The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Father stabbed to death outside Vancouver Starbucks after asking man to not vape near his toddler

PhillipBlunt

The real problem is our lax system and it pains me that my hard earned tax dollars will pay for this scumbags life from now on.

If he did this in somewhere like Saudi Arabia he would be publicly beheaded for his crimes.

Something has to change i hope they make an example of this clown. Zero remorse you can see it in the video.

f**k this is infuriating.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Warhippy said:

Sir,

I suggest you look at the linked twitter vids in the Ukraine thread.

people joke about body parts being flung about.  how the thermal cam caught the spray of that guy like a water balloon hitting the pavement or how watching people being openly shot is like watching a cosplay call of duty.

To answer you; yes.  It is gd sad but yes.  We are that desensitized.  I am in fact kind of shocked I didn't hear some chattering ape yelling world star while shoving their camera in to the act for a better angle.  I again suggest that the murderer stabbing him, only to walk back in with his phone in his hand, start texting; come back out and then call the dying man a b***h; only to go back in lean against the bins and keep texting is just a mirror to the guy recording it for digital clout.

We as a society are absolutely screwed.  We can watch murders happen and complain that it wasn't a better camera angle or it wasn't shot in landscape over portrait or that it was shot on an iPhone 11 with less quality 4k and motion capture as equally apathetic as we do walking by teenagers starving on the street due to broken homes and pretending that they don't exist.

I think I need to bow out of the forum for a day or two.  Having seen that video this morning and seeing how beautiful it is outside today I think I want to choose to pretend the world is a better place than it really is.  As a father and a husband I am just kind of honestly saddened over all this and sick to my core from how far we as a society have fallen. 

This ^^

5 hours ago, Bell said:

The world is melting down.  Very sad for the little kid and wife watching that horrible action of a lunatic.  Hopefully the person who did the stabbing spends the rest of his days locked in a cell with a 320 lb killer who really likes men.

Personally; I would rather they just shoot A-holes like this.

1 hour ago, BlakeQuinnAndEggs said:

Fair enough,  as a Starbucks loving family man with a toddler daughter this one hits close. That could have been me or any of us. I would love to be locked in a cage with that goof he would feel some real justice.

I will delete my original post I apologize if I offended anyone 

I get it. 

As a father of a young daughter, this is beyond disgusting and infuriating. 

I don’t hold it against you. It’s easy to misplace one’s anger at times. 

Edited by Sharpshooter
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

20 minutes ago, John_Guest said:

Seems like there's more and stabbings these days. 

Something needs to be done about these damned "Assault Knives." Get on it Justin. 

I just did an emergency first aid course.

A logger dude was brandishing a large bowie knife in a sheath on his side. Like dudes did when I was a little kid. 

It was a hands on class. I have a few giggles watching him be rolled around by his partner with this silly large blade. I know you're making a joke but seriously what is with every second dude carrying knifes again?

I lived in Van for many years.

It's gone to shit. 

We need to $upport the police and task them with what we used to have.... Address people that loiter, use drugs in public, and remove any structures (such as tent) immediately. 

• Cheers 1

I fear it will only get worse if they don't quickly reopen a hospital to house the sick. Get these people off the streets!  We pay enough f**king money to live here Is asking for safety too much? Makes me so angry that the big priority seems to be finding good drugs for the homeless. Holy crap.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

40 minutes ago, BlakeQuinnAndEggs said:

The real problem is our lax system and it pains me that my hard earned tax dollars will pay for this scumbags life from now on.

If he did this in somewhere like Saudi Arabia he would be publicly beheaded for his crimes.

Something has to change i hope they make an example of this clown. Zero remorse you can see it in the video.

f**k this is infuriating.

It actually costs more to put someone on death row than putting them in jail for 30 years in the states!

https://ejusa.org/resource/wasteful-inefficient/

And a capital case costs more than the average non capital case

https://deathpenaltyinfo.org/policy-issues/costs/summary-of-states-death-penalty

As someone who thinks the death penalty should be reserved for specific types of people like the Starbucks murderer, I’d be more than willing to use my hard earned tax dollars to wipe deadbeats off the planet. I really do believe some folks deserve to forfeit their freedoms and autonomy for their heinous acts.

I understand though it’s a slippery slope, I mean everyone’s opinions on the death penalty and cost for trial/housing for inmates is vastly subjective, never mind the moral basis of revenge. Even religious people have different views and beliefs on revenge and so if really is a very complex issue.

