The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Draft and Off Season Talk

Rate this topic

Odd.

1 hour ago, awalk said:

I'm with you on the logic behind it. But are the owners in on it? If not, wouldn't at least some of them pay for some secret investigation? A lot of money on the line... you'd think unless all 30 were in on it, something would have been exposed...

It's hilariously simple minded to think one owner secretly switched the results and all of the other 100's and thousands of seriously invested stakeholders have no clue and/or just allow this to happen. It's equally hilarious to think that all of these shareholders would sacrifice the very essence of the sport itself just to hoodwink the entire public when they are wildly successful as it is without some super stupid conspiracy plot to maybe sell a couple extra jerseys. The thing these nut jobs don't realize is that just having Bedard play anywhere in the NHL is going to mean money for everyone, regardless of where he plays. Hockey doesn't only make money in the original 6 cities. They don't need some foolhardy conspiracy theory, they are already making insane money off of the public.

It's pathetic that a bunch of whiny fans have to start clutching at straws and paint a ridiculously stupid scenario because they're upset with the condition of their own team. It's just plain ignorance on so many levels.

Edited by Gawdzukes
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

38 minutes ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Interesting to hear what Button thinks, he lives and breathes junior hockey. He's been so high on ASP for a long time and the recent Juniors tournie just bumped that up a lot. To hear he thinks he's a top-5 player in the draft is pretty nuts but I would say top-6 or 7 for sure. Obviously high on Reinbacher but interesting to see that he thinks Willander is in that same level. He was gushing over him in the U18 tournament and to be fair Willander ran the show a lot of the time. I think Lindstein deserves a special mention but maybe he drops down to the Simashev category.

100% agree with him that we have to focus on a defenceman. Unless there's some miracle Dvorsky/Leonard/Benson floating around 11OA, we have to take a defenceman and even then, I'd have a hard think about it. Button knows our team is solid up front, solid in net and he said it himself - trash on defence - and the best way to fix that is through the draft, and we have a glorious chance at it now. Interesting to see how much stock Allvin puts into these external guys but they've been around the sport a long, long time. 

I have a feeling that both Reinbacher and Sandin Pelikka will be picked top 10 and won't be there when the Canucks pick. It's just so bloody hard to find good RHD that I think these guys both go higher than projected.

14 hours ago, Master Mind said:

He's old enough to recognize the atrocities that franchise has committed.

If he's ok with signing there when every other team would love to have him, he's spineless.

He was 4 years old when this happened and he is still a minor. It was on the NHL to handle this and hand out the punishment. 
Calling him spineless speaks more about your character than his.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • RoughGame 1

6 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

It's hilariously simple minded to think one owner secretly switched the results and all of the other 100's and thousands of seriously invested stakeholders have no clue and/or just allow this to happen. It's equally hilarious to think that all of these shareholders would sacrifice the very essence of the sport itself just to hoodwink the entire public when they are wildly successful as it is without some super stupid conspiracy plot to maybe sell a couple extra jerseys. The thing these nut jobs don't realize is that just having Bedard play anywhere in the NHL is going to mean money for everyone, regardless of where he plays. Hockey doesn't only make money in the original 6 cities. They don't need some foolhardy conspiracy theory, they are already making insane money of of the public.

It's pathetic that a bunch of whiny fans have to start clutching at straws and paint a ridiculously stupid scenario because they're upset with the condition of their own team. It's just plain ignorance on so many levels.

Honestly, I'm pretty shocked at the number of people here who think this is some kind of conspiracy. It's like the right-wing nutjobs in the US thinking the last election was rigged. I thought we were better than that!

• Cheers 3
  • Upvote 1

37 minutes ago, mll said:

After Seravalli's recap of the draft, here's Whyno who was also in the room during the draft. 

But hey, a bunchy of whiny kids on the internet know better. :lol: Just a shortcut to thinking. Lazy and ignorant people complaining. :lol:

15 minutes ago, 250Integra said:

Tanking doesn't even guarantee the 1st overall pick. Sure it gives you a higher chance but we've seen in the past where other teams jump up many spots to win 1st overall. It just wasn't meant to be right now. Hopefully he'll want to play with the Canucks at some point in his career.

Nope 

I just wanted a better shot at a top 5.

11 minutes ago, CBH1926 said:

He was 4 years old when this happened and he is still a minor. It was on the NHL to handle this and hand out the punishment. 

I think he has a very special assignment I’m sure he’s one of those just being realistic fans that love to bash us as a whole.

• Cheers 1

10 minutes ago, CBH1926 said:

Questioning my character for wanting people to stand up to an organization that covered up horrific crimes...

Bedard has a chance to do something good. He surely won't, but he can.

• RoughGame 1

16 minutes ago, MaxVerstappen33 said:

He was from cow country BC. Where a lot of them like Calgary 

Sicamous BC may have cows but it’s known more of a resort/ house boat retreat and doesn’t  resemble cALgARy at allth?id=OIP.e8Pwpi9Csrw0lWkVWfpacwHaE8&pidll 

Edited by chon derry
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

The best we can hope for now is that Bedard ends up being atrocious defensively like McDavid. He's going to drop a PPG in his first year and then 100pts onwards, probably 150+ at some point like McDavid. He's small but pretty solid and throws his body around at times, but let's just hope that like McDavid, he's always a bit sloppy defensively. If he ends up being defensively capable like Crosby then it's all over, but if he's caught cheating or lacking back-checking then honestly I'd rather have Petey... 

