The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Draft and Off Season Talk

Rate this topic

Odd.

42 minutes ago, 24K PureCool said:

It takes the 11th just to move one of them per Seravalli. 

Lol, people are so delusional when it comes to that. Every year they say we can just do this that and that and move these guys and bang cap space. And every year our shite contracts are impossible to move and we are done in by lack of cap space. Been going on 5 years or more now and will continue this year meanwhile all those people will remain horrible at simple math and accepting reality. :frantic:

• Cheers 1

18 hours ago, ilduce39 said:

I hate complaining about wins - especially since Demko and Tocchet are so important to next season - but sure would have been nice to be drafting around 7-8 instead of 11.  

Ah well.  Maybe something good will fall.  Weird things always happen at the draft.

I'm still unapologetic in my having wanted us to lose down the stretch, I'm not overly thrilled about picking at 11 but it is what it is. 

We'll get a good player, I just wish we were drafting closer to the top 5. All it'd take is one team going off the board or taking someone earlier than expected and we get a top 10 rated player. I reckon one or two of the top D available will go before our pick, should be a good crop of center's available, hopefully we pick one. 

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, stawns said:

To add to that, I don't think people were "hoping" for wins, just happy when they did win.  I don't understand the point of being upset.......we have zero control over the outcome of games, do why not just enjoy the success when it happens?

That's not success though, that's the opposite. Why applaud 22nd place?

5 minutes ago, stawns said:

why wouldn't you cheer for your team?  We have zero control as fans, so why wouldn't we enjoy the wins when we have no impact on the outcome.  

I think people should have the right to cheer for and whatever they want. Even if it doesn't agree with or make sense to you. I've been cheering for this team since the 70's and this last stretch has just been too much for me personally. I didn't agree with most of the things going on the last 5 years so for myself a good draft pick was the only thing I felt was worth my effort. It's just a game after all and my cheering for or against did nothing to change the Canucks fortunes. Having said that I also realize that bottom 5 was not really possible and we may still get the same player at 11 as we would have at 8, so I'm not distraught or anything but I definitely didn't fell like cheering on this crap team and their crap season either.

• elephant 1

28 minutes ago, Pure961089 said:

Everyone has the Canucks picking ASP, even Button. But I can't see them passing on Benson if given the opportunity.  Allvin and staff have shown they have a real eye for talent.  Go through the list of acquisitions and you'll find most of them panned out well. And the one that haven't yet like Kravstov were acquired through no risk trades.  I have confidence they will pick the player with the most overall talent. But I digress, here's Button's list if you haven't seen it yet. 

Could contain: Page, Text, Letter

Benson isn't Swedish. Simple as that. 

Bias already built in that a Swedish GM will only draft Swedish player high when given the chance. 

1 hour ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Garland and Beau have trade value. Not sure if Boeser does at his cap hit.

Brace yourselves on either retaining (hopefully not) or just taking less back (late 2nd rounders? 3rd rounders?)

That's almost $9 Million right there.

Brock at $2.6 retained for a late 2nd?

Why do you think they have trade value?

Every single article/rumour/insider has said there are no takers, and teams want assets back to take contracts.

You sure as f**k are not getting a 2nd/3rd rounder back for one of those wingers.

I don't think you understand the state of teams around the league.

Everyone is capped out, and the teams with cap space won't be taking on contracts for free, let alone paying for them.

This isn't NHL23.

• Cheers 2

For me the frustration comes from seeing that we have some really good pieces but clearly need another core piece or 2 to really be a cup competitive team as opposed to a w.c. contender dependent on “anything can happen.”

I didn’t cheer for losses I cheered for management to push us in a direction towards cup contention they decided on expediency over building. That is why so many are so frustrated. 
I always expect the team to put in best effort and try to win every game. Rebuilding is something done at the management level, not on ice. 
I think our management chose the wrong path, the same Benning chose but are doing it somewhat better than Benning. So far that is how I see management which says to me it is ownership saying most important thing is playoff contention ASAP even if for only 4 games. Playoff hunts sell tickets too. 
People need to stop legislating fandom.  

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Brace yourselves on either retaining (hopefully not) or just taking less back (late 2nd rounders? 3rd rounders?)

I know we gave up a very high pick to get Garland but if we could get a second for him he would be gone. There may be a market but that market would probably be a mostly cap neutral market. Cap in for cap out.
Beau I am not sure he has that much of a market but may get a 3rd because only one year left.

A Winnipeg or Ottawa sometimes gets desperate for players so sometimes you can find a home for guys like this with term. 

Edited by DrJockitch
  • Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, MattWN. said:

Why do you think they have trade value?

