The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canucks sign Akito Hirose

38 minutes ago, Neutral said:

Could be, I hope he can stay here but not looking great. I wonder if all these recent depth signings mean we walk away from Dermott who is always hurt and costs double 

Seeing Dermott, Poolman, and Myers in the rearview will be a great feeling. 

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1
  • elephant 1

Patrik Allvin:

"As we continue to look at ways to improve the depth of our organization, signing a defenceman with this type of skillset is an important move for our hockey club. Akito is a strong skater and he has put up impressive numbers on both sides of the ice in the NCAA and BCHL. We feel that our coaches and development team will provide him with the help and support he needs to start his pro career off in the right way."

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Sharpshooter said:

It could mean that those other guys may get more than a look to play in the bigs, with Hirose shoring up Abby’s defense. 

A possibility. But I think Hirose has enough NHL upside that they aren't bringing him in as a AHL guy. But I won't deny the possibility. We have a lot of depth though. I just can't see us keeping Rathbone.

Hughes/_____
Hirose/Hronek

OEL/Myers*
Wolanin

I assume Rathbone and Myers both get traded, Dermott and Bear released, and Juulsen either grabs a spot as a 6th defenseman or is our first call up.

I’d do a sign and trade for Bear if possible. He’s going to want a $2M~ contract and I don’t know if that’s worth it.

I think it’s pretty pointless to guess what our d situation will look like next year. The only sure pieces are Hughes and Hronek

Like this signing!

High IQ , good 2 way, shifty D man and we now need a lefty to compete for 3rd or 4th pairing. He could be the one after some Abby time to "play the right way"

Don't see Dermott being resigned with concussion issues.

Already have Poolman and Pearson questionable to start next season.

• Like 1

This guy is 170 lbs, and I really doubt he plays an NHL game anytime soon. He's probably with VAN to motivate his development. The same thing they've done with McDonough. McDonough has an NHL body though, so he got a game in. 

2 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

This guy is 170 lbs, and I really doubt he plays an NHL game anytime soon. He's probably with VAN to motivate his development. The same thing they've done with McDonough. McDonough has an NHL body though, so he got a game in. 

Well Quinn weighs 180 as well as Pete, I'm sure when they first came in they were around the same weight, Not hard to put on 10 lbs quick...Especially if the team isn't going anywhere soon and you can experiment with diff players.

11 minutes ago, Odd. said:

Hughes/_____
Hirose/Hronek

OEL/Myers*
Wolanin

I assume Rathbone and Myers both get traded, Dermott and Bear released, and Juulsen either grabs a spot as a 6th defenseman or is our first call up.

I’d do a sign and trade for Bear if possible. He’s going to want a $2M~ contract and I don’t know if that’s worth it.

I think it’s pretty pointless to guess what our d situation will look like next year. The only sure pieces are Hughes and Hronek

I think Bear gets reupped for a year or 2 for about 2M since he's not a UFA 

He's a solid 3rd pairing RD that we need and that can play top 4 minutes when required.

Would be nice to sign 1 more NHL ready guy for 3rd pairing LD in the summer and then Hirose, Breezer/ Wolanin can battle for injury callup or 7th-8th ready to go

• Upvote 1

My gut told me Miller was gonna re-sign.  My gut told me Horvat was gonna be traded.  My gut tells me OEL will bounce back next year and become a solid top 4 LHD again...

Hughes-??

OEL-Hronek

Brisebois/Wolanin-Bear/Juulsen

• Cheers 1

HOW HOW? This is the 2nd time Canucks drawn in a top desired prospect, they did something unimaginable with Kuzmenko and many thought that was like winning the lottery. HOW did they do it again with Akito??

I read a lot of the NHL press and media saying Vancouver is a dead desired market, that it is so hard to get people to come here and that we shouldnt expect anyone ever again after Kuz. How in the world are fans not recognizing the insane magic that we got back to back biggest prizes out of the NHL and no one seems to understand what an insane job by the management or the power of Vancouver as a city remains around the NHL!

• Like 2
  • Vintage 1

20 minutes ago, HKSR said:

My gut told me Miller was gonna re-sign.  My gut told me Horvat was gonna be traded.  My gut tells me OEL will bounce back next year and become a solid top 4 LHD again...

Hughes-??

OEL-Hronek

Brisebois/Wolanin-Bear/Juulsen

What does your gut tell you about the Canucks and the draft lottery? It seems to know things!

• Upvote 1