The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report/Rumour] Elias Pettersson Contract Talks

8 minutes ago, BertaNuck said:

This off season is dragging, come Allvin do something, anything so I can analyze it for the next 2 months

even a fin extension will do 

I don't know for sure but I think we should consider letting fin go at the end of his contract.I think we need a mascot that is quicker above the ice.Speed is more important than brute force.

On 7/23/2023 at 12:49 PM, HorvatToBaertschi said:

You don't think a 100+ point 25 year old who finished 7th in Selke voting is worth 12 million when 16+ is the max contract? The reality is, Pettersson is the greatest talent we've ever had in this franchise, in 50+ years. Yes, I said it, not Bure (who is the most electric), it's Pettersson. He'd be worth every penny at 12 million. I think we'll get him at 8x11 and that'll be a steal.

No that was Bure.   Mogilny so far has also done more.   He's got the potential.   That's different.   Let's see how he does.   Max?   Watch the video AJ put up.   So far McDavid has got closest to the max, UFA or otherwise.   Aside from Sundin of course (if he signed his deal which even he knew was ridiculous).    I've watched every Canuck player since the late 80's and so far Bure and Mogilny are the highest bar.   Peca and Kesler were better two way players.   Mogilny was no slouch in that regard either.    Not all Selke's, Art Ross, Hart and Norris trophies or votes are created equally.   EP in the same era ... sorry just don't see it.   EP has the potential to pass Bure and Mogilny's, and the Sedins.   The latter I think is the most possible.    He's got to actually score 60 goals and or rattle off a bunch of 100 plus point seasons to surpass these guys first. 

Edit: Actually Crosby got more his second deal 17.2%. 

Edited by IBatch
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, IBatch said:

No that was Bure.   Mogilny so far has also done more.   He's got the potential.   That's different.   Let's see how he does.   Max?   Watch the video AJ put up.   So far McDavid has got closest to the max, UFA or otherwise.   Aside from Sundin of course (if he signed his deal which even he knew was ridiculous).    I've watched every Canuck player since the late 80's and so far Bure and Mogilny are the highest bar.   Peca and Kesler were better two way players.   Mogilny was no slouch in that regard either.    Not all Selke's, Art Ross, Hart and Norris trophies or votes are created equally.   EP in the same era ... sorry just don't see it.   EP has the potential to pass Bure and Mogilny's, and the Sedins.   The latter I think is the most possible.    He's got to actually score 60 goals and or rattle off a bunch of 100 plus point seasons to surpass these guys first. 

I don't think Pettersson has even really separated himself from Hughes as a talent.

Pettersson over Bure and Mogilny is a glaring symptom of recency bias or possibly not having watched the other two in real time.  Pettersson could surpass them...anything is possible...but all of his work is yet ahead of him.

Ronning was also a pretty remarkable talent...just trapped in the body of a house mouse.  I think what he and Bobby Lalonde could have done in the NHL with another six inches and forty pounds would have been incredible.  As it was Ronning still wasn't more than a stone's throw from the Hall of Fame.

Edited by Kevin Biestra
  • Like 2
  • Cheers 1

5 hours ago, hammertime said:

I think he will hold our feet to the fire for 12m knowing that he could sign in any of Dallas, Nashville, Seattle for 10 and have a similar take home. I don't see him taking less than 12. 

Petey_Off-White_tracksuit

Petey dresses funny. :lol:
Guys are paid in US dollars. Petey gets 30% more when converted to Canadian. That’s a fact.

Bow to Alf’s empties! :frantic:

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, IBatch said:

How good was Bure on the defensive end? How about Mogilny? They were more electric, Pettersson is more talented. 

• Wat 1
  • RoughGame 1

On 7/22/2023 at 2:15 PM, cripplereh said:

Me right at this point with one 100 point season he is worth 10.5.

He gets that this year or more he is worth 11.

no one should get over 10 mil unless they've taken their team to a stanley cup.

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Kevin Biestra said:

As it was Ronning still wasn't more than a stone's throw from the Hall of Fame.

A cup win, and a couple more years  of scoring at his Canuck pace and he'd be in,imo.

I look at his junior stats and just laugh, at the numbers, their insane!

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1

3 hours ago, Gurn said:

A cup win, and a couple more years  of scoring at his Canuck pace and he'd be in,imo.

I look at his junior stats and just laugh, at the numbers, their insane!

His numbers in Italy were also crazy.  Guy really was an elite talent.  Still had it when he didn't get a contract after the lockout.  Saw him at an alumni game a couple years later and he seemed like he could still do it all.  Take that Italy year and it would have been another 65 points or something in the NHL right there.  He started late in the NHL too.  Didn't get a relatively full time season until he was 23, then off to Italy for a year so wasn't really an established NHL regular until age 25.  Still got fairly close to 1000 points.

