The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

11th overall pick in the 2023 Entry Draft

Rate this topic

KyGuy123

18 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

We need wingers and centers.

We need players that can put the puck in the net, especially after shipping out two of Boeser, Garland, and Beauvillier.

If the D we want aren’t there at 11 we’d likely be looking at a smallish winger or low ceiling center. 

Id rather go boom or bust with Lafreniere. The guys still only 21. Could be the steal of the ages.

Just think after trading first for Hronek we need young guys coming in on ELCs over the next couple of years. 
Trading our first this year for someone much closer to needing to get paid when we are still in a tough cap position would be trouble.

• Cheers 3

Just now, DrJockitch said:

Just think after trading first for Hronek we need young guys coming in on ELCs over the next couple of years. 
Trading our first this year for someone much closer to needing to get paid when we are still in a tough cap position would be trouble.

He’s an RFA and hasn’t done enough for a big contract. Would be the perfect time to lock him in for three years on the cheap.

Could be a great way to solve our scoring issues with wingers that will most certainly be traded.

2 hours ago, Alflives said:

Reinbacher got injured today at the WC’s. IMHAO either him or ASP will be there for us at 11. 

ASP might be there but Reinbacher with his size I’d bet he goes top 10. People overvalue centers and dmen at the top of the draft. Wingers slide there’s a chance that ASP will go top 10 as well and I can see Benson, Barlow and the other wingers slide.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Look at the forwards taken first overall since the year 2000.

Only one real bust there in all those years and that’s Yakupov.

If the Rangers are dumb enough to give up on him at 21 you absolutely make that deal. He could easily be a point per game player on an affordable contract in a few years if you lock him up.

That’s one thing this team needs as much as any positional player. Value contracts.

Yeah, I agree. My gut feeling is that Laff has alot more to offer. 

I’m not really sold on anyone at 11 being a top line player.  Wood is really the only guy that I like at 11 that I think can be a top 3 forward ala Tage Thompson. If he is gone I would 100% trade the pick. 

We have to clear cap though and trade at least one winger and probably two. 

Edited by Elias Pettersson
  • Cheers 1

41 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

He’s an RFA and hasn’t done enough for a big contract. Would be the perfect time to lock him in for three years on the cheap.

Could be a great way to solve our scoring issues with wingers that will most certainly be traded.

I’m not so sure the Rangers are interested in draft picks unless they plan to flip them for help now. 
Maybe we do 11OA + Garland for Lafreniere + 23OA? Then we flip Lafreniere to the Habs for Dvorak + 29OA

We reallocate Garlsnd’s cap to a right shot 3C and still have picks 23 and 29. 
Get ‘er done Allvin! :frantic:

• elephant 1

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

I’m not so sure the Rangers are interested in draft picks unless they plan to flip them for help now. 
Maybe we do 11OA + Garland for Lafreniere + 23OA? Then we flip Lafreniere to the Habs for Dvorak + 29OA

Dvorak not worth his cap hit. Honestly though I would just not do that 2nd deal. Do the NYR deal and just re-sign Laff to a 2-3 year deal worth about 2-2.25 mill a year.

3 hours ago, Alflives said:

Rangers are not going to do that.

• Cheers 2

Just now, Alflives said:

Of course nothing of what we suggest will actually happen. 
But in this case the proposal is more than fair to the Raggedy Andys. 

It really isn't. Lafreniere has been a disappointment but is only 21. Garland has negative value due to his cap hit. The rags aren't going to give up Lafreniere AND take our cap dump to move up 12 spots. 

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, McBackup said:

It really isn't. Lafreniere has been a disappointment but is only 21. Garland has negative value due to his cap hit. The rags aren't going to give up Lafreniere AND take our cap dump to move up 12 spots. 

i mean what do you expect.. most proposals out there are so 1 sided favoring the canucks and all their players they want to rid as cap dump have so much value there'd be teams lining up to take them while other teams players can be all have for peanuts and anything more is a overpayment. 

28 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

i mean what do you expect.. most proposals out there are so 1 sided favoring the canucks and all their players they want to rid as cap dump have so much value there'd be teams lining up to take them while other teams players can be all have for peanuts and anything more is a overpayment. 

I don't think so. I see a lot of trades here I would hate the Canucks to make. Cap dumps are a crapshoot.

NHL Draft History – 11th Overall

NHL Draft History - 11th Overall (thehockeywriters.com)

1995 - Jarome Iginla

2003 - Jeff Carter

2005 - Anze Kopitar

2009 - Ryan Ellis

2012 - Filip Forsberg

2014 - Kevin Fiala

2015 - Lawson Crouse

2017 - Gabriel Vilardi

2021 - Cole Sillinger

Some decent players at 11OA over the years.  Anze Kopitar and Jarome Iginla would be the perfect type of players to get for us...

• Like 3
  • Cheers 1

6 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

1995 - Jarome Iginla

2003 - Jeff Carter

2005 - Anze Kopitar

2009 - Ryan Ellis

2012 - Filip Forsberg

2014 - Kevin Fiala

2015 - Lawson Crouse

2017 - Gabriel Vilardi

2021 - Cole Sillinger

Some decent players at 11OA over the years.  Anze Kopitar and Jarome Iginla would be the perfect type of players to get for us...

