The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canucks sign Akito Hirose

6 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

My hope is that he recovers from his injury and they get him properly prepared next year. OEL isn't that old. I have this feeling there weren't any expectations on him last year with nice guy Bruce letting the players do whatever, and OEL came to camp out of shape and then struggled all year. My hope is that Tocchet and Gonchar have him ready. 

The sad thing is the perfect Left D Tocchet wants is out with injury.  Dermott would fit perfectly with Hughes. In fact I think that's the biggest problem The Canucks have had the last few years.  The players that would give this team some bite and gnarl are out, Ferland and Dermott.  Imagine if those 2 were healthy. We've never seen either of those 2 healthy aside from a a few games.  

Edited by Pure961089

1 minute ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

Seems management were prioritizing Hirose from the start for whatever reason. 

To be fair, I think the fact that Livingstone is from BC is going to create a lot of bias on CDC. Happens all the time here.

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

Seems management were prioritizing Hirose from the start for whatever reason. 

Canucks are really high on Bear.  They think he still has some upside.  Is he a top 4 damn?  I don't know about that but he can be pretty good 

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Strawbone said:

Are other teams bringing in just as many high end college prospects? Or are the Canucks doing a really god job at this? I don’t really follow the rest of the league closely. 

There really aren’t enough high end college free agents this year for every team to be as active as the Canucks have been so far. The pool just isn’t that deep.

They’re doing a good job. Both Sasson and Hirose were on most of the top target lists, sometimes as high as top-10 or top-5 options from this NCAA free agent class. Both were almost universally viewed as “cream of the crop” types, even from people who weren’t high on them.

There are 32 teams. Any one team successfully recruiting and signing two of the top NCAA free agents in a single year is doing solid work.

And the Canucks might not be done yet.

There’s a long list of NCAA signing pro contracts already (link below), but most are either NHL draft picks (signed by their draft team), or undrafted free agents getting AHL or ECHL deals. When it comes to the top end undrafted free agent pool, and players truly deserving NHL deals, the Canucks have probably been the most active and successful NHL team so far this year.

https://collegehockeyinc.com/pro-signings-2022-23-nhl-college-ncaa-free-agent.php

Also, in the case of Hirose, it’s reported that 10 NHL teams were trying to sign him, which gives some idea of his quality.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2