Edited by Kevin Biestra
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, Cromeslab said:

Honest question.How much cap do we have to sign Petey?

Pearson, Myers, Beauvillier, Cole contracts expire at the end of 2024 season, that’s $16.3M. Cap expected to go up 3-5M so we’re looking at $19-25.3M of cap space next off season. If Garland is moved, that’s an extra $2-4.9M that will be available assuming the return.

So roughly $19-25.3M. To sign Hronek and Pettersson.

• Cheers 1

9 minutes ago, Odd. said:

Pearson, Myers, Beauvillier, Cole contracts expire at the end of 2024 season, that’s $16.3M. Cap expected to go up 3-5M so we’re looking at $19-25.3M of cap space next off season. If Garland is moved, that’s an extra $2-4.9M that will be available assuming the return.

With that kinda money I would hope to bolster D as well

18 minutes ago, Odd. said:

8 minutes ago, Cromeslab said:

With that kinda money I would hope to bolster D as well

That money gets spent on

an entire fourth line, a 3rd line center, and two right side D, other than Hronek

plus a forward and d man to sit in the press box.

Edit to add - plus they'll need a backup goalie.

Edited by Gurn
  • Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Cromeslab said:

Honest question.How much cap do we have to sign Petey?

Myers 6 + Beau 4 + Beluger 2 + Cole 3 + Pearson 3 = 18m ish

Petes raise will be close to 5 Hroneks will be 3 then we have to factor in OEL 4m ish = 12 

which leaves us with 6ish mll to get 2 x 15-20 min RHD, a 2nd line winger and a 3/4 PKing C

Hopefully guys like Hoglander, Podkolzin, Raty, Bains will shore up our fwd group and we won't feel the loss of Beau, Beluger, Pearson the hope is always that they will not only replace but become an improvement. On D however honestly I would have no issue extending Myers at 2m as a bottom pairing guy and just waiting for Willander to cook. We are going to have to be frugal and hope for the best. 

• Cheers 3
  • Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, hammertime said:

Petes raise will be close to 5 Hroneks will be 3 then we have to factor in OEL 4m ish = 12 

which leaves us with 6ish mll to get 2 x 15-20 min RHD, a 2nd line winger and a 3/4 PKing C

Hopefully guys like Hoglander, Podkolzin, Raty, Bains will shore up our fwd group and we won't feel the loss of Beau, Beluger, Pearson the hope is always that they will not only replace but become an improvement. On D however honestly I would have no issue extending Myers at 2m as a bottom pairing guy and just waiting for Willander to cook. We are going to have to be frugal and hope for the best. 

Sorry, you know it's not like a GM can go to the Hockey Player Store and just find players?

Its not as easy to go, I'd like to buy a 3rd line centre please? Canucks best bet, is start to stockpile picks and draft and develop the players we need.

• Cheers 1

39 minutes ago, hammertime said:

Peteys raise close to 5?  
He is getting over 12 mill?   
I doubt it.  
I also doubt Hronek gets almost 8 mill

• Thanks 2
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, hammertime said:

Capfriendly showing $34m cap space in 2024/25 with 11 players signed.

There will probably be some major moves prior to 2024/25 like moving out Garland or Boeser. But if no major moves, assuming we added Raty, Hirose, Juulsen to the roster (total $2.4m), then it looks something like this with 14 players signed (8 unsigned players in brackets) and $31.6m in cap space:

Kuzmenko - (Pettersson) - Mikheyev

Hoglander - Miller - Boeser

(Podkolzin) - Raty - Garland

(Aman) - (Blueger) - (Joshua)

Di Giuseppe

Hughes - (1RD)

Soucy - (Hronek)

Hirose - (3RD)

Brisebois - Juulsen

Demko - (Silovs)

We have $31.6m to sign these guys:

Pettersson - $11m

Hronek - $7m

1RD - Stop gap UFA? $4m available - maybe one of Cole/Roy/Tanev/DeMelo/Hakanpaa

Blueger - $2.5m

Podkolzin - $1.5m 

Aman - $1.5m

Joshua - $1.5m

Silovs - $1.5m

3RD - maybe Woo/Johansson/McWard? $1m

• Cheers 3

1 hour ago, D.B Cooper said:

Peteys raise close to 5?  
He is getting over 12 mill?   
I doubt it.  
I also doubt Hronek gets almost 8 mill

Pete ain't signing long term sub 12 book it. 

Hronek will surely get 7

even if you're right we save a mill at best and have 7 instead of 6 to sign 5 players doesn't move the needle much. Like @Ghostsof1915 said it's not so easy to just head down to bulk barn. 

Edited by hammertime