Any one of those players would be great. 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

1995 - Jarome Iginla

2003 - Jeff Carter

2005 - Anze Kopitar

2009 - Ryan Ellis

2012 - Filip Forsberg

2014 - Kevin Fiala

2015 - Lawson Crouse

2017 - Gabriel Vilardi

2021 - Cole Sillinger

And there will be guys available for us at 11 who could grow into great players, like some of the ones listed. 

• Like 1

For those that keep making rosters assuming all our prospects are going to be NHLers.

Do you know how many regular roster players we have now that we drafted outside the first round?  What a more than decade of picks has produced?

One.

Thatcher Demko (2nd round, 36th OA)

The next best prospects are Brisebois (3rd round, 66th OA) from 8 years ago and who has managed to develop into an AHL player capable of being an injury call up…. And Hoglander (2nd round, 40th OA) who is so far a tweener that may or may not develop into a useful player.

The only “steal” we have unearthed in later rounds and has a solid chance of being a regular NHLer, is Silovs (6th round, 156 OA).

Even if you count players we drafted and are playing somewhere else, the list of guys we drafted in the last 15 years (beyond the 1st round) and are playing regular minutes anywhere are all stars Ben Hutton and Forsling.

We haven’t been good at drafting players and haven’t been good at developing players.  Yet every year people crow about how our prospects will come in and rescue the team from its cap hell.

• Upvote 4

8 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

1995 - Jarome Iginla

2003 - Jeff Carter

2005 - Anze Kopitar

2009 - Ryan Ellis

2012 - Filip Forsberg

2014 - Kevin Fiala

2015 - Lawson Crouse

2017 - Gabriel Vilardi

2021 - Cole Sillinger

So 9 notable players in the last 28 years...

Season 9 Reaction GIF by The Office

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Provost said:

For those that keep making rosters assuming all our prospects are going to be NHLers.

Do you know how many regular roster players we have now that we drafted outside the first round?  What a more than decade of picks has produced?

One.

The next best prospects are Brisebois (3rd round, 66th OA) from 8 years ago and who has managed to develop into an AHL player capable of being an injury call up…. And Hoglander (2nd round, 40th OA) who is so far a tweener that may or may not develop into a useful player.

The only “steal” we have unearthed in later rounds and has a solid chance of being a regular NHLer, is Silovs (6th round, 156 OA).

Even if you count players we drafted and are playing somewhere else, the list of guys we drafted in the last 15 years (beyond the 1st round) and are playing regular minutes anywhere are all stars Ben Hutton and Forsling.

We haven’t been good at drafting players and haven’t been good at developing players.  Yet every year people crow about how our prospects will come in and rescue the team from its cap hell.

Hogs and Pods are on their way there. The team is finally using the farm team as a development tool rather than an afterthought. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, DSVII said:

Hogs and Pods are on their way there. The team is finally using the farm team as a development tool rather than an afterthought. 

If I had a nickel for every time someone predicted the bright future of one of our prospects (and turned out to be wrong), I would currently be enjoying a life of leisure on Bora Bora.

Podkolzin had better work out, he is a top 10 pick and they are supposed to be pretty much locks for at least being regular NHLers, and should mostly be in the top half of the lineup.

2nd and 3rd rounders should range in the 25-33% range for hitting on.  We aren’t at that rate.  In the later rounds combined you should get a player that at least plays 100 NHL games every couple of years from all those picks.  We aren’t at that rate either.

I like what the farm is doing lately and all the money spent on player development, but the proof needs to be in the pudding.  Aside from Ian Clark working some magic, our brightest farm team development star in a decade is bloody Guillaume Brisebois.

1 hour ago, Provost said:

One.

You are spot on in saying it more than pathetic. Hopefully it will never come to this, as it would be the first time in our history we wouldn't be able to make a trade or two. 

However, for me at least it was to prove, that we don't have to give up our 1st round pick, to be able to field a team. last year Allvin found following players at league minimum, Joshua and Studnica. Dries and Di Giuseppe got promoted from Abby and Silovs had a cup of coffee as well. 

Again what we need is a decent rhd that can play top 4 minutes and a 3C. Unless a trade or two can be swung without costing the club a fortune  ie Garland or Boeser and Poolman (maybe a buy out for him). We need to find 9 players for $15-16M (forgot Wolanin alrrady signed). 
its fair to expect Hogs-Podz-Joshua-Aman-Hirose-Silovs will be there. About $8-9M The remaining $7-8M to sign a decent rhd that can play top 4 with Hughes (Tanev?). A 3C and 1 extra player for press box or bottom pairing (wither from within or FA).  

Now in this scenario we don't promote anyone except Hogs and Podz. And I haven't even considered Kravtsov being extended. 

You are right it is far from ideal, but it is possible. The year after Boeser goes and Kuz are up for new contract. 
if they can't make ends meet, Kuz might be traded during the season, but likely Garland will be bought out at that stage, if he doesn't improve. 

As for producing players from the draft, you are spot on... it poor as best and pathetic at worst.... hopefully it will change under the new management. 

Anyway Provost its not to argue with you, it was just an observation from the cheap seats.