Every single article/rumour/insider has said there are no takers, and teams want assets back to take contracts.

You sure as f**k are not getting a 2nd/3rd rounder back for one of those wingers.

I don't think you understand the state of teams around the league.

Everyone is capped out, and the teams with cap space won't be taking on contracts for free, let alone paying for them.

This isn't NHL23.

Ok 7th rounders then.

Look at Cap Friendly there are teams that are going to have cap space. And not every 33 or 35 year old UFA will re-sign.

And yes, you might have to retain. I'm not suggesting trading OEL or anything.

It might require a lot of surgery. But the team as it stands is already above next years cap.

They are going to have to do something.

There is attrition every year.

40 minutes ago, 24K PureCool said:

Benson isn't Swedish. Simple as that. 

Bias already built in that a Swedish GM will only draft Swedish player high when given the chance. 

nope, they need C and D, not W's

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, stawns said:

We needed C and D last year as bad as we do this year and Allvin still took Lekkerimaki even though there were both C and D options available on the board.  At this point, the only W I'd be ok with taking would be Michkov. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

I'm hearing from people like Serivelli that Garland and Beau have zero trade value. And to move them it will take Canucks draft picks. Not the other way around,  I find the rest of the NHL undervalue Canucks players simply for being Canucks.   It's kinda sad. And they know Allvin is between a rock and a hard place.  Were going to end up doing something like Vegas did.  Literally gave away Patcherety to get under the cap.  All the Myers money is going to Hronek, where's the money for Pettersson?  Cap mismanagement could be Allvin's downfall. 

• Cheers 2

20 minutes ago, Pure961089 said:

I'm hearing from people like Serivelli that Garland and Beau have zero trade value. And to move them it will take Canucks draft picks. Not the other way around,  I find the rest of the NHL undervalue Canucks players simply for being Canucks.   It's kinda sad. And they know Allvin is between a rock and a hard place.  Were going to end up doing something like Vegas did.  Literally gave away Patcherety to get under the cap.  All the Myers money is going to Hronek, where's the money for Pettersson?  Cap mismanagement could be Allvin's downfall. 

He's not the one that painted into a corner. OEL and Myers didn't help that. The Benning Curse lives!

• There it is 1

15 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

He's not the one that painted into a corner. OEL and Myers didn't help that. The Benning Curse lives!

Our owner can wash away with the Benning stain this summer. 
Buyout OEL.

Trade Garland for simply cap room.

Trade Myers after his bonus.

These move will cost our owner big money but clear a lot of cap. 

5 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Our owner can wash away with the Benning stain this summer. 
Buyout OEL.

Trade Garland for simply cap room.

Trade Myers after his bonus.

These move will cost our owner big money but clear a lot of cap. 

Oh sure, that owner is known for doing the right things...

:mellow:

• There it is 2

On 5/7/2023 at 9:23 PM, chon derry said:

th?id=OIP.iFWKJbVSPrhr9iBDYcVOXAHaHa&pid

The funny part is the missing appropriate punctuation.  Essentially the two verbs need a comma splice— can be used, and will be used.

Edited by The Colt 45s

3 hours ago, stawns said:

We need top 6 talent from everywhere except maybe right wing.  We have nobody other than Hoglander on the left wing even coming close to making the team.  In the first round we take bpa. Have we not learned from Juolevi?  I like Pellikka but some scouts have compared him to Victor Soderstrom.  Draft special talent first and the rest will fall into place with proper development 

Edited by Pure961089
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

5 hours ago, MJDDawg said:

My biggest fear being set in motion…that a Blackhawks rebuilt core with Bedard will win another Cup before we get our first.  Almost resigned to this now.

I have the same feeling as you but what I expect is for the Blackhawks to get another cup before we even make the playoffs

Lots of good discussion about hockey matters in the last few days here.  Even today, still an uneasy feeling here about the results even if they were not rigged.  Just looking at the recent NHL lottery drafts - Chicago, Montreal, Buffalo NY-twice, NY Rangers, NJ Devil-twice, Toronto - not your perennial bad teams either - no wonder the small market teams like SJ, Anh, Columbus, Ariz are are not too happy. Until someone can find some facts, guess we are to take it for what it is but I understand why the small market fans frustration.

Whoever the Canucks pick up with the draft or some of the prospects they have signed, I do hope they send them to Abby - I think giving them first hand experience in NHL size rink, the intensity, fighting etc will ensure they are not surprised by the NHL experience. Maybe they will bring along D-Petey and Jurmo to the farm in the next year or so.and get them adjusted possibly for the 2024 season. Perhaps they can package their first rounder for someone like Schnieder from Rangers

Edited by hockeyfan-observer
c
  • Vintage 1