The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Is There Anything We Can Do to Bring About a Change in Ownership?

Rate this topic

TFerguson

10 hours ago, nuckin_futz said:

Sure there is. You could offer Aquaman $2 Billion US dollars for the team. That should get it done.

According to google the Vancouver Canucks are values as $1.01 Billion

On a side note the Canucks were values at $300 Million and went up to $700 Million once Gillis got fired and Benning took over.

No wonder Aquilini kept Benning for so long :frantic:

Apparently he bought the team for a quarter of a billion. So I think offering $1.5 Billion is something he would accept 

Edited by iinatcc

10 hours ago, TFerguson said:

It was painful watching Boston win in 2011 but the fact that they've been contending basically every year since then has been salt in the wound.

Not really true:

Since 2011:

343076663_751857253150390_54478078650284

Remember....this fanbase doesn't consider "getting in" or losing in the first couple of rounds contending.

Be careful what you wish for...new owners could mean new city. 

Also, for this part:

a new ownership group coming in with a comprehensive and intelligent plan for turning things around including investing in a FULL renovation of the arena, a practice facility, and a vision for building a contender through drafting and development.

A full reno of the arena and a new practice facility will turn things around?

Also....owners hire people to do the job of building a contender through drafting and development. And I feel that our impatience as fans (some of whom jump ship) is showing. They ARE making changes to management and coaching staff...let's see how that plays out. 

"Since 2011" there have been different personnel in place and you can't pin past failures on this group (entirely).

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

7 hours ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

You know ... I grew up in a city without an NHL team. It really sucked. When I moved to Vancouver, that same year I got swept up in the 94 run to the Cup and was like, wow, THIS is what it's like to live in an NHL city. It was magical.

Not long after that, I also remember what it was like to experience the down years and the very REAL reality that ownership wanted to sell the team and the very REAL possibility that the team could be moved. It was a horrible thought at the time and still is to me now.

Thankfully the team didn't move after a change in ownership and fans are fortunate to still have an NHL team here. It would have been really tough watching a city ... say Memphis ... going on that 2011 run rather than Vancouver. That would have been equally as tough as watching the Bruins win like they did. 

Sorry, but I'll take this ownership and their approach, also their commitment to the team, than having to face the team leaving town and watching the "moved" team hoist the Cup. Imagine how Nordiques fans felt watching the Avalanche the year after they moved.

Be careful what you wish for. 

We do finally have a bright, effective management and coaching staff with a pedigree of winning.

Is there anything we can do to stop these posts?

Thank you. +10

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, spook007 said:

Thank you. +10

Thanks for quoting that....hadn't read that post/the thread.

Funny someone else got the "be careful what you wish for"...yep. It isn't a given that everything will just be awesome...it's a very real risk. Stuff's expensive here and new owners may not find any attachment to Vancouver.

+10 is right!

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • There it is 1

38 minutes ago, iinatcc said:

According to google the Vancouver Canucks are values as $1.01 Billion

On a side note the Canucks were values at $300 Million and went up to $700 Million once Gillis got fired and Benning took over.

No wonder Aquilini kept Benning for so long :frantic:

Apparently he bought the team for a quarter of a billion. So I think offering $1.5 Billion is something he would accept 

The club’s value went up the most in the league during the Gillis era. It went up during Benning too, but less than all the other teams. Gillis was great at following the owner’s directions and we had awesome teams. So the club value skyrocketed. Then Benning tried but the core was old and stale. So he really didn’t have any on ice success. So the value of the club, compared to the other teams, went down.  Now we have a young core (thanks to Benning) and smart management, much like Gillis, in place. The club will do great again on the ice and in their overall value. 

7 hours ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

You know ... I grew up in a city without an NHL team. It really sucked. When I moved to Vancouver, that same year I got swept up in the 94 run to the Cup and was like, wow, THIS is what it's like to live in an NHL city. It was magical.

Not long after that, I also remember what it was like to experience the down years and the very REAL reality that ownership wanted to sell the team and the very REAL possibility that the team could be moved. It was a horrible thought at the time and still is to me now.

Thankfully the team didn't move after a change in ownership and fans are fortunate to still have an NHL team here. It would have been really tough watching a city ... say Memphis ... going on that 2011 run rather than Vancouver. That would have been equally as tough as watching the Bruins win like they did. 

Sorry, but I'll take this ownership and their approach, also their commitment to the team, than having to face the team leaving town and watching the "moved" team hoist the Cup. Imagine how Nordiques fans felt watching the Avalanche the year after they moved.

Be careful what you wish for. 

We do finally have a bright, effective management and coaching staff with a pedigree of winning.

Is there anything we can do to stop these posts?

The beef about ownership is a narrow perspective IMO. Ownership has unfailingly shown a willingness to spend money on this franchise. Been doing it for decades now. I have seen all the ownership groups since '70. The Aquilini family are hands down the best. I am sure they have learnt a lot during their tenure. I am sure they have grown from fans to experienced owners. Maybe some decisions they wish they could do over but that comes with any business. 

If it is fair to criticize ownership then the same can be said of the fans. The lack of hockey knowledge is huge. I might suggest that this is changing but slowly. The demand for immediate change is unrealistic and undermines the long term prospects. My classic example is the sad history of Jake Virtanen and Jared McCann. Two teenagers who were rushed into the league based on fan demand and management appeasement of that demand. The new management appears to have a long term plan for success and deserve fan support unless they make bad decisions. To date they appear to be on a steady course. 

• Like 3

11 hours ago, nuckin_futz said:

Should we pass the collection plate? I'm in for a G.

The reality is if every user here chipped in a million dollars each we still wouldn't have enough. With that being said, I've got like $100 I can chip in.

Nba Playoffs GIF by Milwaukee Bucks

Edited by 250Integra

Diabolical Gary plan.

- Finds a buyer for Vancouver.

- Team moves to Houston.

- New round of expansion to 38 teams with Vancouver and Atlanta

- New owners in Vancouver have to pay $1.5 billion expansion fee.

- Bettman changes the expansion draft rules so we get the dregs of the league over again.

• Cheers 1
  • Tanks a lot 1

Easy peasy... we just need to convince half the population of BC to all chip in about $600.  We would then be able to raise about $1,500,000,000 to make a legitimate offer to buy the Canucks.  Our board would consist of 2,500,000 people, so decisions might take a bit longer.  We'd need to rent out gyms and churches across the province to vote on a contract extension for Petey and Hronek this summer.  I'll make some calls.

• Haha 2
  • Vintage 1

Ok... I thought about it... we can do this!

We have 99,397 members on here.  If we all chip in $15,091, we'd have the $1,500,000,000 we need!

Alternatively, if we just get the active 5,563 members to chip in $269,638.68, we can also hit the $1,500,000,000!

WHAT SAY YOU!?!

Could contain: Page, Text, File

49 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Ok... I thought about it... we can do this!

We have 99,397 members on here.  If we all chip in $15,091, we'd have the $1,500,000,000 we need!

Alternatively, if we just get the active 5,563 members to chip in $269,638.68, we can also hit the $1,500,000,000!

WHAT SAY YOU!?!

Could contain: Page, Text, File

Based on the Proposal threads I see, I'm not so sure the CDC crew owning the team would yield much different results than we have now. 

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 2