The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

11th overall pick in the 2023 Entry Draft

Rate this topic

KyGuy123

52 minutes ago, Fred65 said:

Craig's List: After impressive U18 showing, Axel Sandin Pellikka moves into Top 5 | TSN

Button has Sandin Pellikk  at #5 now and Tom Willande at #8 

I've pretty much always had ASP as the best defenceman in this draft.  The way he controls the pace of the game has top pairing written all over him.  Not quite as good as Q Hughes, but he's probably 85 to 90% as good, which is a helluva player in his own right.

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

1 minute ago, HKSR said:

I've pretty much always had ASP as the best defenceman in this draft.  The way he controls the pace of the game has top pairing written all over him.  Not quite as good as Q Hughes, but he's probably 85 to 90% as good, which is a helluva player in his own right.

Yeah he's gonna be a dynamic defender, I do like the way Reinbacher retrieves the puck outta the corners and makes the play to get it out, smooth hands and good awareness of his surroundings to find the lane or deke his way out, if we got either Id be happy

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, PhillipBlunt said:

The Canucks have a good amount of top end forwards. I hope the focus of the offseason is to find a way to offload cumbersome contracts, find Quinn a true #1 RH partner, and add more physical players with a pack mentality. 

This team has an elite forward in Pettersson, a near elite power forward in Miller, an elite defenseman in Hughes, and an elite goaltender in Demko. Build around that, and this team will go farther than either the Laffs or the Soilers. Team first mentality is what pushes teams through the playoffs. The willingness to go to war for each other. Toronto and Edmonton weren't willing to do that. 

100% man 

1 hour ago, Fred65 said:

Craig's List: After impressive U18 showing, Axel Sandin Pellikka moves into Top 5 | TSN

Button has Sandin Pellikk  at #5 now and Tom Willande at #8 

If you look at the 1st round draft rankings from

Button and Pronman for the past many years they outperform everyone else by a long ways in correctly identifying talent.

No one can be perfect as development is a huge part, but I take Button’s expertise as to the best selections any day of the week.

Depending on if there isn’t one of the top D available, this is a time I probably trade down.  #11 isn’t that much more likely to pan out than #20.  If you can add a 2nd rounder to drop a few slots and take advantage of a team that loves a specific winger available in your spot… maybe it is worth it.

Since we are (mistakenly) in a win now mode… maybe trading the pick to make a bunch of cap space also furthers that aim.  There will be solid players available if we have the space to take them on.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

40 minutes ago, Angry Goose said:

Ive been trying to take as much scouting takes on this year’s draft and its pretty wild how wide open it is after:

Bedard, Fantilli, Carlsson, Smith

Michkov, Reinbacher, Leonard I think will go next in whatever order.  

After that Ive seen ALOT of variance 

Really curious who the Canucks amateur staff have keyed in on

Leonard is my hope but I don't think he's going be there either. I think we're going to see some jaw dropping selections in the top 15.

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

Leonard is my hope but I don't think he's going be there either. I think we're going to see some jaw dropping selections in the top 15.

if ASP is available they will take him,

arguably BPA

greatest organizational need

high IQ

Swedish

• There it is 1

On 5/8/2023 at 6:51 PM, wildcam said:

Big big pass to Seth Jones,  29 yrs old August-- 8 yrs X 9.5 million -- OMG ---

Give up 11th O/A 

No thanks can't keep trading for old players and giving up high picks?

Canucks Don't want to lock into Jones...BIG NO

On 5/8/2023 at 6:41 PM, CanucksForever2 said:

To Chicago:

OEL + Garland + 11th pick for Seth Jones 

That would almost be as bad as trading our 9th OA and Eriksson for Garland and OEL.  Almost.  That being said I still think Garland is way better than people think, he's better 5 on 5 than Miller is. He can actually Drive a line, Boeser can't. There's a lot of middle 6 players the Canucks are actively shopping but Garland should be on the bottom of the list not the top.  Let's see what we have in Filip Johanson and Jet Woo before we think of trading for someone like Seth Jones. Good grief  

Edited by Pure961089

10 minutes ago, Pure961089 said:

That would almost be as bad as trading our 9th OA and Eriksson for Garland and OEL.  Almost.  That being said I still think Garland is way better than people think, he's better 5 on 5 than Miller is. He can actually Drive a line, Boeser can't. There's a lot of middle 6 players the Canucks are actively shopping but Garland should be on the bottom of the list not the top.  Let's see what we have in Filip Johanson and Jet Woo before we think of trading for someone like Seth Jones. Good grief  

It would be worse.  OEL doesn't have character issues like Jones does.

• Haha 1

Buttons list is brilliant for the 11th pick...

We'll get to pick between Barlow, Leonard, Wood, Dvorsky if neither ASP or Willander available... Reinbacher at 24th only...

I'll take any of these 7 @ the 11th pick... bring it on... 

