The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Trade: Detroit Red Wings trade Tyler Bertuzzi to Boston Bruins

47 minutes ago, Master Mind said:

They are rebuilding properly.

We can see the progress they've made, and they have a ton of draft picks to continue building.

Meanwhile the Canucks keep attempting short-sighted solutions that leave us in the same position year after year -- a struggling team with no cap space and no assets.

The only players we currently have that have value are the players we don't want to trade. Every player we have outside of Petey, Hughes and some of our prospects do not have enough value around the league to get good picks.

That's the main problem right now. Nobody wants our garbage

• Huggy Bear 1
  • Vintage 1

45 minutes ago, rychicken said:

CDC said we need more picks, so Allvin traded him for a 5th round pick in 2025

To be fair, they also said we need to start rebuilding the blueline asap.....you can't have both. Acquiring good young dmen... especially RHD was going to costs picks or assets regardless.  

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

Just now, timberz21 said:

Back to my original point, how many times did we see this with Arizona, Oilers, Columbus and Sabres?   Oilers pulled out of the bottom for one reason only, they got lucky and got a McJesus.

Doesn't matter. We're not doing a total tear down rebuild.

So let's look at canucks vs red wings right now. 

All things are fairly equal in terms of standings. We have a franchise D and a superstar C, they have a franchise D and a superstar C.

So logically, I look at where's the next set of comparables? Ok well for me, when the team starts to grow into a playoff team, you need assets to move to acquire help, you need prospects and good players on ELC. So I look at the prospect pools, the current draft capital, and the projected cap space, and I start to see one team looking like they are in a significantly better position. 

If you disagree on how a team is built, fine, we'll never agree. But I'm not gonna look at the standings and say oh wow they aren't in the playoffs so clearly it's the same situation. 

1 minute ago, JayDangles said:

The only players we currently have that have value are the players we don't want to trade. Every player we have outside of Petey, Hughes and some of our prospects do not have enough value around the league to get good picks.

That's the main problem right now. Nobody wants our garbage

100%,

Boeser, Garland, OEL, Myers etc. aren't bring back good young RHD or higher picks. We will likely be ADDING assets to get rid of them. 

The only way we improve our blueline with adding good young Dmen is with picks and assets. 

This isn't a particularly great draft for defenseman, so I can understand why they made this trade. I really wanted that other 1st round pick though. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Yeah, maybe they'll pick Zadina over Hughes again. :bigblush:

Got to feel bad for Larkin and Seider, playing on such a crap team that's about to get crappier. 

I remember saying the same thing about Stevie Y in the early 90's - things seemed to work out for him eventually.

N

1 hour ago, Master Mind said:

They are rebuilding properly.

We can see the progress they've made, and they have a ton of draft picks to continue building.

Meanwhile the Canucks keep attempting short-sighted solutions that leave us in the same position year after year -- a struggling team with no cap space and no assets.

Detroit just traded one of their best forwards and best defensemen. That will set them back a little.

The Canucks are not rebuilding, they have explained this to anyone who would listen. They have accumulated picks as well and just addressed a major team need by acquiring a RHD that will be a core piece here.

Because this is not a sexy " rebuild " people just assume its a lost cause, its not working and best of all fans who wanted to build off picks alone or rebuild think the Canucks as in current NHL management group is wrong or not understanding what they are doing. Its comical. They already have the core pieces obtained in their " rebuild " attempt with Petey Hughes Demko....now they are molding, adding, changing as they said they would.

You don't have to like the moves. This new management group is really just continuing their stated goals and message from day one just over a year ago now.

This trade involved a first, so be it. The team just made a major move and a major add to the team's blueline. A player who will be exciting and fit into the style of play here. Yet people scold the team, fans no better, it gets ripped lol. 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

Detroit adding another 1st.

They're ahead of us in the standings, yet still have the discipline to sell and collect assets to build a better future.

This is how it's done. If only the Canucks could see this.

Meddling ownership will do this

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1
  • RoughGame 1

4 minutes ago, Mike Vanderhoek said:

Detroit just traded one of their best forwards and best defensemen. That will set them back a little.

The Canucks are not rebuilding, they have explained this to anyone who would listen. They have accumulated picks as well and just addressed a major team need by acquiring a RHD that will be a core piece here.

