The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Mom jeans & tight jeans for men.

Straight fit 32x34 Levi's in the darkest blue I can find at Walmart. I buy 2 pairs once a year. I never got the point of buying jeans that have holes in them and cost $100+. I mean, you get new jeans to replace your old ones you wore holes in right? Seems like a waste of money to me...

I also remember when I started skateboarding, the trend was all about the baggy pants, then the cringeworthy 'hesh' style got popular (super tight everything). Gotta let the boys breathe some, so I skipped that one.

4 hours ago, Warhippy said:

Literally have two teenaged daughters.  For those who were alive follow along.

Last year we saw the return of the 90s.  Literally like 1988-1994 was all the rage.  Crop tops, off the shoulder simpsons gear and tye died goodies.  Every clothing store we went to had crap my wife and I swear we wore or owned as kids.

Now, mom jeans and "boyfriend jeans" which were like 1995-1998.  We are seeing the mirror opposite of yoga pants, that perfected the female form in the materialized fashion of high waisted mom jeans.  Next will be (omg I can't wait) brazilian low rise)

I wish I was kidding.  Every year we're seeing a smattering of the fashion we wore as teens and our early 20s hitting the shelves and as my wife still has a TON of the clothing she owned as a teenager my daughters are absolutely rocking a vintage look that is currently fashionable but was new when this stuff was bought in the mid 90s.

That being said.  I don't care.  As long as people are wearing clothing appropriate to their phenotype/body type and I am not seeing a 300 pound human under 5 foot 6 squeezing in to size 6 jean shorts I don't care what people wear.

Fashion is subjective and if people feel good wearing the clothing they like than I refuse to steal that joy from them 

And it isn't just fashion, varieties of flowers and foliage go from selling as much as you can grow to not being able to give them away, 20 years later you can sell ship loads again. 

In regards to fashion the Etnies rep used to give me shoes.

The parent company created another brand Emerica.

Basically each generation of teenagers want to be different from the one before it, wear different styles and brands. 

Burton snowboards and apparel affiliated/ owned brands are the same.

They pump one brand for ten years, then the next batch of teens come along and they pump another brand they own. 

" Hey you 

Is there something worth aspiring to 

And can it be found in a record store 

Well it's not there anymore 

Just think of all the things we did 

WE WERE DIFFERENT, JUST LIKE ALL THE OTHER KIDS  

Missy was a teen blue video star 

Tom took his life in his mother's car 

Milo went to college but you knew about that 

Rodney played our record 

GG started riots 

Laurie was always quiet she was batting depression 

Jack wore a skirt but he knew how to scrap 

Billy went to country on a class one possession

Wendy went to school while her daddy shot smack 

Eugene kept a list 

Mugger was security

Mary she kept her purity 

We were all in it together " 

Bad Religion 

These were, with twists, the stories of the teenagers I grew up with.

Each group of teens think they and their problems are unique. 

If there is really such a thing as Karma, I am so screwed in about five years time.

1 hour ago, Ilunga said:

Burton snowboards and apparel affiliated/ owned brands are the same.

ah I remember when Burton was the thing. Also these. For awhile there, everyone was wearing Fox gear.  But maybe thats because i grew up in abbotsford

ZCZwaWQ9QXBp

ZXJzLWxvZ28uanBn

Edited by MaxVerstappen33

3 minutes ago, MaxVerstappen33 said:

ah I remember when Burton was the thing. Also these. For awhile there, everyone was wearing Fox gear.  But maybe thats because i grew up in abbotsford

ZCZwaWQ9QXBp

ZXJzLWxvZ28uanBn

I remember when Jake came over to Aus and went down to Torquay and saw how huge Rip Curl and Quicksilver were, that's when he went back to the US and created other brands owned by his company.

I got to meet him, he is a really nice guy.

The R and D that goes into Burton products is insane.

Those big surf brands have been sold by the guys/ surfers, who created them.

Now they are owned by corporations.

28 minutes ago, Slegr said:

I keep hoping the ‘slim fit’ for men’s dress clothes will go away. They take over the stores, and they’re wait too tight / restricting. Give me modern / regular fit any day.

It has been a long time. I could be wrong but it feels to me like they've been around since 2014. Edge lords like George Stroumboulopoulos were the first to wear them. Back then , it was just him wearing the tight ancle pants. I remember old boys in the Edmonton media making fun of how he looked when I lived there. But eventually the whole set got them.

GettyImages-451176800.0.jpg

45 minutes ago, MaxVerstappen33 said:

It has been a long time. I could be wrong but it feels to me like they've been around since 2014. Edge lords like George Stroumboulopoulos were the first to wear them. Back then , it was just him wearing the tight ancle pants. I remember old boys in the Edmonton media making fun of how he looked when I lived there. But eventually the whole set got them.

GettyImages-451176800.0.jpg

Wait those are/were skinny jeans?

My levis and wranglers are as tight as those.... those just look like jeans

1 hour ago, Warhippy said:

Wait those are/were skinny jeans?

My levis and wranglers are as tight as those.... those just look like jeans

im trying to find a better example. They aren't true skinny jeans but guys like him were the ones going early on it

From 2014 again

https://twitter.com/stats_canada/status/425401890470625280?s=20

Edited by MaxVerstappen33

This is a big reason why I never got into fashion. I buy clothes that I like the fit of, are comfortable, and have some measure of quality in accordance with the price. I'm not really concerned about what the currently fashionable fit, or material or brand is. I don't like skin tight jeans so I don't wear them. I don't like super baggy jeans so I don't wear them. I don't like leather jackets or flip flops or ostentatious colours so I don't wear those either. But if other people want to, have at it. It seems exhausting always having to make sure your clothes are whats "in" and being this concerned about what other people are wearing.  

On 4/5/2023 at 12:52 AM, MaxVerstappen33 said:

Can't go wrong with those. Also cargo pants. It's almost time for camo/cargo to be in again. Having those extra pockets comes in handy

I bought some waterproof "military" style pants for work, those extra pockets come in so handy for sharpies, knives, tape measures, etc.  Didn't realize it until I actually got them.

• Upvote 1