The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Time's up! Finish your last sentence...

AngryElf

5 hours ago, billabong said:

To pitt: boeser (650,000 retained), Burroughs 

to van: pettersson, 2nd round pick 2023 

I’d like to have both Joseph and pettersson but I just don’t see pitt giving both up and blowing up the left side of their D 

I think the idea is Boeser gets retained in the 1.5m ranger bringing his cap closer to Pettersson's so the deal can work. 

Pittsburgh has been open to moving Pettersson for some time, an indictment on his level of play or not he is a legit NHL defenseman. Add him with Joseph an up and coming dman youve replaced a winger with two NHL dmen that upgrade on the dmen that have been moved and are much younger.

I don't think we are getting the two defensemen back with retaining under a million.

Pettersson seems to have pretty good overall numbers. Good amount of blocks and hits. His turnover ratio isn’t too bad. Plays 20 minutes a game. +\- has never been a minus over a full season. I can’t say I know a ton about him but just on basic stats he looks solid. Obviously doesn’t add much offensively but we really need a good defensive guy anyway. 

4 hours ago, J-23 said:

The left side already has Hughes and OEL. Rather trade for picks. 

Though apparently Alvin likes Pettersson so he’s probably a Canuck 

I think Allvin is trying to prep for the future arrival of dman Elias Pettersson and the inevitable day when we end up in 3 v 3 overtime with the game winning goal of Petey to Petey to Petey for the win. Allvin wants the memes. 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, N4ZZY said:

is POJ any good? 

He’s alright. Could be a found money player. Could be Derrick Pouliot.

More importantly than actually getting POJ back is that we’d be subtracting one of our many overpriced wingers for cap space and another body to help reshape the structure of our defense.

Man this OEL contract just sucks so bad. 

No matter how you slice it, a buyout is just so painful. The two seasons where the cap penalty is greatest are also probably the seasons we want to make a serious run in the playoffs - all our core pieces will be in their primes. 

Idk how they work their way out of this one. 

• Sad 1
  • There it is 1

1 hour ago, eeeeergh said:

No matter how you slice it, a buyout is just so painful. The two seasons where the cap penalty is greatest are also probably the seasons we want to make a serious run in the playoffs - all our core pieces will be in their primes. 

I suspect they hang on to OEL into next year and re-evaluate their mix after this TDL and next fall’s training camp. His cap hit is a problem which lends itself to keep playing him even as a 3D.

• Cheers 1

19 hours ago, DrJockitch said:

Good deadline so far but need to see a big subtraction to call it a success. 
I mean we got a tangible asset for Stillman and took back no salary.   That is amazing just on its own. 
A team willing to move on from its mistakes, that is refreshing. 

A prime example of why we need to be more patient.    If they trade Brock - there will be a lot of CDCers that probably should start writing their apology letters.   They are not mistakes if they are calculated and part of a plan.   Dumping Dickie turned into a win win for us.    Stillman a good tank commander,  cap off the books for a couple seasons, and close to a second round prospect level guy back already drafted and a year developed.    If they manage Myers or Brock or Garland .... especially Brock it's a pretty good start.    Quite a few actually preferred letting Brock walk then signing him.    Sure some salary retention might occur.   Next year won't matter that much anyways.   So with Myers a win.   Brock is going to be judged a little later - and of course the returns matter too.    

• Cheers 2

3 hours ago, CanuckFan1123 said:

I think Allvin is trying to prep for the future arrival of dman Elias Pettersson and the inevitable day when we end up in 3 v 3 overtime with the game winning goal of Petey to Petey to Petey for the win. Allvin wants the memes. 

Maybe the plan is to make Devils really envious of the Petey to Petey to Petey, so they'll offer way over the odds for QH...

1 hour ago, eeeeergh said:

I still think there's the possibility for him to thrive in a less chaotic Canucks team under Tocchet. He certainly doesn't carry the play and may never play up to what he's getting paid, but there's hope for a sub-optimal outcome. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, eeeeergh said:

I'm starting to wonder if OEL is not a candidate for really long-term injury status like Hossa was, for example.

Seems like he's always been playing through something or another; because that contract sucks.

4 hours ago, Mike Vanderhoek said:

I think the idea is Boeser gets retained in the 1.5m ranger bringing his cap closer to Pettersson's so the deal can work. 

Pittsburgh has been open to moving Pettersson for some time, an indictment on his level of play or not he is a legit NHL defenseman. Add him with Joseph an up and coming dman youve replaced a winger with two NHL dmen that upgrade on the dmen that have been moved and are much younger.

I don't think we are getting the two defensemen back with retaining under a million.

So then there's no cap savings for van. What's the point?

4 minutes ago, Goal:thecup said:

I'm starting to wonder if OEL is not a candidate for really long-term injury status like Hossa was, for example.

Seems like he's always been playing through something or another; because that contract sucks.

I just dont understand what happened

Last year he seemed pretty solid defensively

This year he just seems always out of position

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, eeeeergh said:

I just dont understand what happened

Last year he seemed pretty solid defensively

This year he just seems always out of position

Yeah, he looks like he just doesn't have 'it' anymore; no hustle; no hard-hitting; no hunger.

Hope he has a GREAT GAME tomorrow so somebody gets fooled into taking him off our hands for a small amount of sweeteners.

Feed him Petey!  5 assists for Pettersson and OEL with his best night ever; maybe get him some bananas and coke.

Take a brutal contract back (as long as its term is short); F I Don't Know.

• Like 1