Edited by Odd.
  • Vintage 1

2 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

I don't want to derail the thread, but I've seen a couple of posts now that are assuming the attacker was mentally ill......I've seen no mention of, nor evidence of this.

Some people are just assholes....

Like the ashole who just killed an innocent man in front of his daughter and multiple witnesses??? 

WTF are you on calling some people assholes? 

1 minute ago, RUPERTKBD said:

I don't want to derail the thread, but I've seen a couple of posts now that are assuming the attacker was mentally ill......I've seen no mention of, nor evidence of this.

You'd almost have to assume he is, no? From what I've read he's got no prior criminal record. How does a 32 year old with no prior history suddenly escalate to murder? Does he just lack the mental/emotional maturity to control himself? You'd think this would've surfaced at some point already. 

It's an odd one to me. I'm assuming there's going to be some sort of psychiatric evaluation and I hope we get to see the assessment. If he's given a clean bill of mental health I hope he spends the rest of his life behind bars. 

1 minute ago, BarnBurner said:

Like the ashole who just killed an innocent man in front of his daughter and multiple witnesses??? 

I think you've misunderstood who Rupe was referring to as the asshole in this situation.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, BarnBurner said:

Calm down....the killer is the one I was referring to....

Just now, Sean Monahan said:

You'd almost have to assume he is, no? From what I've read he's got no prior criminal record. How does a 32 year old with no prior history suddenly escalate to murder? Does he just lack the mental/emotional maturity to control himself? You'd think this would've surfaced at some point already. 

It's an odd one to me. I'm assuming there's going to be some sort of psychiatric evaluation and I hope we get to see the assessment. If he's given a clean bill of mental health I hope he spends the rest of his life behind bars. 

I've read up on this a fair amount and by the clinical definition these people rarely turn out to be mentally ill....which is actually a good thing, or we'd see a lot more of these scumbags walk.

Vince Li was mentally ill. This guy? It's possible, but I'm skeptical.

Just now, RUPERTKBD said:

I've read up on this a fair amount and by the clinical definition these people rarely turn out to be mentally ill....which is actually a good thing, or we'd see a lot more of these scumbags walk.

Is this just a case of a bad apple then? I find this so baffling. I can't imagine taking a life (and ruining your own in the process) because somebody asked you not to vape near their child. 

Just now, RUPERTKBD said:

Unfortunately, mentally ill isn't exactly a term that's black and white and it's going to have a lot of times where it's slapped onto to some people who aren't mentally ill while also being not given to people who are mentally ill.

And then there's the debate of how exactly does being "mentally ill" actually change things in terms of the act of violence. I think it's used too often as an excuse in cases like these which can be sickening at times given a man has lost his life.

Just now, Sean Monahan said:

Is this just a case of a bad apple then? I find this so baffling. I can't imagine taking a life (and ruining your own in the process) because somebody asked you not to vape near their child. 

Could be a gang member. Could just be a prick. I don't know the guy....

That being said, during my "career" as a traveling musician, I've played in a few biker bars where that sort of reaction wouldn't have been shocking.

• Cheers 1

Just now, The Lock said:

Unfortunately, mentally ill isn't exactly a term that's black and white and it's going to have a lot of times where it's slapped onto to some people who aren't mentally ill while also being not given to people who are mentally ill.

And then there's the debate of how exactly does being "mentally ill" actually change things in terms of the act of violence. I think it's used too often as an excuse in cases like these which can be sickening at times given a man has lost his life.

Agreed. I think there has to be some sort of cross wiring in the brain for someone to casually murder someone else over something so minor. However, my understanding (based on what I have read on the subject) is that the legal definition, when it comes to committing a criminal act is pretty narrow.

In regards to your second paragraph, I'd say that one would have to truly not realize that what they were doing was wrong. I doubt this case fits that criterion.

• Cheers 1

11 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Fair enough. 

If you re-read your post, it's not clear who you are calling asshole. 

Although, based on the fact you typed assholes, and your seen a couple of posts comment, it's easy for someone to assume you're calling the couple of posters assholes.

You need to be more clear. 

2 minutes ago, BarnBurner said:

Fair enough. 

If you re-read your post, it's not clear who you are calling asshole. 

Although, based on the fact you typed assholes, and your seen a couple of posts comment, it's easy for someone to assume you're calling the couple of posters assholes.

You need to be more clear.

Duly noted.

Sorry for the confusion.

• Cheers 1