The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report/Rumour] Elias Pettersson Contract Talks

3 hours ago, stawns said:

I don't buy into the "one of the worst prospects pools in the NHL" mantra........technically it might seem that way, but they also have the youngest NHL roster.

A recent article had us ranked 24th out of 32 teams. Even if that assessment is overly harsh, our team and our prospects are currently middling at best. While we are seen as having some good pieces, we have no ‘tier 1’ prospects like Smith, Fantilli, Bedard, etc. We would have needed a top 5 pick to get a tier 1 player last draft. This will impact our future need for ELCs and hamper our ability to keep a window (which hasn’t opened yet) open longer. I was quite p*ssed at the run they had at the end of last season. I’d have liked to see Demmer play less and see what we have in Abbotsford, and get a top 5 pick instead. 

• Cheers 1

11 hours ago, Provost said:

You don’t need a 1 for 1 replacement for Miller if you have more depth and better players all over the roster like could have been accomplished with trades and a buttload of cap space.

You also suddenly would have some high end picks and prospects which will be badly needed in the coming years to pay for raises to guys like Petterson, Hronek, and Hughes.

It is really tough to build a contending roster without cheap ELC players outperforming Their contracts and offsetting more expensive market rate players.

We have to hope that we are very competitive this year as there is no cavalry coming in the pipeline, we still have one of the worst prospect pools in the league.  All the the big cap increases in the coming years are already spent if you want to keep this roster together.  Petterson/ Hronek raises and Eriksson’s increased penalty eat up about $12 million in extra cap by two seasons from now.  Teams with their key players already signed and cheap ELC players on the way will use that $12 million to get better while we use it to tread water.

If we aren’t going on a bubble type playoff run this year then we are screwed.  We will have to trade guys like Petey and Hronek who likely don’t want to tie the rest of their careers to a floundering team.

I don't know , a lot of your statements sound pretty vague. Not sure how you can just omit a player like Miller and think you are going to perform better? So I guess your 3rd and 4th line C's will make up his 90 or so points, play on the PP etc.? I think you need key pieces to the puzzle and I would say he is a key piece. 

So you are going to rely on a bunch of cheap rookies to take you to the promised land? Yeah OK. I guess that would be ideal but I don't know how realistic that is.

Is there really a do or die push to make the playoffs this year? This new management has not had much time to undo the wrongdoings of the past regime so i am not expecting miracles this far in yet. If they can rid ourselves of the abundance of top 6 wingers , then maybe they can balance out the rest of the team. Until this happens, I am not expecting anything that looks like a finished product. If we improve over last year, i would be good with that. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, steviewonder20 said:

A recent article had us ranked 24th out of 32 teams. Even if that assessment is overly harsh, our team and our prospects are currently middling at best. While we are seen as having some good pieces, we have no ‘tier 1’ prospects like Smith, Fantilli, Bedard, etc. We would have needed a top 5 pick to get a tier 1 player last draft. This will impact our future need for ELCs and hamper our ability to keep a window (which hasn’t opened yet) open longer. I was quite p*ssed at the run they had at the end of last season. I’d have liked to see Demmer play less and see what we have in Abbotsford, and get a top 5 pick instead. 

Teams that are pushing for playoffs typically have average prospect pools.

You don’t just go from having top 5 picks to playoffs like that.

We got our superstar forward and D man with those picks. Some teams take a few drafts with at least one miss to get those players. 

The idea that we’ll keep getting top 5 picks when we have young star players entering their prime is just wrong. Teams that do that never go anywhere.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

1 hour ago, BertaNuck said:

Vancouver has Been an under performing circus media show for a few years 

can’t blame him for wanting to wait and see 

Oh you mean when Benning was in charge? There is new blood in town who know what they are doing for a change.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, EdgarM said:

Oh you mean when Benning was in charge? There is new blood in town who know what they are doing for a change.

Yup. And it actually seems like our owner is supporting new management while not getting his snout into hockey ops. Maybe that’s the wait and see Petey is checking out before extending? Will our owner continue to support this management group and keep his snout out of hockey stuff? 

7 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Yup. And it actually seems like our owner is supporting new management while not getting his snout into hockey ops. Maybe that’s the wait and see Petey is checking out before extending? Will our owner continue to support this management group and keep his snout out of hockey stuff? 

Joaquin Phoenix Reaction GIF

Recent siting of Aquaman's reply. 

Edited by IBatch
  • There it is 1

11 hours ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Please stop using that term weaponized. There's no such thing. That would only be using gobs of cap space to do the stupid thing of making offer sheets.

Which is basically a GM committing career suicide. Montreal/Carolina being a recent example of not only failing to try and grab a player, but the team retaliated back and wound up stealing an important player from Montreal when they ran out of cap space. Having cap space means you have options at the trade deadline, or at the start of the season.

The Pittsburgh/Vancouver thing was a rumour. Nothing more.

Look at a team like Arizona. They had cap space. Did they "weaponize" it? Nope. Are you seeing Chicago and Anaheim doing anything with cap space?

Nope. May they take advantage of it at the start of the season? Yes. But I don't see Chicago or Anaheim making offer sheets. They might trade cap space for bad contracts and get more draft picks and accelerate the rebuilds.

To be fair.  Montreal had the cap space to match the Kotkaniemi offer sheet. They just didn't feel he was worth $6.1 m 

3 hours ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

I think more of they gradually let the team lose it's older stars by attrition. They got something for Kane from NYR.

What they should have done was try and draft and develop so when they got to drafting Bedard, at least you can set him up with some good pieces.

