The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report/Rumour] Elias Pettersson Contract Talks

4 hours ago, IBatch said:

Good grief.  Get it.  You're not a fan of Tochett.   Not sure why.   Didn't you enjoy how those guys played the game?   

Would rather trust Tochett with these things.   Let's give him some time before throwing him out.   To me that's at least 2 maybe 3 years.   Did Tochett beat you up and steal your lunch money or something as kid?  This isn't a nursery school sport.   Let's give the guy a chance at least first.   We don't have any clue what's going on in that locker room.   Maybe he's a total goof who won't shut up after scoring a goal.    As for Joshua, maybe Tochett was just trying something out.  

This makes me sad to read. You are trying to frame me as weak. Imagine people that have been bullied reading that. Some do drag it through their life, some excel because of it like the great GSP. Either way, they should be allowed to have opinions on a hockey forum.

But whats worse is you hid behind Tocchets toughness to belittle me. Not your own. Tell me all you know in your time competing in sports that dont classify as nursery school and I'll tell you mine. 

You want to give Rick 2-3 years, great. I will voice my displeasue how and whenever I want if I see things I dont like. If he makes us a winner I will acknowledge he did well. 

Now, if you cant be more respectful in the future, find the ignore button. Thank you.

Edited by bishopshodan
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, grandmaster said:

MacKinnon did when he signed his 6M x 7 years. He is doing ok now though.

Sid also gave and still gives a big discount at his 8.7M for last 15 or so years 

Yea but % wise Crosby didnt cut them a break. Crosby’s 8.7mil cap hit was 17% of the entire cap. 
Mackinnon also struggled before signing that contract, he proved nothing and was handed a generous deal. It wasnt until 2 years into that deal that he broke out finally. He was rewarded on potential, COL gambled on a big payoff for themselves and it worked

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

I would think admitting he made a mistake goes a long way to getting another chance. It's no question he is very smart, and in my opinion the best goalie I have ever seen (Lindbergh). His dedication is obvious if he can overcome his cockiness I could see him in the NHL again.

I agree.

i was just using him as a point.

Being a player obviously gives you insight to the game like no other. But it is not a lock that it will translate to being a good coach. 

On Rick, I'll give Tocchet this, he does seem like a good communicator. I do pull for our teams success. I know you rememer me going on about JT Miller when many, including you, kinda gave me the gears. i dont have a great feeling about Rick but again, I want to be proven wrong. 

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, bishopshodan said:

How would we really know?

I'd be surprised if any first year player would come out publicly against a brand new coach.

Kuz is something though. His talent is obvious, but more than that is his attitude. He is personality is absolutely electrifying. I bet he is a real energy in that room and it is no surprise that he became a fan fave. 

Tochhet is so lucky to be nepo-gifted this squad. 

It was often reported throughout the season that he was soaking it all up from the coaches and that he understood where they were coming from. 

5 minutes ago, Jester13 said:

It was often reported throughout the season that he was soaking it all up from the coaches and that he understood where they were coming from. 

He's awesome. That's great to hear.

Still dont like that Rick got in the way of his 40th. With that kind of attitude, I would have thought the coach would have helped the kid out as he was so close. Kuz has the talent to make up for some of his gaffs. He's a bit high risk, high reward...very exciting. Hope Rick doesn't squash that flare too much. 

3 hours ago, bishopshodan said:

How would we really know?

I'd be surprised if any first year player would come out publicly against a brand new coach.

Kuz is something though. His talent is obvious, but more than that is his attitude. He is personality is absolutely electrifying. I bet he is a real energy in that room and it is no surprise that he became a fan fave. 

Tochhet is so lucky to be nepo-gifted this squad. 

I agree he’s walking onto a fairly talented roster vs what they’ve accomplished so far.  Shouldn’t be too hard to look good.

On the other hand, I hope the expectations stay high for him and the team for this season.  He needs to make the playoffs and not embarrass themselves when they get there.  I’m quite bullish on his assistants more than the man himself but he’s done a good job with the blue collar communicator bit so far.  Hope it works.

Off topic to what you said:

I’ve read some articles saying we don’t have depth.  I get that losing Petey/Demko/Miller/Hughes/Hronek will really hurt.  The D is weak past the top 3-4. 

But it was also said up front.  I get that our 3C is a 4C on a playoff team.  But we’re also poised to be lining up a 45+ point analytic darling in Garland on the 3rd line.  There’s barely any room for quality young players like Pods and Hogs.  Joshua put up 11 goals last year. 

You can always ask for more depth but we’re loaded with 5 lines worth of NHL quality wingers. We have the looks of a legit top 4 and about 6 guys who could play 3rd pair.  We aren’t going to win the cup but we can’t be bottom half of the league this year. No more excuses. It’s time to put it all together. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • There it is 1

25 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

He's awesome. That's great to hear.

Still dont like that Rick got in the way of his 40th. With that kind of attitude, I would have thought the coach would have helped the kid out as he was so close. Kuz has the talent to make up for some of his gaffs. He's a bit high risk, high reward...very exciting. Hope Rick doesn't squash that flare too much. 