Your top center has to be able to defend the other team's top line, then the out-scoring comes next. Just look at what's happening in the playoffs right now. Even peak McDavid and Draisaitl are down in a series they should be cruising in, and the same can be said of Matthews and Marner.

I don’t think Bedard is getting 150 points playing in Chicago. Even McDavid needed Draisaitl to get to 100 points in his second year. 

I can see Bedard at a PPG for the next couple of years until Chicago gets more talent. And if they don’t he may be stuck in a really bad situation. They don’t even have any legit puck movers on the back end. 

Honestly, Chicago is the worst spot for him right now. They don’t even have any NHL players. Unless they spend big in free agency Bedard is going to be playing by himself for awhile. 

• Cheers 2

12 minutes ago, Strawbone said:

I have a feeling that both Reinbacher and Sandin Pelikka will be picked top 10 and won't be there when the Canucks pick. It's just so bloody hard to find good RHD that I think these guys both go higher than projected.

Yeah I'm also worried that both Reinbacher and ASP will be gone. Especially since I'm starting to agree with Button that ASP may even a top 5 pick in a redraft if his defence is as good as it seems to be. Love Reinbacher too, would be ecstatic with either.

8 minutes ago, Strawbone said:

Honestly, I'm pretty shocked at the number of people here who think this is some kind of conspiracy. It's like the right-wing nutjobs in the US thinking the last election was rigged. I thought we were better than that!

Yeah me too. It's quite shocking the number of usually intelligent people who get caught up in silliness like this. At least in the US election there was actually something to cheat for. In the NHL it's just a stupid idea with a strong possibility it would ruin the entire league. A lot of people are unsatisfied with their lot in life and have to make up stuff like this in order to feel better about themselves. It's pretty sad really.

Honestly all of these people that whine about everything like the refs being corrupt and fixing the draft are quite perplexing. Why on earth would you even watch the sport and be here making a comment if you felt that way? Talk about self-defeatist.

• Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, Pure961089 said:

Just took a look at Tankathon's mock draft. Very interesting to see all the options the Canucks would have if it went this way. 

Could contain: Page, Text, Symbol

zero chance they pass on Reinbacher and ASP

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Master Mind said:

Questioning my character for wanting people to stand up to an organization that covered up horrific crimes...

Bedard has a chance to do something good. He surely won't, but he can.

They should have been penalized 3 first round picks. 

• Cheers 1

NHL Top 16 Mock Draft: What happens after the Blackhawks pick Connor Bedard?

https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/article/nhl-top-16-mock-draft-what-happens-after-the-blackhawks-pick-connor-bedard/

11. Vancouver: Axel Sandin-Pellikka Skelleftea Jr. (Sweden): Neat and tidy in his own zone with the smarts to add second layer offence. An effective two-way player who can quarterback a power play as added value. The Canucks need to improve their defence prospect pool and Sandin-Pellikka is a great add.  

Draft Day Strategy: Part of me is staring at the reality that the Canucks don’t have a second-round pick in this draft. It’s tempting to consider moving down and attempting to acquire another selection, but Sandin-Pellikka carries more value than some other names below him on this list. The Canucks have to envision Quinn Hughes and Sandin-Pellikka sharing the puck on the power-play in time, or each of them quarterbacking their own units. I wouldn’t overthink things. I would make the pick. 

• Vintage 1

3 minutes ago, The Arrogant Worms said:

NHL Top 16 Mock Draft: What happens after the Blackhawks pick Connor Bedard?

https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/article/nhl-top-16-mock-draft-what-happens-after-the-blackhawks-pick-connor-bedard/

11. Vancouver: Axel Sandin-Pellikka Skelleftea Jr. (Sweden): Neat and tidy in his own zone with the smarts to add second layer offence. An effective two-way player who can quarterback a power play as added value. The Canucks need to improve their defence prospect pool and Sandin-Pellikka is a great add.  

Draft Day Strategy: Part of me is staring at the reality that the Canucks don’t have a second-round pick in this draft. It’s tempting to consider moving down and attempting to acquire another selection, but Sandin-Pellikka carries more value than some other names below him on this list. The Canucks have to envision Quinn Hughes and Sandin-Pellikka sharing the puck on the power-play in time, or each of them quarterbacking their own units. I wouldn’t overthink things. I would make the pick. 

I swear everyone doing mock draft just slot in Swedes to our picks cause of Allvin being Swedish. 

Then again Allvin didn't really help his case in his first two picks last year. 

• Cheers 1

21 minutes ago, Pure961089 said:

Just took a look at Tankathon's mock draft. Very interesting to see all the options the Canucks would have if it went this way. 

Could contain: Page, Text, Symbol

Choice between Danielson, Reinbacher, Wood, and ASP?!? 

That would be amazing.