The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canucks sign Akito Hirose

22 hours ago, Quantum said:

With Andy Carroll signing with Abbotsford and Akito getting an ELC, I really do wonder if Jake Livingstone signs here to complete the trilogy of Minnesota-Mankato signings this Spring for the Canucks.

This is a good signing. I suspect Wolanin will be on the NHL roster all season next season so I expect Hirose will get the opportunity to be on the top pairing in Abbotsford next season.

Allvin/Rutherford are going to slow cook these prospects. The days of rushing a player into the lineup seem to be over and that's for the best.

Well Carrol small already 26 years old 5'11 bottom of Canuck prospect pool...We need some  bigger D men..

1. Johansson RD -23 - 6'1  2. E. Pettersson 20 -6'3.-- 3.Jurmo 20--6'3 -210 LBS -- Kudryavstev 19 - LD

AHL prospects - Wolanin 27 LD 6'1  Juulsen 25 -6'2 RD   --Brisebois. 25 LD --Woo 22 RD  --Rathbone 23. LD.  -- Hirose 23 LD  

Schneemann 21 -6'2 - Nychuk 21.        (( Carrol 26 -5'11 -LD ????? Bottom of prospect 26 turning pro...

• Cheers 2

23 hours ago, Pure961089 said:

What would it take to trade OEL?  Three 1st round picks?  If you could unload OELs contract and not have o retain any money, would you trade Lekkerimaki, this year's 1st rounder and next year's 1st? Do you make that trade?  I'd seriously consider it

We can buy him out next summer. 

2 years of a 4.4M cap hit

4 years of a 1.8M cap hit. 

We just need to survive one more season with him, possibly bottom pairing. 

(if we bought him out this year it would be a cap hit of 4.7M for 2 years and 2.3M for 5 years.) 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Hairy Kneel said:

We can buy him out next summer. 

2 years of a 4.4M cap hit

4 years of a 1.8M cap hit. 

We just need to survive one more season with him, possibly bottom pairing. 

(if we bought him out this year it would be a cap hit of 4.7M for 2 years and 2.3M for 5 years.) 

I’m thinking we package OEL + Garland + 2nd to Washington for Kuznetsov and Mantha (they retain $2M). Both those players will be up within 2 years and we clear up our defense. Kuznetsov has asked for a trade and I think Caps would definitely be interested in Garland and the 2nd rounder. OEL can benefit playing alongside Carlsson or  one of their other steady RHD.

Washington is going to try and remain competitive until Ovie retires so they have an incentive to try and get some more depth while they clear up immediate cap space. 

Edited by Odd.
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, wildcam said:

Well Carrol small already 26 years old 5'11 bottom of Canuck prospect pool...We need some  bigger D men..

1. Johansson RD -23 - 6'1  2. E. Pettersson 20 -6'3.-- 3.Jurmo 20--6'3 -210 LBS -- Kudryavstev 19 - LD

AHL prospects - Wolanin 27 LD 6'1  Juulsen 25 -6'2 RD   --Brisebois. 25 LD --Woo 22 RD  --Rathbone 23. LD.  -- Hirose 23 LD  

Schneemann 21 -6'2 - Nychuk 21.        (( Carrol 26 -5'11 -LD ????? Bottom of prospect 26 turning pro...

Imo, body mass/weight is more important than height.  If a player is over 6' and over 200lbs, he should have

no problem with the physical aspect of the game (if he's had decent coaching in that aspect of the game).

Most of the players you have mentioned are in that range (including the younger guys that will likely continue

adding strength to their game).

The smaller players need to have superior speed, IQ and puck-moving skills to be effective in the NHL.  Hirose,

Rathbone and Carrol are in that category, but Hirose has a higher skill level and has a better chance of making

the NHL. 

The NHL and AHL game is changing and we are seeing a growing number of smaller players (with high IQ,

speed and puck-moving skills), having great careers.  Carrol will probably have a similar career as Rathbone

and make his mark in the AHL.

On 3/29/2023 at 11:57 AM, CanuckRookieFan said:

HOW HOW? This is the 2nd time Canucks drawn in a top desired prospect, they did something unimaginable with Kuzmenko and many thought that was like winning the lottery. HOW did they do it again with Akito??