I think the team needed to be taught lessons about responsibility far more than rewarding them for their crap performance during the season. If Kuzmenko wanted he could have bared down and played the best hockey of the season and still scored if it was that important, which I don't think it really was 39 ... 40 same difference to me. It's not like he got benched or anything. 

4 hours ago, wai_lai416 said:

yup ppl keep using other people's cap hit as comparables.. when they should be using % of cap hit as comparables

(I mentioned years ago), That perhaps the NHLPA should negotiate a limit on a % of what any single player could make of the cap (when signed) and that way All the NHLPA members  benefit from the cap increase evenly?

5 minutes ago, Ballisticsports. said:

(I mentioned years ago), That perhaps the NHLPA should negotiate a limit on a % of what any single player could make of the cap (when signed) and that way All the NHLPA members  benefit from the cap increase evenly?

There already is a limit. The maximum salary for any player is 20% of the total salary cap. For 2023 that is $16,700,000. 

http://www.puckreport.com/2009/07/nhl-minimum-wage-maximum-wage-by-year.html?m=1

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Elias Pettersson said:

There already is a limit. The maximum salary for any player is 20% of the total salary cap. For 2023 that is $16,700,000. 

http://www.puckreport.com/2009/07/nhl-minimum-wage-maximum-wage-by-year.html?m=1

The way our owners in the past spent money so bad , they could put me in net for that and we might win one game.

Would it really be a shocker to anyone if Pete held Alvin over a Barrel for max cap or demanded a trade to a tax haven? 

How much faith do you think he has that we are actually going to build a contender here?

Would you take a discount if you were him based on what you've seen from this franchise so far?

• Thanks 1
  • Wat 1
  • Upvote 1
  • RoughGame 1

45 minutes ago, hammertime said:

Would it really be a shocker to anyone if Pete held Alvin over a Barrel for max cap or demanded a trade to a tax haven? 

How much faith do you think he has that we are actually going to build a contender here?

Would you take a discount if you were him based on what you've seen from this franchise so far?

Which team that is a tax haven and a contender would trade for Petey and be able to fit him under the cap? 

Edited by Elias Pettersson
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

Petey seemed happy they signed Hronek from their post-season availability together.

He also can’t be displeased with them making their 1st round pick, and adding reasonable PK pieces in UFA this year.  They are definitely showing him they want to make the playoffs this season…

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, hammertime said:

Is it outlandish to think there's another Huberdeau deal out there to rob another Canadian team?

I guess Tampa could trade for him. Half the team have NTC however. Point would have to come back. Maybe Cernak too. Cap wise it doesn’t work. 

I guess Florida could trade Barkov for Petey. Again, he has a NMC. These guys aren’t gonna want to come to Vancouver. 

New Jersey maybe. The Hughes brothers for Petey?  Hischier and Siegenthaler?

There are very few trade options for Petey. 

Edited by Elias Pettersson
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, hammertime said:

I don’t know if he’d take a big discount, but I think he has character and loyalty, and is willing to make things work if he’s seeing the positive steps that are happening. He seems like the type who holds his cards close to his chest but at the end of the day wants to see the team win. 

1 hour ago, hammertime said:

Wel to be honest asides from the Boudreau situation (which we don’t know the full true context of) I truly like the JR PA approach to team building and improving the organization 

I don’t see EP40 taking a discount at all but I think he will take a fair contract 

• Cheers 2

2 hours ago, Ted Lasso said:

Petey seemed happy they signed Hronek from their post-season availability together.

He also can’t be displeased with them making their 1st round pick, and adding reasonable PK pieces in UFA this year.  They are definitely showing him they want to make the playoffs this season…

Defence was a Canuck killer and in only 1 year, we only have Hughes (maybe Meyers) from the starting lineup  last year 

He probably understands it will take time to unravel the mess they are in, but sees the more positive changes taking place

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, Ted Lasso said:

Swedish GM who has drafted two Swedes in the 1st round…

It’s all served up for Petey.

• Cheers 1
  • There it is 2

2 hours ago, Slegr said:

I don’t know if he’d take a big discount, but I think he has character and loyalty, and is willing to make things work if he’s seeing the positive steps that are happening. He seems like the type who holds his cards close to his chest but at the end of the day wants to see the team win. 

Back around when the Canucks were League President winners, didn't the Sedins,Kesler,Burrows  etc all sign under $6 million while a guy like Gomez made $8 million?

I agree with your take on EP (but maybe he will only  want  a 4-5 yr contract  to keep his option open though, and risk he has no injuries)?

At the same time, giving up a guaranteed $30 million (for 3 more years) is hard to pass on at a young age (when is enough enough)?:P

But then again counting what he has made so far, and if signing $50 for 5 yrs (as an example) he won't be living in a tent homeless and could afford to take a chance to keep that option out, (if he no longer likes what he sees) and even an option to make more in those 3 yrs with cap increases over the years