Chicago seemed to be trying to compete by trading for Seth Jones. Then changed their mind. (And GM, with scandals etc.)

Now they have to start all over again.

Yeah, they tried to retool by trading for Jones and it backfired on them.  They could have had Jiricek and Sillinger instead with those picks and also Boqvist who they traded.  Jiricek would have been a huge second piece of their core along with Bedard.  They got as much as they could for Kane, he had a NMC.  Toews was injured so they couldn't trade him.  They hung on to Keith for too long and got almost nothing for him. Same with Seabrook.  At the end of the day, they tried to delay their rebuild for as long as possible and even tried a retool with Jones.  It all backfired on them and now all they really have is Bedard, which they acquired by fluke by winning the lottery.

They will probably be in the race for Celebrini this year.  Odds are they will get him too.  And they will win the cup again before Vancouver.  Imagine Bedard bringing the cup home to Vancouver wearing a Chicago jersey?  That is my biggest fear right now and could be devastating for this city really.  The city will probably riot if that happens...

• Cheers 1

40 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I dunno Alfie, looks like Aquilini is still getting his nose dirty, he can't help himself really...

aquilini4.webp

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, DeNiro said:

Teams that are pushing for playoffs typically have average prospect pools.

You don’t just go from having top 5 picks to playoffs like that.

We got our superstar forward and D man with those picks. Some teams take a few drafts with at least one miss to get those players. 

The idea that we’ll keep getting top 5 picks when we have young star players entering their prime is just wrong. Teams that do that never go anywhere.

We’ve had the worst of both worlds: going nowhere for years (no playoffs 7/8 years) , not having cap space and not stockpiling high picks. 

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1
  • There it is 1

9 minutes ago, steviewonder20 said:

We’ve had the worst of both worlds: going nowhere for years (no playoffs 7/8 years) , not having cap space and not stockpiling high picks. 

Yea but even teams that stockpile picks are lucky to get a superstar forward and D man that’s my point.

Just cause you have the picks doesn’t mean they pan out. See Buffalo. Also Eichel jumped ship much like Petey certainly would have had we entered a never ending rebuild.

Not saying our build was done great but at least I recognize that they’re trying to get out of the never ending tank cycle. That’s gonna equal an average prospect pool over the next 5 or so years. As long as we start to make a progress as a team I’m fine with that.

In the meantime who’s to say Lekkeramaki and Willander won’t end up being better than some of the players taken top 10?

4 hours ago, Tower102 said:

Chicago blew it up, come on, thats a rebuild. They traded a young Debrincat and a young Dach.

It's hilarious that anyone would claim otherwise. Arguing just to argue at that point. In reality 95% of plans fail in the NHL. Trying to label everything is silly.

ESPN is projecting Petey to be 3rd in the league in scoring this year at 116 points behind the Oiler duo. This is the last year for me where I am willing to give it test. I personally look at the roster and think we are a top 2/3 team in the division easily. I think analysts projecting standings never give nuance and mostly just reiterate the last season's standings. I don't really see how we can fill out the edges of the team much better than we did this summer around the core. Give them a chance to see if we have a contender within this group. If we miss the playoffs again barring major injury to a core member, it will be time to tear it all down.

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, steviewonder20 said:

Yes, because their best young players are in the NHL, for the most part.

1 hour ago, Gawdzukes said:

It's hilarious that anyone would claim otherwise. Arguing just to argue at that point. In reality 95% of plans fail in the NHL. Trying to label everything is silly.

They will use those draft picks to get players to put around Bedard.  They're not rebuilding, they're retooling.  No way they have a plan to get competitive through the draft somewhere down the road with Bedard in the lineup.  

1 hour ago, Tower102 said:

ESPN is projecting Petey to be 3rd in the league in scoring this year at 116 points behind the Oiler duo. This is the last year for me where I am willing to give it test. I personally look at the roster and think we are a top 2/3 team in the division easily. I think analysts projecting standings never give nuance and mostly just reiterate the last season's standings. I don't really see how we can fill out the edges of the team much better than we did this summer around the core. Give them a chance to see if we have a contender within this group. If we miss the playoffs again barring major injury to a core member, it will be time to tear it all down.

If they don't make the playoffs this year, I think it's a blowup 

• In an interview with Iain MacIntyre of Sportsnet, head coach of the Vancouver Canucks, Rick Tocchet, touched on several topics, including the pending restricted free agency of Elias Pettersson, and the ceiling of the Canucks headed into next season. Tocchet notes that if Vancouver can’t make the playoffs next year, the organization will need to “check most of the boxes” to entice him to stay, such as improvements from the coaching & development staff, as well as team cohesion throughout the season. Tocchet also said that the team is “capable of success”, but would not elaborate entirely on his use of the word ‘success’.

37 minutes ago, stawns said:

They will use those draft picks to get players to put around Bedard.  They're not rebuilding, they're retooling.  No way they have a plan to get competitive through the draft somewhere down the road with Bedard in the lineup.  

lol call it what you want. It's a rebuild by every definition in my books. No wonder you say they never work when you make up your own definitions. ::D I honestly don't really care about silly labels though. Whatever it is it is they're doing it and I like their course of action.

They've reached rock bottom, ditched every one of their decent players for draft picks, didn't re-up their aging stars and are rebuilding the entire team from the bottom up. It's so delusional I can't even take this seriously. What on earth would they have to do to move to a rebuild in your mind? Trade Berard for picks? :frantic: :P

I don't know that I've ever seen a better example of a classic definition rebuild in my entire life.

Edited by Gawdzukes