The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canucks sign Akito Hirose

13 minutes ago, CanuckRookieFan said:

HOW HOW? This is the 2nd time Canucks drawn in a top desired prospect, they did something unimaginable with Kuzmenko and many thought that was like winning the lottery. HOW did they do it again with Akito??

I read a lot of the NHL press and media saying Vancouver is a dead desired market, that it is so hard to get people to come here and that we shouldnt expect anyone ever again after Kuz. How in the world are fans not recognizing the insane magic that we got back to back biggest prizes out of the NHL and no one seems to understand what an insane job by the management or the power of Vancouver as a city remains around the NHL!

I think the Canucks new management and coaching staff have a level of respect in the hockey world that we haven’t had in a while. It makes a difference.  

45 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

Is he coming onto me? Why is a winger waving at me in regards to a LD discussion? I don't think his signing effects Rathbone's spot in the franchise. Lol.

Mcdonough joined his childhood(best?) friend in Rathbone in Vancouver.

trading Rathbone after signing McDonough would be a mistake.

sort of the same as if the Canucks sign Livingstone and then trade Hirose.

1 hour ago, Devron said:

Alvin deserves some credit around here. He’s been doing things since he’s got here. One bite at a time. Chomp chomp 

Yeah for sure. Still find it mind boggling how ppl wrote him off barely a year in to tenure. 

• Cheers 1
  • elephant 1

1 hour ago, Neutral said:

Be interesting to see how their careers progress apart form each other post College. Although, I am not sure how long they played together was it this year or has it been a pairing since both were on the team?

Not sure how long they played together, but I remember reading that he is the one going into the dirty areas to retrieve the puck for Livingstone. Could turn out to be way better than him.

• Vintage 1

17 minutes ago, Sell.the.team said:

The Score Mobile headline is 'Canucks sign Minnesota State D-man....'

Haven't been teased that hard since the 2016 draft when JB said ' the Canucks select...from the London Knights...."

Was that ever a miss,  but oh well, GM's would give their left nut to hit home runs this coming draft ... or both if it meant winning the Bedard sweepstakes :bigblush:

25 minutes ago, GhostsOf1994 said:

Mcdonough joined his childhood(best?) friend in Rathbone in Vancouver.

trading Rathbone after signing McDonough would be a mistake.

sort of the same as if the Canucks sign Livingstone and then trade Hirose.

It's a business. We should trade em both if they're gonna cry about not being on each other's team.

2 hours ago, Mando27 said:

Nice pickup, could even end up better than Livingstone.

I read that Hirose was prioritized above Livingstone by management. I was surprised by that since Hirose is a smallish LHD and Livingstone is a bigger RHD. I can only think it’s because Hirose is a better skater/puck mover. Other reasons?

• Vintage 1