I read a lot of the NHL press and media saying Vancouver is a dead desired market, that it is so hard to get people to come here and that we shouldnt expect anyone ever again after Kuz. How in the world are fans not recognizing the insane magic that we got back to back biggest prizes out of the NHL and no one seems to understand what an insane job by the management or the power of Vancouver as a city remains around the NHL!

Hope they all pan out then we can get Bedard at rfa.. I think our gm is saving up money... for 1 big pay day maybe McDavid he and his buddy is becoming Ufa pretty soon?

5 hours ago, higgyfan said:

Imo, body mass/weight is more important than height.  If a player is over 6' and over 200lbs, he should have

no problem with the physical aspect of the game (if he's had decent coaching in that aspect of the game).

Most of the players you have mentioned are in that range (including the younger guys that will likely continue

The smaller players need to have superior speed, IQ and puck-moving skills to be effective in the NHL.  Hirose,

Rathbone and Carrol are in that category, but Hirose has a higher skill level and has a better chance of making

the NHL. 

The NHL and AHL game is changing and we are seeing a growing number of smaller players (with high IQ,

speed and puck-moving skills), having great careers.  Carrol will probably have a similar career as Rathbone

Not trying to argue - but what is that based on?

Rathbone is the same age as Hirose but has PPG seasons in college and AHL while Hirose had decent but not PPG stats in college.  

Sounds like he could be a better defender, though.

22 minutes ago, ilduce39 said:

Not trying to argue - but what is that based on?

Rathbone is the same age as Hirose but has PPG seasons in college and AHL while Hirose had decent but not PPG stats in college.  

Sounds like he could be a better defender, though.

I base it on all the scouting reports that mention Hirose's elite IQ, stick handling and skating.  I think that gives

him an edge over Jack. 

Also, looking at the rosters on Jack's teams, I see that there are a few familiar names and several NHL drafted

players, whereas Akito's teams had just one player that was ever drafted.  This tells me that Jack played on

better teams during his college years.

I agree that Akito probably has an edge with his defensive game.  Jack appears to have the edge with his

offensive game.  It remains to be seen if Akito can avoid the injuries that Jack has struggled with.

• Cheers 1

4 hours ago, aznmonk said:

Hope they all pan out then we can get Bedard at rfa.. I think our gm is saving up money... for 1 big pay day maybe McDavid he and his buddy is becoming Ufa pretty soon?

7 hours ago, higgyfan said:

the NHL. 

At no point was I saying smaller players can't play in the NHL ? You need size and grit if a team is making the playoffs and we have very few gritty player 200 lbs??

Burroughs  6'0 -195  very gritty and tough -- Juulson 6'2 205  can play that way at times.... both players are really # 6--8 on depth chart.

Hughes - Hronek - Bear -- OEL - Wolanin-- Johansson --All of these player don't play with much grit except maybe Hronek..

8 hours ago, Odd. said:

I’m thinking we package OEL + Garland + 2nd to Washington for Kuznetsov and Mantha (they retain $2M). Both those players will be up within 2 years and we clear up our defense. Kuznetsov has asked for a trade and I think Caps would definitely be interested in Garland and the 2nd rounder. OEL can benefit playing alongside Carlsson or  one of their other steady RHD.

Washington is going to try and remain competitive until Ovie retires so they have an incentive to try and get some more depth while they clear up immediate cap space. 

why would washington do that?

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

It was more like two weeks apart, but Benning did sign both Josh Teves and Brogan Rafferty out of the NCAA in 2019. ;) 

I have higher hopes for this year’s crop.

(No offence to Teves and Rafferty.)

Not that Benning was terrible. He did sign Stecher from college free agency. And he found MacEwen and Chatfield from the CHL. And a few others that contributed some AHL seasons and a handful of NHL games.

I think our current management already has scored the biggest undrafted free agent win in memory with Kuzmenko. And Åman is looking like another feather in their pro scouting cap. Maybe they’ll have another win, if Johansson proves an NHL capable Dman. Or Bains, who’s developing quite quickly in Abby. And then Hirose and Sasson and whoever else they add this year. I’m pretty sure we’ll be seeing more signings from college, Europe, and the CHL. Possibly even some exciting ones.

