The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report/Rumour] Elias Pettersson Contract Talks

7 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

Yeah, i agree with this. The Canucks haven't demonstrated nearly enough to warrant their own players giving the organization discounts. Discount for sucking? No thanks. With that being said, it worries me that EP40 isn't as confirmed to sign long term. Him signing short term gives me the impression that the jury is still out in his trust with management and where they're heading. He probably has Benning PTSD just like the rest of us. 

f**k Benning and his regime. They f**king screwed us over. 

If he signs a shorter term deal and we continue to tread water or a bit better he's probably gone at the end it imo

Makes sense for him to wait and see given how competitive he is, dude wants to win

9 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

Yeah, i agree with this. The Canucks haven't demonstrated nearly enough to warrant their own players giving the organization discounts. Discount for sucking? No thanks. With that being said, it worries me that EP40 isn't as confirmed to sign long term. Him signing short term gives me the impression that the jury is still out in his trust with management and where they're heading. He probably has Benning PTSD just like the rest of us. 

Yeah the continuous spending/lengthy contracts. Now we got another that will nullify the raise in cap for the next several seasons... Yay! I think there's a chance though that we make the playoffs still so don't loose hope, IF I'm still watching every game after the all star break I call that a win. The last few years I watched a lot of partial games or skipped them completely so.. it'll be nice to be that loyal 82 game family again, I grew up watching every single game I could it's been hard since my two boys have been on this planet. Not a lot of ups! 

9 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

You don’t have to just infer that he doesn’t have trust with management.  That was literally what he said in his interviews this summer.

He just wants to win and needs to be sure the Canucks are a team that can do that before committing.  He says he is hopeful, but the team has also been terrible his entire tenure so his reticence is understandable.  That is WITH two superstar players who have provided way more contribution than their paycheques so far.

Right now we just have to hope that an improved defence and PK (at least on paper), turns this roster into a solid playoff team and some young players vastly outperform expectations from out of nowhere to help us actually contend in the short term.

Barring that, we have another lost decade ahead of us.

• Upvote 2

Is there an option for EP to go to a legit contender? It's not an easy transition to make. Most contenders have their guys and their guys locked up for awhile. The cap to a point, will dictate possible landing spots and there won't be a lot of spots better than Vancouver. Don't get me wrong, we have sucked for awhile, but if we have a good year I'm guessing EP will take the plunge long term here. I hope. 

12 hours ago, Canucks Curse said:

VGK want Petey bad

To VGK

Petersson

Hogz

Rathbone 

To VAN

2024 1st 

2025 1st 

no protection 

Nick Roy 

Barbashev

Shea Theadore 

Barby Miller Kuzy 

Beau Roy Brock 

Milky Suter Garland 

joshua Bluegger PDG

Aman, Podz 

Hughes Theadore 

Cole Hroneck

Soucy Myers then Bear 

that’s a playoff team 

plus we have 4 firsts in next 2 yrs!

Kenan Thompson No GIF by Saturday Night Live

• Haha 2

16 hours ago, Provost said:

We aren’t a contender WITH Miller…. We aren’t even being picked as a playoff team.

Unlike many folks here, I am actually interested in the Canucks winning a Stanley Cup in my lifetime.

Going all in for “maybe” squeaking out a wildcard spot and a few playoff games in round 1 before getting eliminated is meaningless to me.  If moving Miller turns us from the 15th place team to the 20th place team, but adds high end picks and prospects to actually help become a high end team… and gives us the cap space to sign other players to improve the roster… why not?

Again you are speculating that these "High end picks and prospects" are a "for sure" and are again going to lead us to the promised land and how does one player make or break you as a Stanley Cup contender? Do the other 20 plus players not matter? 

Look at teams like Buffalo, who pick high for many years with no hardware to show for it or Edmonton and all of their #1 overalls.

I happen to want to see a Cup in my life time too, I just don't follow the same logic you do in how to get there.

By no means should we be panicking but I would say that the latest on EP is not a promising development for the team.  Hopefully we start playing like a playoff team early into the year because we may have another BoHo situation (albiet with RFA protection) on our hands if we start off poorly.

3 minutes ago, Diamonds said:

Possibly, but I really don't want to be paying any more 1sts for a while. At least not until the team can prove it's ready to compete.

It would have to be top 10 protected.

