The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report/Rumour] Elias Pettersson Contract Talks

4 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Makes sense, it benefits Pettersson to wait. And really, even if Pettersson doesn't break 100 points this coming season he's still got management by the balls, how do they build this thing without him going forward if the idea is to compete?

We have nobody in system who can replace what Pettersson does for the Canucks.

Agree he is the lynchpin to our retool strategy, and has all the leverage.

It’s also why I don’t see the Canucks playing hardball. They’l back up the truck to get this done before the season.  

$11.25M - 11.5M is getting close to McKinnon country. 

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, Ted Lasso said:

This issue was raised by a group of player agents polled by the Athletic, who thought many players would take the guaranteed long term deal after a career season, instead of risking injury or a dip in production.  

So, no..not wishful thinking.

Some injuries change a players trajectory and ability to use their talents. Boeser is an example.

what’s your rationale for thinking he signs next year?

Boeser always had "floating around" issues even before his injury. After the year he packed on the muscle weight he slowed down even more. 

My rational? Because the chance he performs as well or better then last year is high. Higher than a mauling injury to drop his worth down that's for sure. Even if he does get injured how does that effect his worth? He's young and a upcoming super star!  injuries never stop a lot of players signing new contracts. That's a reach. Even Ferlund got a good deal after huge concussion the season before. A player like Petey would still land a huge payday if he was out half the season (hypothetically) 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Rick_theRyper said:

Boeser always had "floating around" issues even before his injury. After the year he packed on the muscle weight he slowed down even more. 

My rational? Because the chance he performs as well or better then last year is high. Higher than a mauling injury to drop his worth down that's for sure. Even if he does get injured how does that effect his worth? He's young and a upcoming super star!  injuries never stop a lot of players signing new contracts. That's a reach. Even Ferlund got a good deal after huge concussion the season before. A player like Petey would still land a huge payday if he was out half the season (hypothetically) 

There’s a good chance he has an even better season, but having his contract in the balance could just as easily distract him, lessen his confidence.

This was also brought up by agents as a reason many young stars sign a year early.

IMHO, it’s more likely he signs for less term than dragging it out into the season

23 minutes ago, Jester13 said:

Maybe he'll sign for more than that. The main point still stands.

I'm with you there. We will see how it goes I could see him do 12 with a full NMC. Like you said hand shake on 3 years and he can choose where he goes if he wants out. IMO the best fit for him other than here of course would be Nashville. They've got Trotz at the helm now and about 3 years of dead cap. His take home would be 

$1,972,600 more in Nashville. We will see if he likes it here more than the money. 

6 minutes ago, hammertime said:

I'm with you there. We will see how it goes I could see him do 12 with a full NMC. Like you said hand shake on 3 years and he can choose where he goes if he wants out. IMO the best fit for him other than here of course would be Nashville. They've got Trotz at the helm now and about 3 years of dead cap. His take home would be 

$1,972,600 more in Nashville. We will see if he likes it here more than the money. 

I could see him go 11x8, but I'll be surprised if it's more than that, personally.

He'll sign with us, though. I believe that he does love Vancouver, and I also believe he will buy in to what Allvin & Co will be selling him. With the history the Canucks have with Swedes as well, I see no reason why it won't get done. It has to get done. 

Just now, Jester13 said:

I could see him go 11x8, but I'll be surprised if it's more than that, personally.

He'll sign with us, though. I believe that he does love Vancouver, and I also believe he will buy in to what Allvin & Co will be selling him. With the history the Canucks have with Swedes as well, I see no reason why it won't get done. It has to get done. 

I hope so. If the cap goes up as much as projected that contract will be a steal when Pete's hitting his prime. 

1 hour ago, hammertime said:

I hope so. If the cap goes up as much as projected that contract will be a steal when Pete's hitting his prime. 

Just think what it would look like if Benning hadn’t messed up the cap and we could have signed him to a max term around $8.5 million deal.  Same with a Hughes deal that could have been sub $8 million at the time.

$11 million probably isn’t ever going to be a steal.  The cap doesn’t have infinite linear growth potential.  TV deals are probably going down if anything in the future, ticket prices only have room to grow in the less traditional markets.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Provost said:

Just think what it would look like if Benning hadn’t messed up the cap and we could have signed him to a max term around $8.5 million deal.  Same with a Hughes deal that could have been sub $8 million at the time.

$11 million probably isn’t ever going to be a steal.  The cap doesn’t have infinite linear growth potential.  TV deals are probably going down if anything in the future, ticket prices only have room to grow in the less traditional markets.

Just think what it would look like if the cap didnt freeze. If a 4-8mil cap increase wasnt halted in 2020.

• There it is 1

Hey if he wants to make 12+ a season I say go out and prove you’re worth that.

If he can up his level to the Mackinnon’s and Matthews of the league then I don’t think anyone will have a problem seeing him get paid.

The risk for him though is say he only puts up 90ish points. No way is that getting you 12 million. Probably drops him back down to the 10-10.5 mil range.

37 minutes ago, D.B Cooper said:

I hate to be that guy, but that sounds like someone who doesn’t want to stay long term.  

He put a pause on contract talks because he wants to focus on the upcoming season.   Sure.  
He won’t negotiate during because he will want to focus on the season then as well. 

My guess would be no deal until next year, and it will be a short one, or he pulls a Tkachuk and refuses to sign, then we are forced to traded him 

I personally appreciate that Petey seems to always be honest in his answers. Much better than majority of players who just make statements to make the fans happy and we really don't know what's going on in thier head.

at the end of the day Petey wants to win and he'll stay in Vancouver long-term if we can win. I'd much rather have a player like that who prioritizes winning over an Ekman-Larsson, Auston Matthews, Patrick Laine, Pierre-Luc Dubois and others who prioritize lifestyle

also i'm sure many players are currently debating short-term vs. long-term strategies. if Petey sign s a 8 year deal he'll be a UFA at 33 i believe. Chances are his age 33+ contract will not be that great.

If he's looking to maximize his earnings than it makes more sense to sign a 3-4 year deal so he can be a UFA at age 28-29 and cash in one more time. Although there's risk with this approach.

55 minutes ago, D.B Cooper said:

I hate to be that guy, but that sounds like someone who doesn’t want to stay long term.  

He put a pause on contract talks because he wants to focus on the upcoming season.   Sure.  
He won’t negotiate during because he will want to focus on the season then as well. 

My guess would be no deal until next year, and it will be a short one, or he pulls a Tkachuk and refuses to sign, then we are forced to traded him 

My take is that he wants to bet on himself. 

Have another 100+ point season to give himself leverage to push for a Mackinnon/Matthews-level contract.

Could've probably easily gotten 10.5 this summer, but he wants to see if he can push for 12.

As long as the Canucks remain competitive for a wild card sport, I think he'll stay. I'll have the same fears as you if the Canucks have an atrocious season and are bottom-feeders. 

Edited by KoreanHockeyFan

I feel like a lot of this is just JP Barry calling the shots.

Guy can’t do a negotiation without turning it into a big media circus.

Guarantee they’re waiting out Matthews and his camp before thinking about signing. That contract will bring the ceiling for contracts up.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

imo a contract will be hammered out before the regular season. If it was me, it's awfully risky to risk injury with as much guaranteed money on the table available. This is just me guessing, but a contract is definitely going to be 6-8 years at 10.5-11 per. Hard to walk away from that.