The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Red Wings trade Filip Hronek, 2023 4th-round pick to Canucks for conditional 2023 1st-round pick (NYI), 2023 2nd-round pick

9 minutes ago, awalk said:

It's always the same people who can't seem to look beyond the next game and the desperate need to win meaningless games.

Hronek is an up and coming 25 year old with one year left on a decent contract and then RFA; 3 years of team control. He is not an underperforming Dman with a 7 years of contract left...come on guys! In the end, players of his calibre and dev cost 1st rounders. I am more upset that we moved the 2nd vs. TO's 3rd and no 4th coming back.

As for OEL, lets see how he does in 23/24 when he is not asked to play stupid minutes in a role that doesn't suit him. I think he'll perform quite well at 15min a night with a more suited partner. Once Myers contrcat expires, it will be alot easier for us to find a 4th defensive Dman with the 1st pair resolved.

Edited by BC_Hawk

1 minute ago, BigTramFan said:

If we only need to find a 3rd pairing Dman that can PK, then I think we can do that (e.g. Clifton, T Van Riemsdyk, Gudas, Soucy, Holl are all pending UFAs).

But I am not overly comfortable with OEL or Bear on the second pairing (fine if we are tanking/rebuilding) but apparently, we are not!

A lot hinges on OEL recovering from whatever was slowing him down this season.  

Bear’s mobility helps a lot, though. 

It’s not a perfect picture for sure without hoping for some improvements individually and systems-wise.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

How do we afford to pay him in a year when his contract comes up? We have OEL and his 7.2 on the cap.

why worry about that now, worry about that than, and we dodnt even know what he is wanting, so only time will tell

1 minute ago, NUCKER67 said:

If they tear it down, Petey and Hughes are gone.

Canucks need to stay competitive and Simashev or Heidt or whoever is not going to help them. Maybe if ever.

Canucks got better by adding Hronek and it's going to help them now and in the future. They've added some really good young promising pieces and they'll add at least one more with their 1st this year. 

See this is the problem 

they rebuild some  worry petey hughes leave.. 

who cares. trade them for a windfall of picks prospects and build a freaking full deep hockey team. 
We aren’t good enough to win a cup we can’t worry about two players when we need 23 

we aren’t deep at any position we have zero depth 

so what we keep EP and Hughes and never win anything. 

Sedins same thing wont be fair to them to rebuild, what pile of crap.
I thought winning a cup was the goal of nhl franchises not worrying about two players and their feelings. 
WelI hope ep and Hughes like being mediocre because that’s the fantastic path this ownership is dead set on maintaining. 
if they wanted to keep making trades like this they should have just saved money and keep  their first puppet dim Benning. 
this is a Waste of a 1st and 2nd.

I wonder what age gap crap we’ll trade out 1st for. 

I will now be cheering for the Isles to make the playoffs and be real good next year too. Looking at the overall Horvat package now is more or less what we wanted in return, except a 1st instead of Beauvillier. It's interesting because most first thoughts with the Horvat deal was upset that we didn't get a RD out of it, but I think others just like me fell in love with the idea of Reinbacher. 

If we can now flip a winger like Boeser or Garland for some picks then the overall picture looks alright even though this trade in a nutshell has my gut sunken. 

1 minute ago, BC_Hawk said:

Hronek is an up and coming 25 year old with one year left on a decent contract and then RFA; 3 years of team control. He is not an underperforming Dman with a 7 years of contract left...come on guys! In the end, players of his calibre and dev cost 1st rounders. I am more upset that we moved the 2nd vs. TO's 3rd and no 4th coming back.

As for OEL, lets see how he does in 23/24 when he is not asked to play stupid minutes in a role that doesn't suit him. I think he'll perform quite well at 15min a night with a more suited partner. Once Myers contrcat expires, it will be alot easier for us to find a 4th defensive Dman with the 1st pair resolved.

Up and coming sorta ends around 26 so he's right on the cusp of being whatever he's gonna be. And he's gonna be up for a raise after this year. 

Fine player, maybe even a great add, but this isn't the timing to do it IMHO. Adding that 2nd stings a lot.

9 minutes ago, awalk said:

If Hronek is so good and a top pairing D man, why would the Red Wings -- who are in building mode -- trade a 25 year old RFA D man, unless they were getting an absolute steal of a deal? 

Allvin got robbed here. 

Seider is the Redwings top line RHD. 

Also, you wouldn’t want Hughes and Hronek on the same pairing. That’s why I suspect Hronek will be the 2nd pairing RHD and quarterback the 2nd PP. 

• There it is 1