The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Akito Hirose | #41 | D

This guy's value just went up a lot, with the vacancy left by our dearly departed OEL. I fully expected next year's L side to be Hughes, OEL and Wolanin, with Hirose starting in Abbotsford. Well...there is an open slot. I'm not saying either Hirose or Wolanin are true top 4 players, but the chance is there for him. 

51 minutes ago, Father Ryan said:

This guy's value just went up a lot, with the vacancy left by our dearly departed OEL. I fully expected next year's L side to be Hughes, OEL and Wolanin, with Hirose starting in Abbotsford. Well...there is an open slot. I'm not saying either Hirose or Wolanin are true top 4 players, but the chance is there for him. 

I like what I have seen of Hirose's game but both he and Wolanin are of average size and not very physical IMO. Would really like to see a  3rd pair D-man on that side with size & grit.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, Kootenay Gold said:

I like what I have seen of Hirose's game but both he and Wolanin are of average size and not very physical IMO. Would really like to see a  3rd pair D-man on that side with size & grit.

Right now we’re even lacking a 2LD - but yeah - I agree with the premise.

Ideally, Hirose/Wolanin are battling for 4LD where they’ll still get a ton of time this year.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I’d like to see one more physical shutdown RD added to audition with Hughes (eg Peeke, Lyubushkin, Korczak), bumping Cole and Soucy down to 2LD and 3LD. Irwin as our 7th allows the young prospects to cook for another year together, and only come up if there are multiple injuries at once.

Either way, Abby’s defence is going to be stacked next year..

Wolanin - Juulsen

Hirose - McWard

Brisebois - Woo

Rathbone - Johansson

Nychuk - Kannok Liepert

:o :towel:

• Cheers 1

Although they both cleared waivers last October, I don't see Wolanin or Juulsen doing so this year after their strong Abby showing, and handling the big club decently in their.call up in March/April. Some team will see the potential of a decent 3rd pairing at minimum cost

We're going to have an interesting carousel on defence on that bottom pairing LD spot. Hirose, Rathbone, Wolanin and Irwin all fighting for that spot. Obviously when injuries hit, these guys can step up, but to start it'll be interesting to see who Tocchet goes with. Everyone has their pro's and con's.

Rathbone is great, maybe the best offensively, but man is he small and a bit sloppy defensively.

Wolanin is a pretty solid all-around guy, great first pass, decent defensively, not that physical but gets the job done.

Hirose is a bit like a softer but better-skating Wolanin who can get himself out of trouble with his skating quite well.

Then Irwin is completely different - a rugged veteran, physical guy but a lot slower these days with his skating and not a fantastic passer.

Honestly I think it'll depend on matchups. I doubt Tocchet will ever go with Rathbone. For physical games we'll obviously go with Irwin. For games against top stars or deep offences (like say Edmonton) I think we go with Wolanin as a safe bet. For weaker teams I think we go with Hirose to get some development in there.

• Like 1

On 6/18/2023 at 8:29 PM, ilduce39 said:

Right now we’re even lacking a 2LD - but yeah - I agree with the premise.

Ideally, Hirose/Wolanin are battling for 4LD where they’ll still get a ton of time this year.

Unfortunately, depth-wise, there are holes everywhere in the lineup.  That damn Gillis leaving Alvin/JR with nothing to work with (prospects, cap space, etc.,).:ph34r:

Edited by NewbieCanuckFan

2 hours ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Unfortunately, depth-wise, there are holes everywhere in the lineup.  That damn Gillis leaving Alvin/JR with nothing to work with (prospects, cap space, etc.,).:ph34r:

Yes that pesky Gillis!  

but on-topic I think I made that post before FA so I’d say we have personnel for 2nd pair LD.

I think the best bet is:

Hughes-Cole

Soucy-Hronek

Wolanin/Hirose-Myers

We might actually see something like:

Hughes-Hronek

Cole-Myers

Soucy-Juulsen/Woo

Edited by ilduce39
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/13/2023 at 11:56 PM, DownUndaCanuck said:

We're going to have an interesting carousel on defence on that bottom pairing LD spot. Hirose, Rathbone, Wolanin and Irwin all fighting for that spot. Obviously when injuries hit, these guys can step up, but to start it'll be interesting to see who Tocchet goes with. Everyone has their pro's and con's.

Rathbone is great, maybe the best offensively, but man is he small and a bit sloppy defensively.

Wolanin is a pretty solid all-around guy, great first pass, decent defensively, not that physical but gets the job done.

Hirose is a bit like a softer but better-skating Wolanin who can get himself out of trouble with his skating quite well.

Then Irwin is completely different - a rugged veteran, physical guy but a lot slower these days with his skating and not a fantastic passer.

Honestly I think it'll depend on matchups. I doubt Tocchet will ever go with Rathbone. For physical games we'll obviously go with Irwin. For games against top stars or deep offences (like say Edmonton) I think we go with Wolanin as a safe bet. For weaker teams I think we go with Hirose to get some development in there.

That may be the best way to go- play Irwin when up against more physical teams and Hirose against more skilled teams.

• Cheers 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • -AJ- changed the title to Akito Hirose | #41 | D

Injuries happen, especially to D it seems. Will Myers play the full season? (trade) I can see Hirose getting a bunch of games. Other callups being Juulsen, McWard and Brisebois. 

I know it cost the Canucks to buyout OEL, but I'm sure glad he's no longer taking up a roster spot.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1