Id be comfortable giving up say a 20th pick to have Hughes partner locked in for the next 6 or 7 years.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

15 hours ago, TFerguson said:

That's his right... obviously

But I'm surprised not to have heard more people discuss how this is a clear sign that Petey shouldn't even be considered as captain anymore. If he were the next captain then signing longterm and telling us he's putting the Canucks on his back and going to do everything in his power to make the team a winner is the move. 

This whole... "I'm holding out to see if this team is worth committing too" is his right but shows he's nowhere near the leader this team needs.

.......and haven't we heard this story line before. We got rid of that character. The character of the team is huge and if he does not possess that attribute then I don't want him anywhere near this team anyway. 

If you are thinking of yourself, before your team? Then its time for you to go.

The Sedins should have a chat with Petey about how long it takes to build a winning team, and even then, winning the cup is not guaranteed. 

I love Petey - my signed Petey hat is my fave - but if he puts himself and money before the team then I'm fine with cashing in on a trade. However, I still think he'll sign with us for at least four years. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

14 hours ago, Provost said:

I agree that it “should”… we wasted the Petey and Hughes ELC years which was a window for being competitive.  If you have elite players on cheap contracts it should be a massive advantage in a cap world.  If we had this roster AND another Petey/Hughes calibre duo of prospects ready to join the team it would be a vastly different outlook.

If we aren’t a dramatically improved team this year, and maybe even win a round in the playoffs I don’t see Petterson or Hronek signing long term, at least to reasonable contracts.  If Petey is on a short term arb award instead of a long term deal you pretty much have to trade him.  If you trade him, you should probably trade Hughes and start over.

Of course with this ownership, we would trade them for older, worse players and trade away all our high picks to try to be competitive immediately.

What! Yeah lets trade off a 23 year old phenom , in which we have been looking for for this franchises entire existence, in hopes that we may draft and develop another one down the road? That is beyond ridiculous IMO.

2 hours ago, EdgarM said:

Again you are speculating that these "High end picks and prospects" are a "for sure" and are again going to lead us to the promised land and how does one player make or break you as a Stanley Cup contender? Do the other 20 plus players not matter? 

Look at teams like Buffalo, who pick high for many years with no hardware to show for it or Edmonton and all of their #1 overalls.

I happen to want to see a Cup in my life time too, I just don't follow the same logic you do in how to get there.

I never said any such thing.

Having numerous high end young players and picks is vastly important in a cap world where you need to find contract efficiencies.  That isn’t a position that sane people disagree with.

Our current core of players has resulted in terrible results on the ice year after year despite constantly rejigging the players around them. 

There are few paths to improving that roster in the foreseeable future.  The team is capped out, and will be for years even with significant cap inflation because of raises due to Petterson and Hronek, and the increasing Eriksson dead money.  The team has one of the worst prospect pools in the league despite being really bad for a long time…. There isn’t another Petterson/Hughes duo on the horizon.  We are left with just hoping for something magical or coming out of left field happening.

You also seem to counter your own argument.  “How does one player make or break you?”  Miller is one player…. But swapping him for several futures and allocating his cap space to other roster spots is bad?

If the team is bad this coming season again, or even just fighting to be a fringe playoff team… there isn’t cavalry coming.

Edited by Provost
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

2 hours ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Well we can turbo charge a rebuild if we trade Hughes and EP40.

Not that I want to see that happen, it's just if the team struggles that might be what happens.

If Demko plays as well as he did at the end of last season, he could have a lot of value too.

Then again, if he plays that well, they have a very good chance of winning.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, EdgarM said:

What! Yeah lets trade off a 23 year old phenom , in which we have been looking for for this franchises entire existence, in hopes that we may draft and develop another one down the road? That is beyond ridiculous IMO.

Well he is almost 25, not 23.  He would be 26 right at the start of next season by the time that proposed trade happened.

If the team is bad, and the player won’t sign long term to a reasonable deal… what exactly is your magical answer?  Qualify him, take whatever short term arbitration award and watch him walk for nothing as an unrestricted free agent after the 2024/25 season?  

That is an amazing plan for success!  I mean I guess if you want to submarine the team for an even longer rebuild?

Maybe we give him $15 million to bribe him to stay so that we can’t afford to surround him with a winning roster?

• Upvote 1