The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2023 Canucks end of season media availability

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

2 hours ago, coolboarder said:

The Canucks seriously need to revoke their media credentials for next season.  It is their right to do it and hopefully that they are brave enough to tell the news media companies to find a new reporter to replace them. 

It's up to the management to protect the players in these situations.  It was horrible to watch the media drilling

Peterson; absolutely disgusting.  They need to take steps to ensure that this sort of questioning can never

happen again.

• Cheers 1

8 hours ago, Rubik said:

I'm not trying to undermine Vintage's contributions, but he just embeds insiders' tweets. Just pay attention the sources he uses (for example for trades it's mostly Pierre LeBrun) and you can look up things for yourself. Ofc it's much easier and simpler for us that Vintage gathers and shares everything in one place, but we could also really ease his workload a bit by searching and posting stuff ourselves too. It's not black magic what he's doing.

Vintage is a warlock and you are flirting with the wrath of the dark arts when you say things like that.

thinner-creepy.gif

• Haha 2

I'm not a fan of our media whatsoever but they actually did their jobs today and had the balls to actually ask Pearson the hard questions. Especially since we only heard from Hughes and management and not Pearson.

They were the specific relevant questions that should have been asked. It was tough to watch a guy possibly dealing with the end of his career. 

• Cheers 4

Just finished the Myers/Kuzy/Mik/Pearson one...

-I think Kuz was making fun of the media in Russian the whole time. Hilarious.

-Questions for Pearson were pretty clearly ones he can't answer. But he seems pissed.

-I think Tocchet may have told Myers to get in shape this summer.

2 hours ago, King Heffy said:

I don't understand how management can be so unprofessional and incompetent with the media when one of the assistant GM's is literally married to a member of said media.  Sadly, I don't expect anything else until Rutherford is fired.

Ray is Ray. I don't think that has anything to do with it. Have another beer Heff. You're reaching to be honest dude. I know you're not happy with management. But yikes.

• Cheers 2

1 hour ago, higgyfan said:

It's up to the management to protect the players in these situations.  It was horrible to watch the media drilling

Peterson; absolutely disgusting.  They need to take steps to ensure that this sort of questioning can never

happen again.

Or the players themselves can hold the media accountable by calling them out to their faces. Miller seems to have that capability as does Pettersson 

Edited by PhillipBlunt
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 3

I thought media were fine with Pearson. He obviously has a beef with Canucks on his injury. That’s his prerogative. He’s still a Canuck, making millions of dollars, and needs to be a team player and respond to media questions. 
I’d guess he doesn’t want to say much publicly because he is trying to take them to the cleaners financially. That’s unfortunate about his injury, and I feel sorry for the guy on that front, but he looked very much like he didn’t want to be there, or be a part of the team, and that’s a concern to me. Even once he gets healthy, will be put his heart into being a Canuck? And pre-injury, he had 1 goal in 14 games and was -9… will he be much better after not playing for nearly a year at his age? 

Edited by Slegr
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1

9 hours ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

I would feel a tad better, if EP said he loves it here (instead of “I like it here”) but when they start playing play-off bound hockey well-above .500, again…I know that he will! 

Edited by viking mama

3 hours ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

And then there's this from Mikheyev himself ... 

https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/article/it-was-my-decision-canucks-mikheyev-speaks-out-on-handling-of-acl-injury/ 

In the wake of Vancouver’s alleged bungling of winger Tanner Pearson‘s hand injury, which saw Pearson’s season ended after initial estimates pegged his return at 4-6 weeks and sparked claims by Quinn Hughes that it “wasn’t handled properly,” doubt swirled around the Canucks’ medical competency.

Mikheyev dispelled those rumours, claiming that he never felt pressure to play and was being consistently re-evaluated. Mikheyev took full responsibility for his decision to play through his injury, and has “no complaints about the way this was handled.”

"I understand there is a lot of debate about my decision to play with an ACL injury. Here are the facts: when I was injured in the preseason, I went through several tests and realized I could play without causing any more damage. That’s what I wanted to do.

"Twice per week, we consulted with team doctors about how things were progressing. Never did I feel pressure, never did I feel worse. It was my decision. Finally it reached a point where I wanted to be ready on time for next year.

"If I continued to play, I wouldn’t be ready for training camp. I appreciate everyone’s concern, but I have no complaints with the way this was handled."

It’s gonna cost him a proper summer of training which will likely affect his performance next season.

I said it was a bad call all around meaning him and his agent made a bad call too. It was not worth it at all.