Will be exciting to see, how Allvin and his scouts have ranked the players... 

• Like 1

Dang, Craig’s list seems to line up w some of the players I really liked (ASP, Barlow, Wallinder) and the ones I wasnt super high on (Wood, Benson, Yager). 

Wallinder jumping into the top 10 is the biggest surprise.  I wondered if he was too high of a pick at #11 but he really is a solid all around defender w good mobility.

I hadn’t watched much Reinbacher bc consensus was he would be going early but #24….CB bringin’ the heat

Ive been hearing some hype on Dmitri Simashev as well.  He’d be a nice pick up in the 2nd round if the Canucks could obtain a pick. Good skater.  Good offensive instincts.  Reminds me of a young OEL tbh 

Edited by Angry Goose

11 minutes ago, Angry Goose said:

Dang, Craig’s list seems to line up w some of the players I really liked (ASP, Barlow, Wallinder) and the ones I wasnt super high on (Wood, Benson, Yager). 

Wallinder jumping into the top 10 is the biggest surprise.  I wondered if he was too high of a pick at #11 but he really is a solid all around defender w good mobility.

I hadn’t watched much Reinbacher bc consensus was he would be going early but #24….CB bringin’ the heat

Ive been hearing some hype on Dmitri Simashev as well.  He’d be a nice pick up in the 2nd round if the Canucks could obtain a pick. Good skater.  Good offensive instincts.  Reminds me of a young OEL tbh 

smashed prob goers 1st round or early 2nd

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Pure961089 said:

Looking at the playoffs I'm leaning more for Barlow and Wood than I am even Benson. 

Heck, if Miller is going to be a Center for the next 4 years along with Petey maybe we're not so bad off going with a Leonard, Barlow, Wood, Sale, type who are big frame players and guys I predict could be in the show sooner, or later (1-2 years). In the case of Barlow he's almost ready to play now. Wouldn't he be a fantastic line mate for JT, with Miller's under-rated passing skills? Sale isn't far behind, and Leonard should be close too. The only one that needs to marinate is Wood, but he might progress quickly too. Everyone knows we need some more muscle ... but we need two way players too. Danielson would also be a playoff type guy that could probably handle a role sooner than later. The goal seems to be short term so yeah I guess that could work. Sure would be nice to replace Brock on Miller's wing with a 30+ goal guy who is physical and hardworking. A thing like this could be enough to push the team to a new level. with $5 mil of Brock's money available for a RD, 3C, or another top 6 guy.

Edited by Gawdzukes
  • Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

3 hours ago, Provost said:

If you look at the 1st round draft rankings from

Button and Pronman for the past many years they outperform everyone else by a long ways in correctly identifying talent.

No one can be perfect as development is a huge part, but I take Button’s expertise as to the best selections any day of the week.

Depending on if there isn’t one of the top D available, this is a time I probably trade down.  #11 isn’t that much more likely to pan out than #20.  If you can add a 2nd rounder to drop a few slots and take advantage of a team that loves a specific winger available in your spot… maybe it is worth it.

Since we are (mistakenly) in a win now mode… maybe trading the pick to make a bunch of cap space also furthers that aim.  There will be solid players available if we have the space to take them on.

Pronman 5-15th

5. Danielson

Smith

Reinbacher

But

Barlow

Honzek

11. Dvorsky

Yager

Benson

Moore

15. Leonard

Button 5-15th

5. Sandin-Pelikka

Smith

Sale

Wallinder

Dvorsky

Barlow

11. Wood

Leonard

Ritchie

Benson

15. Perrault

Both are kind of all over the board. Pronman has us taking Dvorsky and Button has us taking Wood. I would take Leonard or Barlow. Dvorsky high on both if he slips.

Button does seem to have a good track record of identifying talent, which makes me worried that Reinbacher dropped to #24 and he's still there at 11th when we pick. 

It's going to be really fun watching the draft this year...it's really unpredictable and we'll look back in a few years with many regrets of why we pick a certain player over another. A playoff team who kept their first rounder can potentially end up with an elite talent (crazy). And teams with multiple first round picks doesn't necessarily mean their picks will work out either (I hope Chicago is one of those teams)

• Vintage 1

1 hour ago, Gawdzukes said:

Pronman 5-15th

5. Danielson

Smith

Reinbacher

But

Barlow

Honzek

11. Dvorsky

Yager

Benson

Moore

15. Leonard

Button 5-15th

5. Sandin-Pelikka

Smith

Sale

Wallinder

Dvorsky

Barlow

11. Wood

Leonard

Ritchie

Benson

15. Perrault

Both are kind of all over the board. Pronman has us taking Dvorsky and Button has us taking Wood. I would take Leonard or Barlow. Dvorsky high on both if he slips.

Benson is falling like a rock according to these two. Maybe we trade down? 

• Upvote 1