The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

11th overall pick in the 2023 Entry Draft

Rate this topic

KyGuy123

2 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Tell Deon Cole GIF by Team Coco

You believe me saying "our top six will remain good" is a "bold" prediction? That's cute. Our top six remained good without Bo. At least there's something more than my imagination to base my comment on. "Remain good" is a rather safe prediction. Bold predictions would be Petey will put up 120+ pts and Miller pushes 100 again with Bo gone. Or Alf's bold, "Boeser will be a 30+ goal, ppg line driver". Now those are bold predictions. You were as bold and specific with your imagination as Alf.

NiceTry.gif.7840dc7e153998ce998f02565bc126d3.gif

• Cheers 1

On 5/25/2023 at 2:12 PM, ilduce39 said:

Importance of flexible cap space has been seriously magnified because of the flat cap, though.  

Hate to give them a pass but Toronto, in particular, took it hard handing out those big “progressive” contracts expecting to save money long term as the cap went up. 

Meanwhile, Vegas has shown nothing less than pure distain for the cap and is heading to the finals.

Not arguing the Canucks made the right call or anything - in their case they needed to “take their medicine” during Benning’s last offseason and just let the Loui/Beagle/Roussel deals age out and they’d have been fine.

Yeah right. We were just coming out of the Covid year. No point whatsoever selling the farm for one year. Would have been a perfect time to build the team for a year or two. We would have had three years going into this season.

According to Pronman’s recent rankings, our pick is at the border of tier 4 and 5, making the (estimated) difference between a ‘top of the lineup’ player and a ‘bubble top or middle of the lineup’ player.  

https://theathletic.com/4538998/2023/05/30/nhl-draft-rankings-2023-bedard-pronman/

Tier 5 stretches to pick 20, so some of the proposals trading down to 19 could be worthwhile, depending on the return.

Seems like this pick could make a meaningful impact in 2-3 years on an ELC. Think I’m getting sold on Willander.

Edited by Kenny Powers
  • Cheers 2

27 minutes ago, Kenny Powers said:

According to Pronman’s recent rankings, our pick is at the border of tier 4 and 5, making the (estimated) difference between a ‘top of the lineup’ player and a ‘bubble top or middle of the lineup’ player.  

https://theathletic.com/4538998/2023/05/30/nhl-draft-rankings-2023-bedard-pronman/

Tier 5 stretches to pick 20, so some of the proposals trading down to 19 could be worthwhile, depending on the return.

Seems like this pick could make a meaningful impact in 2-3 years on an ELC. Think I’m getting sold on Willander.

Thanks Kenny.  Doesn't look like Pronman is too high on Benson, ASP, Moore or Barlow.  I'm not either to be honest.  He seems to be really high on Reinbacher, Danielson and But.

I don't think much separates from pick 6 to pick 20 to be honest.  Could see some surprises in the top 10 too.  Tier 5 goes from 10-20.  Those players could all go in different spots on draft day.  Willander is moving up.  He could be the 2nd Dman off the board.  And he could definitely be Allvin's guy...

Tier 1:

1. Connor Bedard

Tier 2:

2. Adam Fantilli

3. Matvei Michkov

Tier 3:

4. Leo Carlsson

5. Will Smith

Tier 4:

6. David Reinbacher

7. Nate Danielson

8. Dalibor Dvorsky

9. Danil But

10. Dmitriy Simashev

Tier 5:

11. Ryan Leonard

12. Gabriel Perreault

13. Samuel Honzek

14. Matthew Wood

15. Tom Willander

16. Brayden Yager

17. Zach Benson

18. David Edstrom

19. Oliver Moore

20. Colby Barlow

• Cheers 2

To van: pettersson, 2023 14th pick overall pick, 2024 1st round pick (top 10 protected or moves to an unprotected 2025 1st pick) 

to pit: Miller 

Canucks would have the opportunity to select a top C and top D in the top 15 of the draft 

Moore and reinbacher? Sign me up! 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

5 hours ago, billabong said:

To van: pettersson, 2023 14th pick overall pick, 2024 1st round pick (top 10 protected or moves to an unprotected 2025 1st pick) 

Canucks would have the opportunity to select a top C and top D in the top 15 of the draft 

Will Dubas do this, though?  He might want to make a splash but he’s also a big nerd.

10 hours ago, ilduce39 said:

Will Dubas do this, though?  He might want to make a splash but he’s also a big nerd.

If Pitt is as desperate to keep trying to win as we think. it’s highly possible they revisit Miller around the draft 

Miller will be highly sought after cause there isn’t much in UFA for C 

Edited by billabong
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

15 hours ago, billabong said:

That would be considered a rebuilding move.  I don't see the Canucks doing that.  If they decide

to trade JT, there would have to be a top 4RD and/or a young player with #2C potential (already

playing 3C).

Edited by higgyfan
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

54 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

That would be considered a rebuilding move.  I don't see the Canucks doing that.  If they decide

to trade JT, there would have to be a top 4RD and/or a young player with #2C potential (already

playing 3C).

Unfortunately, I think you’re right. 

it’s what they SHOULD do but won’t do it

• Cheers 1

16 hours ago, billabong said:

This is the kind of trade that makes sense to me. 

1 hour ago, Fred65 said:

Here's the solution LOL

You trade our 11th plus Leternakki (sp) for a top 5 pick and then trade Miller to help the Cap. You get a centre with you hign pick

Don't think you'll find any takers with a top 5 pick ready to swap that for our 11th + Lekkerimaki... would be great though.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

14 hours ago, 5nothincanucksohno said:

Stick at 11 and select Nate Danielson...fills the big defensive center over the short-term and has a lot of potential offensive upside over the long-term

Like him as a target, and he’s moved up the rankings lately.  How quickly do you think he could play in the NHL to be considered a short-term solution?

32 minutes ago, Kenny Powers said:

Like him as a target, and he’s moved up the rankings lately.  How quickly do you think he could play in the NHL to be considered a short-term solution?

He seems to be detail orientated and handles a lot of responsibility. I think one could expect him pushing for an NHL spot in 2 years. He's also got the size and defensive chops to play a 3rd or 4th line role.

• Vintage 1