The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Kings trade Jonathan Quick, conditional 2023 1st-round pick, 2024 3rd-round pick to Blue Jackets for Vladislav Gavrikov, Jonas Korpisalo

1 minute ago, DeNiro said:

A Demko trade to LA starts with one of those pieces though. Don’t wanna part with them then no deal.

They want to get him at this time of year and take on their overpaid goalie in the minors then they need to pay up. Simple as that.

Theres lots of teams that would have interest in Demko if they did wanna trade him. We could do a lot better than a Grans in a deal. Pittsburgh and Buffalo both have better pieces including top goalie prospects, which would be a must for me in any deal.

This trade seems to signal that they aren't in on Demko.  Vancouver would at least ask for the 1st.  Waddell says Allvin made it clear that the principal he was looking for in the Horvat trade was the highest 1st possible.  LA just traded theirs.  

Just now, mll said:

This trade seems to signal that they aren't in on Demko.  Vancouver would at least ask for the 1st.  Waddell says Allvin made it clear that the principal he was looking for in the Horvat trade was the highest 1st possible.  LA just traded theirs.  

They would ask for Byfield or Clarke and LA would say no.

Fastest trade discussion ever. :lol:

Just now, DeNiro said:

They would ask for Byfield or Clarke and LA would say no.

Fastest trade discussion ever. :lol:

Exactly.  

Might also be because Vancouver made it clear that Demko is not available.  He shut down the idea that he wanted to move when he spoke to media coming back from injury.  

57 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

I agree it doesn’t make sense on its own.

Why not just trade for Gavrikov? I don’t think you ship out a fan favourite all time great goalie at this time of the year for a minor upgrade in net.

LA freed up almost $2 million in cap space by trading Quick to make another move...

38 minutes ago, mll said:

Shocking move.  Was really convinced they wouldn't do that to Quick. He was really brutal on their road trip though.  

They didn't have the cap space to take both Gavrikov 2.8M + Korpisalo 1.3M although CBJ could have retained.  

Wonder if it's simply to avoid having to carry 3 goalies.  That can often get complicated.  Would also have them forced to create more roster spots.

I'm not sure they needed Korpisalo though, I dunno. Seems like a lot to give up Quick given what he means to that franchise if there isn't a follow up of sorts.

32 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

A Demko trade to LA starts with one of those pieces though. Don’t wanna part with them then no deal.

They want to get him at this time of year and take on their overpaid goalie in the minors then they need to pay up. Simple as that.

Theres lots of teams that would have interest in Demko if they did wanna trade him. We could do a lot better than Grans in a deal. Pittsburgh and Buffalo both have better pieces including top goalie prospects, which would be a must for me in any deal.

I guess we probably disagree on Demko's value then. I don't see him being worth an A+ prospect. 

You might get a lesser 1st round talent like Pickering from Pittsburgh but I don't value Demko at an A+ prospect level. They'd be more likely to give up another 1st over them imo. But yes, they'd need to pay us to take on Petersen. 

Even Buffalo's 1st is more likely to be middling, same goes for Pittsburgh. Although Buffalo does have plenty of prospects. 

Edited by Coconuts

Just now, Coconuts said:

I'm not sure they needed Korpisalo though, I dunno. Seems like a lot to give up Quick given what he means to that franchise if there isn't a follow up of sorts.

I guess we probably disagree on Demko's value then. I don't see him being worth an A+ prospect. 

You might get a lesser 1st round talent like Pickering from Pittsburgh but I don't value Demko at an A+ prospect level. They'd be more likely to give up another 1st over them imo. But yes, they'd need to pay us to take on Petersen. 

To trade within the division it would have to be an A+ prospect otherwise where’s the motivation?

Id rather a package of Pickering, Blomqvist, and a 1st from Pittsburgh. I think that fits our needs better.

Just now, Spoosh said:

There are almost no trades left to make on TDL at this rate. ::D

Pretty decent return for both team on this one.

It’s gonna be the role players that go for like 4th and 5th round picks come deadline day.