The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Is There Anything We Can Do to Bring About a Change in Ownership?

Rate this topic

TFerguson

25 minutes ago, Bobby James said:

Speaking of ownership I heard today that Ryan Reynolds is prepping an offer to buy the Sens. 

Not gonna lie since he is a BC boy I would have liked to see him try for Vancouver instead even if more expensive. 

https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/article/report-ryan-reynolds-remington-group-planning-1b-bid-for-senators/ 

Why would the current owners sell though?

• Cheers 1

I've said it for years, if you financially support the team while they are in the basement, there is no incentive for ownership to improve the team. Take a look at many of the winning teams in the NHL (Pittsburgh and Chicago come to mine), they tend to be teams that go bankrupt or border on bankruptcy if they don't win championships regularly. This is a league wide problem, the very structure of the league itself is built to favor teams in certain locations (salary cap not taking income tax into account) to build fan bases and generate extra revenue in non-traditional market or weaker markets, whereas Canadian markets are permanent cash cows regardless of persistent failure and mediocrity.

15 hours ago, Bobby James said:

Speaking of ownership I heard today that Ryan Reynolds is prepping an offer to buy the Sens. 

Not gonna lie since he is a BC boy I would have liked to see him try for Vancouver instead even if more expensive. 

https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/article/report-ryan-reynolds-remington-group-planning-1b-bid-for-senators/ 

one team is for sale, the other isn't. 

• Upvote 1
  • There it is 1

Change of ownership? What an incredibly stupid idea. Yeah, maybe we can get a good owner, like a Melnyk, who will take the team to another city and turn it into a salary floor team. NO, the grass is NOT always greener elsewhere, it only looks that way to the extremely shortsighted.

• Like 4

On 4/27/2023 at 10:46 AM, erkayloomeh said:

Is he really that bad of an owner ? 

On 4/27/2023 at 1:19 PM, BureBurrito said:

you ask that after the last decade of futility, mismanagement and meddling?:huh:

On 4/27/2023 at 1:21 PM, stawns said:

Imagine, a boss who wants input on the business he puts hundreds of millions of dollars into.  The gall of some people

Especially when he's one of the foremost "Guru's" and a lifelong experienced expert in the field of hockey and not some shady Leaky Condo Construction Boss!    :sadno:

Edited by RU SERIOUS

1 hour ago, Jack Gordon said:

Stop buying tickets.

Then watch the team move to Houston. They own the building too, I'm pretty sure that would be a windfall for moving the team.

Worse yet. They could own Rogers Arena still and move the team. And if Vancouver gets a new team, they can still rent the building to the new owners.

Unless the Aqua's businesses fail and forces him to sell, I doubt you're going to see a change in ownership.

On 4/27/2023 at 1:46 PM, Baggins said:

Everybody seemed to love him when the team was winning. You know, when he spent money without a second thought. Like upgrading the workout and dressing rooms, a chamber to speed up injury recovery, a sports psycologist, sleep, doctor, nutritionist. Burying one way contracts in the minors, buying out contracts, and even green lighting cap circumvention (Luongo) that put team salary above the cap limit. He still seems to spend money without a thought. Spending to the cap, buyouts, sending one way contracts to the AHL. That gets ignored and he's called cheap for wanting to make the playoffs. I don't think he "interferes" nearly as much as some like to claim. The real issue is he didn't green light what some fans wanted - a full on tanking of the team. When a team isn't winning fans need somebody to point fingers at.

Wish I could upvote this 10x more.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Then watch the team move to Houston. They own the building too, I'm pretty sure that would be a windfall for moving the team.

Worse yet. They could own Rogers Arena still and move the team. And if Vancouver gets a new team, they can still rent the building to the new owners.

Unless the Aqua's businesses fail and forces him to sell, I doubt you're going to see a change in ownership.

I can't think of any other scenario in which Mr Aquilini sells the team Ghosts.

As far as him moving the team to another city, he needs the approval of Gary and the board of governors to do that and I can't imagine that ever happening.

9 minutes ago, Jack Gordon said:

I can't think of any other scenario in which Mr Aquilini sells the team Ghosts.

As far as him moving the team to another city, he needs the approval of Gary and the board of governors to do that and I can't imagine that ever happening.

I suppose, if CSIS got word that Aqua was really a Russian Oligarch, maybe the Province could seize the team and rink as an asset. And force him to sell it to the Province and City at "fair market value"?

• Haha 1

He’s not selling and he’s never rebuilding. It is what it is. I love the players of this team but hate his stubborn vision and standard of the club. At the end of the day it doesn’t matter what fans like myself want, it’s he’s team.

Edited by EP Phone Home
  • Cheers 1

On 5/1/2023 at 10:02 AM, WeneedLumme said:

Change of ownership? What an incredibly stupid idea. Yeah, maybe we can get a good owner, like a Melnyk, who will take the team to another city and turn it into a salary floor team. NO, the grass is NOT always greener elsewhere, it only looks that way to the extremely shortsighted.

Melnyk saved the Senators from being moved to another city so that's an odd example to use. Also this isn't the 90s anymore, it makes zero fiscal sense for the NHL to move a longstanding brand in an established market to another city. The reason why relocation was even a scare in the 90s was because of the Canadian dollar and the league's financial model at the time. Those concerns are irrelevant now, there is a salary cap in place and unless the Canadian economy collapses the dollar isn't going to be a concern. The NHL board of governors would have to vote to approve a relocation, no matter how badly an owner wanted a move. There would be 15 teams that would be on the chopping block before the league decides to move the Canucks. The "stupid idea" is giving any credence to the possibility of relocation and pretending as if the Aquilinis are the ones keeping it from happening. 

• Cheers 1

On 5/1/2023 at 7:02 AM, WeneedLumme said:

100% accurate! Great perspective! 

On 4/28/2023 at 1:35 AM, Elias Pettersson said:

Surrey would be my bet.  Land is alot cheaper out there.  Aquilini and the city could buy 5 acres of land and redevelop it with a new rink, new practice facility and lots of commercial and residential properties as well.  Plus, they would only be like 20 minutes from Abbotsford, so even closer to the farm team.  Parking would be so much easier as well.  

If it's close to a skytrain station that would cool with me lol.

On 5/1/2023 at 7:02 AM, WeneedLumme said:

I dunno then I wouldn't even have the option of blowing 10k a year on watching a bad team with an owner that seems to only look at me as a cash cow and can't stop meddling with the tema.

12 hours ago, Toews said:

Melnyk saved the Senators from being moved to another city so that's an odd example to use. Also this isn't the 90s anymore, it makes zero fiscal sense for the NHL to move a longstanding brand in an established market to another city. The reason why relocation was even a scare in the 90s was because of the Canadian dollar and the league's financial model at the time. Those concerns are irrelevant now, there is a salary cap in place and unless the Canadian economy collapses the dollar isn't going to be a concern. The NHL board of governors would have to vote to approve a relocation, no matter how badly an owner wanted a move. There would be 15 teams that would be on the chopping block before the league decides to move the Canucks. The "stupid idea" is giving any credence to the possibility of relocation and pretending as if the Aquilinis are the ones keeping it from happening. 

Uhhh see inflation thread. The Canadian dollar HAS been falling and having a low dollar might be a strategy of the Federal Government and the Bank of Canada. Like for real. It's like the least painful (ish) option and it's not like everything they are DOING doesn't contribute to that strategy!

Now moving a team from the west where there aren't enough teams, and the backlash, and what not might save a move. But the Canadian dollar? Don't bank on that!