around Petey and Hughes versus a full tear down will have ownership involvement. It has too. No matter how that decision is made the back and forth builds continuity and knowledge. 

• Cheers 1

45 minutes ago, RWJC said:

Totally agree with you there. I like what’s happening with this club in contrast to where it’s been. Definitely polarizing but when in recent memory hasn’t this organization acted in that way to a degree. 

And you’d think someone like JR would be given autonomy, but considering the cash flow going out between coaches, bonuses and long term high $ deals in just the last few years alone, it’d be very hard to insulate the Aquilini group from those transactions/approvals in what is being spent and where. In that sense alone there is definitely real-time integration between mgmt’s office and ownership, and we both know who calls the shots in that relationship. So, imho, it’s quite plausible that there is a continual cloud of influence over mgmt and their decisions. 

JR said one of his most important duties is to manage up.

• Cheers 1

19 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

PA also signed a 29 year old player to an 8 year contract, when he had very little pressure to do so. The trade that sent Bo packing could have been made using Miller instead, but for some reason Bo was the odd man out. 

Yet, this management group said on more than one occasion that they weren't interested in trading picks. You actually think that Hronek puts the whole rebuild three years ahead? Hahahaha. He's a talented defenseman, but this team still has an atrocious defense even with him and Hughes. A defense that'll be pulverized if this team gets into the playoffs.

Your first point is basically what I said; Bo instead of Miller last year. Reasons why...who knows; they misgauged Bo's value, liked JT more.... I don't know. In the end, this is the trade we wanted last year with JT, and I am happy with it this year.

It sets it ahead bc Hronek is already developed vs someone we draft at 12-20 OAL. The idea that a top4 RHD with 2 years team control costs less than a first is or is even available in FA is laughable.

And lets hold out how Hronek and Hughes play together until they have actually taken the ice. I don't know what you have been watching, but our team defense, even with 60% being AHLers, has been decent the last 5 or so games. Playing in a system will benefit the D as a whole.

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1

2 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

I highly doubt ownership is involved at the GM level. But a decision to build around Petey and Hughes versus a full tear down will have ownership involvement. It has too. No matter how that decision is made the back and forth builds continuity and knowledge. 

For sure it has ownership approval and it's a smart business (as well as hockey) decision.  If retooling around Pettersson and Hughes doesn't work, they will bring back major assets in a trade, but not to even try to build a team around them would be a crime.  We are about 4-5 years past the time when tearing it all down made sense.

• Cheers 2