The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Akito Hirose | #41 | D

On 4/3/2023 at 10:16 AM, NUCKER67 said:

Impressed.

I thought because of his inexperience and lack of size he would struggle, but he was really good for his 1st game. I think he makes Rathbone expendable. 

I wouldn't say that after just one game. It is interesting that they are both the same age though.

Edited by dpn1

3 hours ago, dpn1 said:

I wouldn't say that after just one game. It is interesting that they are both the same age though.

Neither are chopped liver. We some times set our expectations too high. Hughes is great but I doubt we'll see another for a long time. I quite liked Rathbones last game and Hiroke looked more relaxed against Chicago. Could be a mix of poor Chicago play also. Toews was up against him during the game

Edited by Fred65
  • Cheers 1

On 4/6/2023 at 10:26 PM, DownUndaCanuck said:

If he scores a goal before the season ends, he'll be a real fan favourite. I worry everyone will forget about Rathbone but the two of them are basically the same player - they need to battle hard this summer and come to training camp ready to play. One of them deserves a roster spot next year, the other in our press box or traded. They'd be wasted in the AHL.

Do you think Rathbone would clear waivers to be sent to the AHL next season? Personally I think next camp/preseason is Rathbones make it or get traded point.

7 hours ago, Baggins said:

Do you think Rathbone would clear waivers to be sent to the AHL next season? Personally I think next camp/preseason is Rathbones make it or get traded point.

Yeah I think he gets traded if he doesn't cut the team, even as a 7th guy in the press box wouldn't be bad but he's got a lot of competition.

Right now for me our depth chart goes Hirose - Wolanin - Rathbone - Brisebois

• Cheers 2

10 hours ago, Baggins said:

I agree. His next pre-season is his last chance to make a big impact. After that, he's either trade fodder, or just an AHL veteran.

12 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Yeah I think he gets traded if he doesn't cut the team, even as a 7th guy in the press box wouldn't be bad but he's got a lot of competition.

Right now for me our depth chart goes Hirose - Wolanin - Rathbone - Brisebois

It wouldn't surprise me in the least if Rathbone is an offseason trade piece. Same with Hoglander. I'd be ok with either added to Myers to move him for a return after his bonus is paid.

I see Wolanin as a virtual lock for bottom pair on the left side as thing stand. He has two more years at the league minimum salary. Worst case for him is press box. Two games isn't much but Hirose looks better than Rathbone as well. Then there's that other Pettersson possibly coming, although I think it's more likely he spends another season in the SHL. I think Wolanin will the #3 LD with Brisbois the press box #4 LD. Hirose would be better served to have an AHL season with bigger minutes and callups than sitting in the press box. This of course assumes they don't dip into free agency for a low cost older veteran for LD #3. I could see Juulsen being #3/4 on the right side. But it would sure be nice if Schenn came back on a reasonable deal. But I suspect he may just cash in on a pretty good season.

15 hours ago, Alflives said:

Hirose will be partnered with Hronek as a great second pairing. He’s the perfect partner to allow Hronek to play his complete 200 foot game. 

I think they both could and be great together.Means Rathbone should be in a trade. 

My hope is that Johansson comes in and plays awesome to give us a very solid D group next year.

19 hours ago, Alflives said:

Hirose will be partnered with Hronek as a great second pairing. He’s the perfect partner to allow Hronek to play his complete 200 foot game. 

Hirose has looked pretty good to date. I'll watch him again today with much interest. Really like the idea of him with Hronek.

As an aside I will watch his old partner Jake Livingstone today as well. He is a Creston boy so I cannot write him off.   

• Cheers 1

On 4/8/2023 at 3:30 PM, Baggins said:

I think Bone's out of time. Wont lose sleep over waiving him. Shop him first and see if there's something out there that makes sense.. 

44 minutes ago, hammertime said:

I think Bone's out of time. Wont lose sleep over waiving him. Shop him first and see if there's something out there that makes sense.. 

He has innate skills and skates very well. Imagine a year ago he was a player on the rise. So now he's getting competition. Both hm/his agent/ the club are at a cross road. I'm sure others might wish to take a look 

21 minutes ago, Fred65 said:

He has innate skills and skates very well. Imagine a year ago he was a player on the rise. So now he's getting competition. Both hm/his agent/ the club are at a cross road. I'm sure others might wish to take a look 

For sure and he certainly deserves that opportunity. Unfortunately for him his innate skillset is not what we need in our 6/7D spot. We need a guy who can PK and play uneventful hockey. 

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

15 hours ago, hammertime said:

For sure and he certainly deserves that opportunity. Unfortunately for him his innate skillset is not what we need in our 6/7D spot. We need a guy who can PK and play uneventful hockey. 

He played another solid game against LA. He has 2 games left and a pre-season next fall to establish himself. I am wondering if a 3LD on a rotation is a base for him. We don't know where OEL fits if he does. Because of the CAP the Canucks might want to continue playing him if he can recover his game. Whether at 2 or 3 LD might be the question. Hirose is so cheap that his cost is an advantage. Can he put on 5 - 7  pounds this summer? 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Boudrias said:

He played another solid game against LA. He has 2 games left and a pre-season next fall to establish himself. I am wondering if a 3LD on a rotation is a base for him. We don't know where OEL fits if he does. Because of the CAP the Canucks might want to continue playing him if he can recover his game. Whether at 2 or 3 LD might be the question. Hirose is so cheap that his cost is an advantage. Can he put on 5 - 7  pounds this summer? 

I could :lol:

• Haha 4

6 hours ago, Boudrias said:

Hirose is already a much better option than OEL for our second pairing with Hronek.

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1