The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report/Rumour] Elias Pettersson Contract Talks

35 minutes ago, EdgarM said:

.......and haven't we heard this story line before. We got rid of that character. The character of the team is huge and if he does not possess that attribute then I don't want him anywhere near this team anyway. 

If you are thinking of yourself, before your team? Then its time for you to go.

It’s called business. And in case anyone has forgotten, he has chosen to take this team on his back from a very young age. His trajectory has continuously risen in that time too. That’s leadership and commitment to the crest and the culture, but people too soon to forget that.

His first responsibility is to himself and his career. This isn’t fighting for your country in war. Agents, endorsements, market variables, etc, he has every right to choose his own destiny. It’s absurd of any Nux fan to think he OWES something to you or the team after all he’s already accomplished.

I’m someone who is loyal to a fault and even I can appreciate that. 

Edited by RWJC
  • Cheers 1

40 minutes ago, Provost said:

Well he is almost 25, not 23.  He would be 26 right at the start of next season by the time that proposed trade happened.

If the team is bad, and the player won’t sign long term to a reasonable deal… what exactly is your magical answer?  Qualify him, take whatever short term arbitration award and watch him walk for nothing as an unrestricted free agent after the 2024/25 season?  

That is an amazing plan for success!  I mean I guess if you want to submarine the team for an even longer rebuild?

Maybe we give him $15 million to bribe him to stay so that we can’t afford to surround him with a winning roster?

I’m not opposed to trading anyone. Given the mandate publicly endorsed by mgmt, it would be quite the shakeup to see EP traded and how they utilize the assets to reconstruct/retool/rebuild or whatever anyone wants to call it. 

I just can’t envision them trading him unless things go reallllllly sour. If that is the case though, then put all the cards on the table and let’s move EP, QH and TD and really re-establish a new core and culture. We’ve changed absolutely everything else about this club. It would be a major disappointment but nothing is a certainty in this world and sometimes you just have to make the most out of a bad situation. 

• Upvote 1

Vegas have absolutely no need for Petey, but for fun's sake...

Karlsson + Theodore for Petey?

Obviously Miller becomes 1C, Theodore slots in on our top pairing (he can play R or L) and points-wise and cap-wise it's pretty much a wash but we get a lot older so hopefully get a pick back.

Don't care for any of these trade proposals. Having EP on this team is just so important. If he can't be extended he needs to be traded at some point to make the most of an asset. But man, I would be gutted. I really want this young man to stay. 

• Cheers 2

40 minutes ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

What if Boston come knocking...

McAvoy + Zacha for Petey

If BOS traded for Petey, it would be to remain competitive. Why would they move their consistently Norris contending Dman, whom is likely to be their next captain, in that scenario ...?

11 minutes ago, Canucks Curse said:

Myers bonus paid tomorrow?

trade Saturday ?

I thought Myers bonus was Sep 15?

48 minutes ago, RWJC said:

I’m not opposed to trading anyone. Given the mandate publicly endorsed by mgmt, it would be quite the shakeup to see EP traded and how they utilize the assets to reconstruct/retool/rebuild or whatever anyone wants to call it. 

I just can’t envision them trading him unless things go reallllllly sour. If that is the case though, then put all the cards on the table and let’s move EP, QH and TD and really re-establish a new core and culture. We’ve changed absolutely everything else about this club. It would be a major disappointment but nothing is a certainty in this world and sometimes you just have to make the most out of a bad situation. 

That was the scenario being discussed.  If we are bad again this year and Petterson doesn't want to commit to a reasonably long term deal. (like 4-8 years).

In that case we have few options and all the cards are pretty much on the table as far as what paths forward remain.  It is basically starting over again from scratch.

The plus side is we don't have a lot of long term, unmovable contracts left.  With the cap going up, Miller is easily tradeable and for a decent return.  The younger players would fetch pretty massive hauls with a mix of young blue chip prospects, high picks, and decent but overpaid veterans on short term contracts coming back to make the money work.

I think we are all crossing our fingers that the changes this offseason make a massive difference on the ice and that some young kid just blows the team away in pre-season and earns a spot on the roster displacing a higher paid veteran.  It doesn't seem like it is enough to turn us into a contender, but "maybe" to get into the playoffs and win a few games... enough to make Petey think we have a future.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Provost said:

That was the scenario being discussed.  If we are bad again this year and Petterson doesn't want to commit to a reasonably long term deal. (like 4-8 years).

In that case we have few options and all the cards are pretty much on the table as far as what paths forward remain.  It is basically starting over again from scratch.

The plus side is we don't have a lot of long term, unmovable contracts left.  With the cap going up, Miller is easily tradeable and for a decent return.  The younger players would fetch pretty massive hauls with a mix of young blue chip prospects, high picks, and decent but overpaid veterans on short term contracts coming back to make the money work.

I think we are all crossing our fingers that the changes this offseason make a massive difference on the ice and that some young kid just blows the team away in pre-season and earns a spot on the roster displacing a higher paid veteran.  It doesn't seem like it is enough to turn us into a contender, but "maybe" to get into the playoffs and win a few games... enough to make Petey think we have a future.

Doesn’t Miller have a NTC for the first 5 years of his contract?

• Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

What if Boston come knocking...

McAvoy + Zacha for Petey

Not even close man... just looking at Petterson last year and he looked like the season that the Sedins went from baby fat kids to grown men with some strength behind them.

He broke out because his body is maturing and he is getting bigger and stronger to go along with his elite skills.  I have no expectation that he is going to regress and he has been picked by pundits outside the market to be a top 5 player in the league this year.  A 100+ point top line centre with elite defensive ability... he would be the most sought after trade piece in a long time.  That while being young and on a currently team friendly contract would make him worth an absolute haul.

Boston would want to make a trade that keeps them competitive.  They won't want to move a key current roster piece like McAvoy... it would be more like most of their top prospects and 1st round picks for a few years (they already have one traded away in '24 or '25).