I like that Rutherford has put a priority on using this route (college, Euro, and CHL undrafted free agents and other team’s expired draft picks) to add depth and roll the dice on players who may prove roster worthy for the NHL club. It’s a big advantage when a team can be successful in adding these players, without using draft picks or trades, or having to pay the market prices for NHL free agents. “Free prospects” and smart signings from leagues outside the NHL are one of the best ways to quickly and cheaply improve roster depth and shore up a prospect pool. So far, I’ve been really encouraged by management’s batting average. They seem to be pretty good at this.

I agree

Our collective brain is pretty good now. I trust this group as a whole, hockey wise. I used to clamor for Hansen to come back. But I like the Tocc, Foote, Gonchar collective. Each probably has good connections via each of their solid careers. Bona fide players. And I think they know what toughness looks like, I was impressed by them adding one of my favorites in Pizza. And Tocc is coaching Joshua on the bench into a good defensive forward for us. 

Added toughness, better defensive positioning, less chasing the puck carrier in our end, All this has benefitted our star players. 

Now only if they could park their egos and focus more on practicing our young guys. Like teaching Podz to pk. Or giving Hro the pp1 for a couple games. Maybe see who's good on the farm. Also rest Demko, they almost made a wish like a turkey bone with his legs that last game. 

Rest him already. 

I loved Coach B

But he didn't know how to add more toughness and a more defensive playing style. 

I didn't care for PA but with Kuz Aman and signing good young players looks good. A good return for Bo.And, looking forward, hopefully a healthy Demko next season. Pretty please. 

• Cheers 1

7 hours ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

It was more like two weeks apart, but Benning did sign both Josh Teves and Brogan Rafferty out of the NCAA in 2019. ;) 

I have higher hopes for this year’s crop.

(No offence to Teves and Rafferty.)

Not that Benning was terrible. He did sign Stecher from college free agency. And he found MacEwen and Chatfield from the CHL. And a few others that contributed some AHL seasons and a handful of NHL games.

I think our current management already has scored the biggest undrafted free agent win in memory with Kuzmenko. And Åman is looking like another feather in their pro scouting cap. Maybe they’ll have another win, if Johansson proves an NHL capable Dman. Or Bains, who’s developing quite quickly in Abby. And then Hirose and Sasson and whoever else they add this year. I’m pretty sure we’ll be seeing more signings from college, Europe, and the CHL. Possibly even some exciting ones.

I like that Rutherford has put a priority on using this route (college, Euro, and CHL undrafted free agents and other team’s expired draft picks) to add depth and roll the dice on players who may prove roster worthy for the NHL club. It’s a big advantage when a team can be successful in adding these players, without using draft picks or trades, or having to pay the market prices for NHL free agents. “Free prospects” and smart signings from leagues outside the NHL are one of the best ways to quickly and cheaply improve roster depth and shore up a prospect pool. So far, I’ve been really encouraged by management’s batting average. They seem to be pretty good at this.

They were both highly touted, sought after players coming out of the NCAA ......its a reminder that most of these signings don't amount to much and to keep our expectations low 

Sassons had a solid game for Abby last night, but not sure there's an NHL player there

• Cheers 1

8 hours ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Exactly what I was hoping to see as well, given that's been Pittsburgh's M.O. for years. They always seemed to have an endless supply of 22-25 year old guys they'd call up from Wilkes Barre, and come and be productive depth/role players (with an occasional higher impact guy). Ideally that's where we're headed as well.

• Cheers 3

49 minutes ago, stawns said:

They were both highly touted, sought after players coming out of the NCAA ......its a reminder that most of these signings don't amount to much and to keep our expectations low 

Sassons had a solid game for Abby last night, but not sure there's an NHL player there

I might quibble slightly with “highly touted,” but your point stands.

I think the top tier guys that year were Nico Sturm, Connor Mackey, Max Verroneau, Jimmy Schuldt, and Akito’s brother Taro Hirose. Teves was more in the second tier IIRC, rated around guys like Colton Poolman. And Rafferty wasn’t on many top-20 or even top-30 lists (although he ended up having a better AHL career than several players that were more highly touted that year).

But it does give you a pretty good idea of the “hit rate.” Not too many legit NHLers in that class.

I think Hirose and Sasson are a bit higher in the rankings this year, compared to Teves and Rafferty in 2019. That’s not a guarantee of success, but at least it points to the ability to successfully recruit players with several teams chasing them.

I also forgot than the Canucks picked up goalie Jake Kielly that year. So they did sign two college free agents within a week of each other.

Edited by SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME
Typos