The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT] Vancouver Canucks @ Arizona Coyotes, April 13, 2023, Mullett Arena, 7PM PST (10PM EST), Last Chance at 8th Place Game

Rate this topic

Rocket-68

Will JT Miller Still be a Canucks Next Season?  

99 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

9 minutes ago, Alflives said:

JR was saying all summer long that we played too loose. He met often with Bruce to change the style of play. It took Tocchet and his staff to implement a better structure and insist guys all play the right way to see us do better.  No coaching bump like with Bruce. Better systems. 
Some posters here even think the new systems and style of play will benefit OEL and turn back the years on his clock. 

Do you really know this for sure? I do remember Bruce taking part in the recruitment of Kuzmenko, was that one of his meetings? It took Tocchet getting a healthy NHL goalie back to get to his (Tocchet's) current record. Bruce had an injured Demko and two AHL fillers between the pipes until the New Year. That's the only difference in the system that I'm seeing on this team. They're still playing dump and chase, and even on a power play no less. The pk looks no different other than Bo isn't taking faceoffs. They still get into fire drill mode. I still see guys like Myers, Miller, Boeser, and Garland panic and get rid of the puck like a hot grenade. I hope you're right about Tocchet's system beginning next fall, if not, expect more of the same.

20 minutes ago, johngould21 said:

Do you really know this for sure? I do remember Bruce taking part in the recruitment of Kuzmenko, was that one of his meetings? It took Tocchet getting a healthy NHL goalie back to get to his (Tocchet's) current record. Bruce had an injured Demko and two AHL fillers between the pipes until the New Year. That's the only difference in the system that I'm seeing on this team. They're still playing dump and chase, and even on a power play no less. The pk looks no different other than Bo isn't taking faceoffs. They still get into fire drill mode. I still see guys like Myers, Miller, Boeser, and Garland panic and get rid of the puck like a hot grenade. I hope you're right about Tocchet's system beginning next fall, if not, expect more of the same.

Sorry to interject on this one but I think Kuz doesn't really factor into the Tocchet/Budreau comparison but I'm pretty sure the dump and chase and panic on the PK and D is old habits that still haven't been broken yet but you can see the other side that Tocchet brought in Gonchar and we're finally starting to see the difference but it's still a work in progress. 

Past that, it's up to the coach to get the players to buy into playing and executing said systems "all in" 

Not to mention, a working farm that threatens roster spots if roster players decide they can slide.. "cough cough LE cough cough"

At the end of the day, as long as players buy in and we can see their potential or lack thereof that we know where tweaks need to be done, (long term minded) we'll be that much further along.  

• Cheers 2

There is a really good chance the Canucks will pass Detroit if they win tonight... and compound the exercise in futility which characterised the last 1/4 season of 2023.

Detroit is already losing to Tampa... and if the Canucks win, a tie will see the Canucks ranked higher in the standings.

The fact the Canucks have a good chance of picking 12th is a excellent example of how this management has botched the season not just once, but TWICE for this team.

Not only did they not recruit a decent set of D-men last summer, the key to improving the team's play, they then did not assess and accept the disastrous set of losses which resulted from Demko's injury and the inadequate play of Martin and Delia as replacements.

Instead of realizing this season was a washout, they waited till it was too late to make the playoffs, but early enough to see enough improvement to squander a decent pick, and replaced Boudreau with Tocchet.  The inevitable 'coach's bounce', plus the much better results from Demko's return has raised the team in the standings from the #6 position, where their chance at a really good pick was excellent, to either 11th or 12th, where their chance at any impact player is basically negligible.

The rationale behind this second poor decision was apparently 'team building' and a 'new system', but in fact, it probably was more mundane... the owner wanted fans in the seats.

Waiting another 10 games before firing Boudreau would have made no difference to team building or installation of a new system, there would have been enough games remaining to allow that.  On the other hand, another 10 games of bad results would have firmly cemented the team in the basement and provided a guarantee of a good pick.

For those of us who have been Canucks fans since the late '70's, and who have seen this pattern for quite a while, it becomes very frustrating to watch what management has done for the last 10+ years.

Maybe we will get lucky and win the lottery, maybe some low pick will miraculously blossom, but right now things don't look good.

We have some fine young pieces, but not the totality which is needed to be a real contender.  And if the Canucks start to make the playoffs the next few years, the chance of finding those extra elements needed to put the Canucks over the top are remote.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, R3aL said:

I honestly can’t stand Drance.

only his take exists. He has extremely pessimistic takes, he uses negative language and tone. 

when it comes to marketplace culture he’s a culture killer not builder.

i can’t listen to him speak anymore.

he wouldn’t even acknowledge the importance of Demko’s mental rehab and return from injury and how important it would be for him and our team for next season. 

looking forward to the day he’s not a SN650 regular 

Drance like no one's watching, I always say.

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, -DLC- said:

Just not ready for this to be over yet.

Also...can we please celebrate the fact that JT's nearly at 300 points here?

He's been a ppg player since he arrived here (297 pts in his 282 games here).

Fewest games to 300 points in Canucks history: Pavel Bure (246); Elias Pettersson (306); Thomas Gradin (330); Patrik Sundstrom (337)

Gonna miss Millsy when he’s gone. 

1 hour ago, DrJockitch said:

He isn’t wrong though. We are risking injury on our most valuable players and pushing for points that only hurt in the long run instead of giving more meaningful minutes to developing players when wins are no longer important. 

He is wrong. In the sense that these games aren’t meaningless games / minutes to young budding superstars. 

he doesn’t acknowledge anything outside of his micro view.

we also have to consider there has been a leadership handoff, and breakout seasons for our superstars.

there are many dynamics, relationships and layers to everything. And he doesn’t acknowledge any other perspectives or variables.

according to him what’s the point of even being a fan of the team? We should just be miserable and angry with everything and feel hopeless.

other angles he doesn’t even acknowledge is the coaching staff needs to see if they can play big minutes, they can be leaned on, what they need to work on in the summer etc. it’s trust; it’s confidence it’s so many things. Drance talks like he has it all figured out. He doesn’t. And I can’t stand his arrogant negative attitude. Even him calling out Sat like he did today was so toxic. 

Sure take hard stances, be opinionated be a FAN but at least be open to multiple perspectives, be optimistic, build culture, build support for the team etc. he’s toxic. And if I ran SN650 I’d not employ him.

he’s the only person who actually negatively impacts my mood and has ever made me turn off sn650 ever. He’s toxic.

• Cheers 3
  • There it is 1

1 hour ago, kilgore said:

Meh...I think most fans follow and support pundits who we agree with, and dis on those we disagree with.  We can even not like them, then like them, then not like them again. etc..  Like I agree  with this concern he raised.  No reason to play Hughes near the top of the ice time leaders of the league. Or give other top players so much ice time vs. development of younger players.

But I disgreed with his whining about not suddenly initiating a full rebuild when we were already smack dab in the middle of a retool. A rebuild made sense in Bennings era, where once again I agreed with his criticisms of Benning's disastrous beating of a dead orca over and over. But Drance is an idiot if he thinks its even plausible to strip everything down after last Summer's acquisitions. Now with Hronek, its a retool or bust. Accept it and move on.

I don't care about his opinions regardless. I hate him for his approach and his attitude. 

he hasn't earned the right to have his opinion published is the biggest problem. 

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, grandmaster said:

Love all the Drance hate. 

Drance during his stupid rants:

happy pizza GIF

Canucks talk should be renamed to:

CANUCKS HATE

CANUCKS RANT

STOP IT CANUCKS 

Ya I can’t stand him 

• Upvote 1