The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Father stabbed to death outside Vancouver Starbucks after asking man to not vape near his toddler

PhillipBlunt

6 hours ago, Fanuck said:

Why just violent crimes?  What would be the harm in tightening up the consequences of pretty much any crime? 

Well I am not sure we should be giving lengthy sentences from carrying drugs anymore unless it’s a substantial amount. Aka you’re dealing. 

3 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Well I am not sure we should be giving lengthy sentences from carrying drugs anymore unless it’s a substantial amount. Aka you’re dealing. 

I'd like a crackdown on property crime, coupled with removing punishment for victimless crimes.

17 minutes ago, Sean Monahan said:

Is this just a case of a bad apple then? I find this so baffling. I can't imagine taking a life (and ruining your own in the process) because somebody asked you not to vape near their child. 

Most people can't. Only truly vile and disturbed people would identify or understand the reasoning of such a horrific act.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

10 minutes ago, Sharpshooter said:

Closing Riverview was among the biggest health and safety failures in decades. 

Trying to save money has ‘cost’ more to our society in blood and treasure than the cost savings. 

True. Was there a few weeks back. Most of the buildings are falling to ruin and some are completely condemned. 90+ acres sitting empty. The BC Liberals (especially the loathsome Gordon Campbell and Christy Clark) have the blood of every death on their hands that could have been prevented if they kept the facility open. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

True. Was there a few weeks back. Most of the buildings are falling to ruin and some are completely condemned. 90+ acres sitting empty. The BC Liberals (especially the loathsome Gordon Campbell and Christy Clark) have the blood of every death on their hands that could have been prevented if they kept the facility open. 

100%

I loathe them both.

Crispy and Gordo screwed the pooch more than most people nowadays realize. 

But, that’s another argument for another thread. 

I think people of all stripes can agree that their decisions and defence of that decision has been among the worst ever for the GVRD. 

But, I digress. 

Maybe we and others can chat more about it in the BC Politics Thread in the Adults’ Table area of this Board. 

6 hours ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Exactly. Canada's justice system constantly fails its citizenry by allowing human scum like the detritus that murdered an innocent man to live freely when they should rot in a cell. Frankly, I'd be all for the death sentence, but realize how useless and dangerous the government is and don't think it should be under their jurisdiction. 

I can't tell if they're lazy, negligent or both. 

It infuriates me that our taxpayer money is going to these clowns who can't even do their jobs properly. 

What a joke.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

So what? Put an institution where? No local government will want it. It was a stupid move. It would have made sense if they closed it. Sold the land, and used the

profits to move it elsewhere. Provided a local government would be ok with it. It's like the Expo lands. A decent chunk of it should have been set up for affordable housing.

Norway taxes are around 47.3%. Yet seems to get more bang for the buck when it comes to government services.

We should start watching what the countries there are doing right and maybe try to copy them?

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

So what? Put an institution where? No local government will want it. It was a stupid move. It would have made sense if they closed it. Sold the land, and used the

profits to move it elsewhere. Provided a local government would be ok with it. It's like the Expo lands. A decent chunk of it should have been set up for affordable housing.

Norway taxes are around 47.3%. Yet seems to get more bang for the buck when it comes to government services.

We should start watching what the countries there are doing right and maybe try to copy them?

Use federal lands, if available. If not, get the Feds to buy land from the provincial govt in order to acquire the space to fund a mental health facility. 

A law of forced confinement based on factual mental health issues needs to be implemented also. 

The issue isn’t a municipal, provincial or federal one. It’s an issue that requires all 3 branches to make society safer. 

If one doesn’t act, then cut that government out by voting them out. 

Nothing motivates governments more than them losing their jobs or media scrutiny. 

Enough is enough. 

Citizenry over the time becomes complacent and doesn’t hold the elected officials accountable.

In Canada you get lame ass sentences that are slap in the face to the victims.

In the U.S you get schools that look like prisons and no gun sensible law, despite frequent massacres.

• Cheers 1

54 minutes ago, Bure2Win said:

Should fry him, save all of us paying to keep him alive in prison, an eye for eye i always say.

Cost way more to go through death row than just sticking them in prison for life.

I always feel death is the easy route out, life in solitary with no visitation or social contact sounds way better. We can give them some rope if that make some happy. 

• Vintage 1

18 minutes ago, 24K PureCool said:

Cost way more to go through death row than just sticking them in prison for life.

I always feel death is the easy route out, life in solitary with no visitation or social contact sounds way better. We can give them some rope if that make some happy. 

in this case there is no question of guilt. Quick trial and hanging. Snap his neck like a twig. 

• Cheers 2

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

in this case there is no question of guilt. Quick trial and hanging. Snap his neck like a twig. 

There will always be room for questioning. The lawyers will ensure it. 

Like I said, death is the easy way out for these murderers unless we talking slow slicing. 

• Cheers 1

This ruined my day, I'm still infuriated about it.

As a father with a daughter, it hits home like a sledgehammer....it's gut wrenching to even fathom the pain the victim's wife and their respective families are dealing with right now, and will for life....and as for the bastard looky-loos, gawking and recording on their phones? A proper shit kicking is in order.

Yes, I'm pissed!

And the most tragic thing is that here in Canada, justice will never be served....BUT, speaking of sledgehammers.....

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

53 minutes ago, 24K PureCool said:

^^^

This.

But for me, the prick doesn't get a rope, he gets a dull, rusty razor blade.

About a month ago a young guy was vaping INSIDE a coffee shop. I asked him to stop and we got in a bit of a verbal confrontation over it. I just couldn't believe that this was something I actually had to ask someone to do. As soon as the confrontation fizzled he got on his phone and started texting. I was genuinely concerned that I was going to have to deal with several of his friends showing up to fight me just because I called out shitty behavior. But this is why people seem afraid to intervene. People would rather just escalate things to avoid blame instead of taking personal responsibility. 

• Cheers 3