• Cheers 1

52 minutes ago, Slegr said:

I thought media were fine with Pearson. He obviously has a beef with Canucks on his injury. That’s his prerogative. He’s still a Canuck, making millions of dollars, and needs to be a team player and respond to media questions. 
I’d guess he doesn’t want to say much publicly because he is trying to take them to the cleaners financially. That’s unfortunate about his injury, and I feel sorry for the guy on that front, but he looked very much like he didn’t want to be there, or be a part of the team, and that’s a concern to me. Even once he gets healthy, will be put his heart into being a Canuck? And pre-injury, he had 1 goal in 14 games and was -9… will he be much better after not playing for nearly a year at his age? 

Unfortunately, I think Pearson's played his last game as a canuck... But hopefully he has a last shot with another team.  I'm wishing him a full recovery and happiness regardless... But there's no room on this team with the excess of wings we already have, and he's not the type of player were targeting going forward.   He gone...

1 hour ago, Slegr said:

I don’t think he will be getting healthy, and I think part of what we saw in his demeanour was him knowing that his career is over. 

if I was to guess what happened, team doctors probably recommended the surgery and he probably trusted the doctors and did it. Unfortunately hand surgeries frequently go wrong. He may have felt pressured into the surgery. One thing is for sure - he definitely has a lot of resentment towards the Canucks for it. 

7 minutes ago, Hogs & Podz said:

Unfortunately, I think Pearson's played his last game as a canuck... But hopefully he has a last shot with another team.  I'm wishing him a full recovery and happiness regardless... But there's no room on this team with the excess of wings we already have, and he's not the type of player were targeting going forward.   He gone...

It sounds like his heart is in it, but his hand is messed up. It's sad sort of like Sutter and long covid. It's wiped out his career.

• Sad 4

4 hours ago, higgyfan said:

happen again.

I kind of agree.

Was every rostered Canuck invited or expressly told to report for an interview with the media, today?

I only saw 16 players seated to be grilled. Pearson probably should have taken a hard pass on it. It was uncomfortable & put him in a horrible position, seated next to teammates who may be quite affected by the tone of his opinions or even by his revelations. 

I wonder if “any” of the team’s doctors or training staff responsible for gaffs that could have possibly resulted in a derailment of Tanner’s earliest efforts at recovery, have been moved along? 

This situation echoes the chatter surrounding Cody Hodgson’s beef with the Canucks’ medical staff regarding his back or more recently, Jack Eichel’s beef with the Sabres. Without a change, relationships can sour to the point where one or other of the parties involved, needs to depart. A player’s confidence & trust in his particular team’s medical staff …goes a long way.  

But, if Tanner’s healing process does end up with the rehabilitation & full recovery of his hand, then his being seated with those media-day panels, does show how he still wishes to be seen as a consummate professional & another veteran leadership member for the group. 

Altho’ I applaud him for this, I wonder if there was much of a personal choice. Was there any monetary incentive in his decision to take part, which would not have been there otherwise…or was his presence in large part “requested” by the media-hounds in the room, all eager to prolong yet another team controversey, in a marketplace that eats up that kind of thing. Bo Horvat thanks you for moving along from last week’s obsession.

Edited by viking mama

2 hours ago, higgyfan said:

happen again.

Did you mean Pearson? 

His grilling by the media, is what I found the most distasteful or uncomfortable to witness. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, viking mama said:

I would feel a tad better, if EP said he loves it here (instead of “I like it here”) but when they start playing play-off bound hockey well-above .500, again…I know that he will! 

He stated he wants to win. And stated later he thinks the Canucks can be a winning team. I don't think Petey is going anywhere. The team needs to get it's cap space in order.

And improve the defence and centre depth.

3 hours ago, EddieVedder said:

Yea yea. Train hard in summer. We will be back better next year.  Heard it all before many times.

This team still needs some major surgery and 4 more legit core pieces that arent pretend core pieces.

Yeah, the Canucks are not the only one that trains hard in the summer.  Other players in the league also train hard so it goes back to square one.  What we need is to get better skill-wise that goes along with training. 

3 hours ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

I'm not a fan of our media whatsoever but they actually did their jobs today and had the balls to actually ask Pearson the hard questions. Especially since we only heard from Hughes and management and not Pearson.

They were the specific relevant questions that should have been asked. It was tough to watch a guy possibly dealing with the end of his career. 

I noticed he had his hand in a brace.  Not good considering it's been like 8 months since the injury.  I would say at this point his career is over and he's probably dealing with simply trying to get the hand back to use in his daily life...

• Cheers 1

Just now, Elias Pettersson said:

I noticed he had his hand in a brace.  Not good considering it's been like 8 months since the injury.  I would say at this point his career is over and he's probably dealing with simply trying to get the hand back to use in his daily life...

When you mention playing with your kids, that is an indication he's looking at the bigger picture.

• Huggy Bear 2