Because this is not a sexy " rebuild " people just assume its a lost cause, its not working and best of all fans who wanted to build off picks alone or rebuild think the Canucks as in current NHL management group is wrong or not understanding what they are doing. Its comical. They already have the core pieces obtained in their " rebuild " attempt with Petey Hughes Demko....now they are molding, adding, changing as they said they would.

You don't have to like the moves. This new management group is really just continuing their stated goals and message from day one just over a year ago now.

This trade involved a first, so be it. The team just made a major move and a major add to the team's blueline. A player who will be exciting and fit into the style of play here. Yet people scold the team, fans no better, it gets ripped lol. 

We have been attempting this approach for nearly a decade, with little results to show for. So yes, I think it is a lost cause to continue down this road.

I don't like the price paid for Hronek, nor the timing. I'd much rather have waited until we knew what was happening with that NYI pick before moving it. If DET said it's now or never, then I'd choose never. Especially paying a 1st and 2nd, that's far too much for us when we have such a thin prospect pool.

I also don't think he's this legit top 4 D that some here are claiming. If that were true, DET wouldn't have moved him. Just from watching him play over the years too, I don't like his game, not for the Canucks anyway.

• There it is 1

7 minutes ago, Mike Vanderhoek said:

I cannot understand why some are all that surprised and frustrated by the Hronek move.  Rutherford clearly stated during his major surgery press conference that  "My preference is when we make deals, it's not necessarily for draft picks who may come in and help the team four years or five years from now. I would prefer to get younger NHL players that may not have worked out well on the entry-level contracts and bring them in to get a second chance,"  Him and Allvin are doing EXACTLY what they said they were going to do.

• Cheers 1
  • There it is 1

Detroit adding another 1st.

They're ahead of us in the standings, yet still have the discipline to sell and collect assets to build a better future.

This is how it's done. If only the Canucks could see this.

But they need top tier players like EP and QH (who they passed over in the draft). They have quantity but don't really have the top end quality yet.

I would like the Canucks to be more methodical as well but it will be interesting to see if mgmt can add more Hronek types for next season...tough to do but if the pull it off legendary. 

End of the day, if mgmt fails with the quick re-tool, they will at least have young assets to trade and rebuild with.

Just now, Master Mind said:

We have been attempting this approach for nearly a decade, with little results to show for. So yes, I think it is a lost cause to continue down this road.

I don't like the price paid for Hronek, nor the timing. I'd much rather have waited until we knew what was happening with that NYI pick before moving it. If DET said it's now or never, then I'd choose never. Especially paying a 1st and 2nd, that's far too much for us when we have such a thin prospect pool.

I also don't think he's this legit top 4 D that some here are claiming. If that were true, DET wouldn't have moved him. Just from watching him play over the years too, I don't like his game, not for the Canucks anyway.

And add to your concerns about Hronek the fact that he's a 50 point D man who needs a new contract (that will buy UFA years) in a year. So how much will he be getting? Yes, next season he's only counting 4.1 on the cap. But Seravelli just said on 650 Hronek will be a 7+ guy on his next contract. 

Just now, Alflives said:

And add to your concerns about Hronek the fact that he's a 50 point D man who needs a new contract (that will buy UFA years) in a year. So how much will he be getting? Yes, next season he's only counting 4.1 on the cap. But Seravelli just said on 650 Hronek will be a 7+ guy on his next contract. 

His contract ends the same time as Myers.  So he is basically Myers' replacement.

• Vintage 1
  • There it is 1

I really like beetuzzi at one point I was hoping maybe for a boeser beetuzzi swap but then we would have so many LHS lol

1st 2nd Boeser for

Hronek and Bertuzzi

something like that would have been nice 

Edited by R3aL
  • Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, fanofvan said:

I cannot understand why some are all that surprised and frustrated by the Hronek move.  Rutherford clearly stated during his major surgery press conference that  "My preference is when we make deals, it's not necessarily for draft picks who may come in and help the team four years or five years from now. I would prefer to get younger NHL players that may not have worked out well on the entry-level contracts and bring them in to get a second chance,"  Him and Allvin are doing EXACTLY what they said they were going to do.

For sure. But is that what they believe is best, or is that what our owner insists is done? IMHAO, the history of how our owner has set the direction for the quick fix at the cost of the future supports he's not changed. 

4 minutes ago, Alflives said:

6-8 range depending on the term I think ya