The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Is There Anything We Can Do to Bring About a Change in Ownership?

Rate this topic

TFerguson

16 minutes ago, TFerguson said:

In my opinion we are one of the most irrelevant teams in the NHL primarily because we've seemed to lack intelligence when it comes to strategically building back after 2011. It was painful watching Boston win in 2011 but the fact that they've been contending basically every year since then has been salt in the wound. We're among the bottom of the league when it comes to playoff appearances in the last 8 years (not counting the bubble illusion) and somehow we've managed to become one of the most cap tight and contract inefficient teams at the same time!

I think our current management groups is the brightest we've had in a while and I'm rooting for them. But it's ownership and ownership alone that's responsible for the fact that our management teams have been consistently tasked with making the playoffs rather than being given the chance to build it back (case in point, Trevor Linden). It's also ownership that is responsible for us being the last team in the NHL (with the news this week on Calgary) to not have a practice facility. Our ownership has made news consistently over the years for shady business practices and this year domestic abuse allegations took this to a new level (I was hoping for the NHL to step in at that point...but apparently that's not embarrassing enough).

I can't imagine the Aquilini's selling the Canucks (which I think it's more out of a love for real-estate than the team). But I also can't imagine something that would invigorate this market more than a new ownership group coming in with a comprehensive and intelligent plan for turning things around including investing in a FULL renovation of the arena, a practice facility, and a vision for building a contender through drafting and development. 

Some people I know are jumping ship on the Canucks right not but I'm all in as a fan of this team. I just feel like it's the ownership above all else that gives me a sense of hopelessness for the future...

So is there anything we can do to force/pressure for a change in ownership (besides abandoning the team altogether)?

Thanks, I REALLY needed that laugh!

Pop Tv Laughing GIF by Schitt's Creek

Man Slapping Couch Laughing GIF

Kathy Bates Lol GIF by Team Coco

John Goodman Lol GIF by Roseanne

Captain America Lol GIF by mtv

Confused Little Girl GIF

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 2

29 minutes ago, TFerguson said:

In my opinion we are one of the most irrelevant teams in the NHL primarily because we've seemed to lack intelligence when it comes to strategically building back after 2011. It was painful watching Boston win in 2011 but the fact that they've been contending basically every year since then has been salt in the wound. We're among the bottom of the league when it comes to playoff appearances in the last 8 years (not counting the bubble illusion) and somehow we've managed to become one of the most cap tight and contract inefficient teams at the same time!

I think our current management groups is the brightest we've had in a while and I'm rooting for them. But it's ownership and ownership alone that's responsible for the fact that our management teams have been consistently tasked with making the playoffs rather than being given the chance to build it back (case in point, Trevor Linden). It's also ownership that is responsible for us being the last team in the NHL (with the news this week on Calgary) to not have a practice facility. Our ownership has made news consistently over the years for shady business practices and this year domestic abuse allegations took this to a new level (I was hoping for the NHL to step in at that point...but apparently that's not embarrassing enough).

I can't imagine the Aquilini's selling the Canucks (which I think it's more out of a love for real-estate than the team). But I also can't imagine something that would invigorate this market more than a new ownership group coming in with a comprehensive and intelligent plan for turning things around including investing in a FULL renovation of the arena, a practice facility, and a vision for building a contender through drafting and development. 

Some people I know are jumping ship on the Canucks right not but I'm all in as a fan of this team. I just feel like it's the ownership above all else that gives me a sense of hopelessness for the future...

So is there anything we can do to force/pressure for a change in ownership (besides abandoning the team altogether)?

Get Aqualini REALLY drunk and get some pictures of him with some sheep and possibly some midg....errrr....vertically challenged people, and mail them to Bettman.

Other than that, see my earlier post.

Money talks. If you really want to show them that you aren't okay with their ownership. Stop buying merch. Stop going to games. Stop watching games.

Can be very hard if you're dedicated to the team though.

Outside of that, your best bet is some sort of pitchforks social media scandal (such as the rumours of abuse).

• Vintage 1

41 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

Money talks. If you really want to show them that you aren't okay with their ownership. Stop buying merch. Stop going to games. Stop watching games.

Can be very hard if you're dedicated to the team though.

Outside of that, your best bet is some sort of pitchforks social media scandal (such as the rumours of abuse).

I know money talks but it's too bad the whole franchise would have to suffer for us to send a message

2 hours ago, TFerguson said:

There is a possible solution but that would take a concerted effort by Canucks nation and the people of BC to demonstrate, hang banners, shame him and protest loudly - en masse - to rid this team of Aqua-lini. To get this to happen we'd need even more terrible years of failure - enough to provoke and pi$$-off even the most patient & reasonable fans to Rise-up and yell "Enough is Enough" and disgrace Aqua-lini publicly by the thousands - as an incompetent idiot that has meddled and mismanaged this team into the sewer. 

We all know he is the root of all Canucks problems so until he goes - nothing will ever change.

• Vintage 1

If you want Aquilini to sell the team wouldn't you need to find a buyer?  If you are looking at buying the Canucks that's gonna be close to a billion right there.  The new owner can't renovate the building because it is owned by Aquilini.  If the new owner wants to buy the building then they also have to buy all the land that the building is sitting on.  That's easily another $1.5 billion.  Then you will need another $500 million for a full renovation of Rogers Arena.

My math tells me that is $3 billion that you would need to offer Aquilini at minimum for him to walk away from the team, the building and all of the expensive downtown Vancouver land that the building is sitting on.  Do you know anyone with $3 billion?  If not, then probably best to stay away from these discussions...

Edited by Elias Pettersson
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2