The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Canucks trade Luke Schenn to Maple Leafs for 2023 3rd-round pick

22 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

It's almost like there's more to a player's value than points. Chiarot plays a lot more. Is leaned on a lot more. And prior to playing with Hughes, Schenn provided next to no scoring. You don't think teams with million dollar budgets aren't in the know? People act like teams only look back as far as a week or even a year. Beauvillier is near a ppg with us, do you think a team will give us a 1st rounder for him? Horvat was on like a 50 goal pace, he didn't exactly bring in a major haul. Hughes and Petey inflate player's numbers. This is not this well kept secret we think it is.

20 minutes ago, iinatcc said:

To be honest in most cases Schenn for a 3rd makes sense as the median return he could have fetched.

But the East it at a arms race one would think Vancouver could have squeezed Toronto for a bit more (perhaps a 2nd round pick ?)

They apparently turned down a 2nd for him last year, and with the nutty trades going on right now, I was hoping for that at minimum.

1 minute ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

It's raining picks! Hallelujah it's raining picks!

Let's go ... keep going! Keep rolling! 

Having 8 picks in 7 rounds is not actually that great for a bottom 6-7 team. Nashville has like 11 picks this year, 9 next year. 3 of their picks next year are 2nd rounders too. Also, we only have 6 picks in 7 rounds next year. Raining picks is not what I'd say describing our situation.

1 minute ago, Jester13 said:

They apparently turned down a 2nd for him last year, and with the nutty trades going on right now, I was hoping for that at minimum.

2nd rounder last year is 2 playoff runs, trading for him this year is 1 playoff run. Which is why I been advocating trading Myers at 50% retained now. Instead of next year. Trading for a guy for 2 playoff runs is better than 1.

9 minutes ago, timberz21 said:

Funny when everyone keeps thinking that someone we traded at the deadline will come back this summer.

How often does that actually happen?  Like 1 out of 1,000?

Well, when someone becomes an unrestricted free agent at the end of the season, they can choose to sign anywhere they want. 

For those that say Hughes propped Schenn up. Schenn only had 7 2ndary assists  61% of his assists were primary assists. Not to take anything away from Hughes but only 46% of Hughes assists were primary assists. 

I think this return for Schenn is not a good one. I only wish we could get a player like Schenn for a 3rd. Instead we got Travis Dermott. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, N7Nucks said:

Having 8 picks in 7 rounds is not actually that great for a bottom 6-7 team. Nashville has like 11 picks this year, 9 next year. 3 of their picks next year are 2nd rounders too. Also, we only have 6 picks in 7 rounds next year. Raining picks is not what I'd say describing our situation.

Wow, so serious!

You know, when it's the most picks in franchise history, which is significant, especially given our atrocious drafting history, I'm going to say it's closer to raining picks than not. To me, it's raining picks. And in our case, since we've had far too many busts, the more picks the better. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

6 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

It's not. But based on our past history, this is a windfall.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, hammertime said:

For those that say Hughes propped Schenn up. Schenn only had 7 2ndary assists  61% of his assists were primary assists. Not to take anything away from Hughes but only 46% of Hughes assists were primary assists. 

I think this return for Schenn is not a good one. I only wish we could get a player like Schenn for a 3rd. Instead we got Travis Dermott. 

I agree. I can't believe no team offered up a second. Pollak got two seconds a few years back!!

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, TheQuietQuitter said:

I recall Alvin saying on record that they were seeking at least a 3rd for Schenn so his value was already established.

Best Case Ontario: Leafs choke and Schenn signs with the Canucks in FA.

Worst Case Ontario: Leafs win the Cup and Schenn re-signs with TO.

+1 for the TPB reference. 

1 minute ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

Wow, so serious!

You know, when it's the most picks in franchise history, which is significant, especially given our atrocious drafting history, I'm going to say it's closer to raining picks than not. To me, it's raining picks. And in our case, since we've had far too many busts, the more picks the better. 

Just the facts. It's the most in our history. It's why our history is kind of miserable. We have small windows here and there. Filled with mediocrity. 14 picks in 2 years is almost like not having added any picks at all.

• Sad 1

Here's one thing that seems odd when it comes to management. They've done almost every deal but address or acquire D?:huh:

Maybe there's a spot opening up for Livingstone but adding Bear (and previously Stillman...who was just traded) isn't really addressing a major problem for the team this year or years ahead.

Edited by BureBurrito