The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Is anyone going to flounce from hockey because of this?

Rate this topic

MaxVerstappen33

10 hours ago, *Buzzsaw* said:

Chicago had three first round picks last year, now this year they get Bedard.

Although they were lucky in getting Bedard, drafting high over the last few years was no accident... Chicago's management has been focused on a complete rebuild for two years now.

They are a franchise who look at the facts objectively and plan around logic.

They are making no attempts to acquire high profile players for next season... will probably sign some 1 year contracts with veterans who will be placeholders/temporary CAP minimum who will be moved aside for the prospects who will be ready in 2-3 years.  No long term deals will be considered... they are in rebuild, not a retool.

Expectations are they will be unlikely to make the playoffs in 2023/2024, but the Wirtz family is completely ok with this... no panic, and their knowledgeable fans are quite happy to watch the rebuild go ahead, knowing the process will likely deliver another dynasty.

By having unloaded Kane, and with the retirement of Toews, they have shed a huge amount of CAP... leaving them plenty of room to acquire high end free agent talent when they need to.

Chicago fans went through this same process back in 2006/2007, when they were at the bottom of the league, then had first the 3rd overall pick, (acquiring Toews) and the next year, the first overall. (acquiring Kane)  From that experience, they understand there is a method for building a winner... which involves a realisation some years will be write offs.

I don't see anything like that kind of systematic planning in the Canucks organization... there was no effort to try to find value from the Sedins when the team was clearly trending down... and this year, when it was clearly apparent through a number of circumstances the team would not make the playoffs, there was no effort to maximize our draft opportunities.

As long as short term planning dominates this team's approach, a real chance at a Cup will be limited.

Chicago barely had any fans left in 2007... they were almost folding...

As for Canucks not having such a plan, are you advocating getting rid of EP, QH, Kuz, Miller and Demko? 

• Upvote 1

18 hours ago, Goal:thecup said:

No, its all great.  And WTF flounces anyway!?!

We get to enjoy the beautiful weather and get some work done outside.

I think the NHL should start the season Sept 1, so the playoffs would end earlier.

And nothing short of a HIMAR could get me to stop cheering for the Canucks; even in the summer.

Cheers Everyone!  Hope you're having a Great Time!

Less regular season games, add more teams to the playoffs with a play in round

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, stawns said:

Would love that to be the case. Not sure owners want less guaranteed games...  so at least 82 games to be played for every team incl the play in round.

• Upvote 2
  • There it is 1

I dunno what flounce means but the NHL isn't getting a dime from me for a long time.

The digital ads and sweater defilement were the last straw.

As for the Canucks. Same gig. Hate the whole org except the players and a few of the supporting coaching staff. They have acted like entitled pigs. 

Once AQ sells I will give them another shot but this owner has shown he is a pile of garbage with little hockey sense. 

Ive done a good job too, influencing my circle to love the Canucks from a distance. Dropped the season tickets, no merch as gifts, nor will I wear them. 

The fans are the real bosses. We put the roof up on top this b*tch.

• Cheers 1

5 hours ago, spook007 said:

As for Canucks not having such a plan, are you advocating getting rid of EP, QH, Kuz, Miller and Demko? 

There was never any danger in folding, that family has so much money and the stadium is partly owned by them. But still yeah a half full building is worrisome!!

• Vintage 1

22 minutes ago, MaxVerstappen33 said:

Im not anymore. This has ruined Bedard for me. 

I have had a hard time watching bedard highlights all year because I knew we wouldn't get him.

Chicago ...barf...

• Vintage 1

21 minutes ago, MaxVerstappen33 said:

Im not anymore. This has ruined Bedard for me. 

Yeah, Bedard and every single person associated with the Blackhawks should be executed, can’t wait but til then I’ll enjoy watching him play.

2 hours ago, stawns said:

No, you won't win that against the BoG.

We don't need more teams, more teams in the playoffs, nor more games in the summer.

Crikey!  We're all salivating for hockey come September, lets get the preseason out of the way asap and Get It On!

5 minutes ago, Goal:thecup said:

No, you won't win that against the BoG.

We don't need more teams, more teams in the playoffs, nor more games in the summer.

Crikey!  We're all salivating for hockey come September, lets get the preseason out of the way asap and Get It On!

I don't disagree about starting earlier, but there needs to be more teams in the playoffs, imo.  They really need a short play in round, like the AHL has.  A league where only half the teams make the playoffs is a go nowhere league, imo because you will have a huge chunk of teams that miss the playoffs year after year after year.........that's no way to build a fan base

• Cheers 3

5 hours ago, stawns said:

I don't disagree about starting earlier, but there needs to be more teams in the playoffs, imo.  They really need a short play in round, like the AHL has.  A league where only half the teams make the playoffs is a go nowhere league, imo because you will have a huge chunk of teams that miss the playoffs year after year after year.........that's no way to build a fan base

I strongly disagree, and think it makes the regular season even more meaningless.

7 hours ago, kilgore said:

the-simpsons-homer-simpson.gif

Flounce is real Basil Fawlty expression but one used derisively. This Homer style flouncing is definitely more carefree and happy! I’m not sure what version MaxV had in mind when he first posted this thread?

• There it is 1

On 5/10/2023 at 5:22 AM, spook007 said:

Chicago fans were so disenfranchised from the losing and Wirtz seniors policy for black out TV ban in Chicago (going on how many decades?),  that Seabrook, Keith etc were in malls meeting fans and giving out free tickets, like it was CAR or something.  

• Like 1

16 hours ago, King Heffy said:

I strongly disagree, and think it makes the regular season even more meaningless.

I don't think so.  You can't have franchises that never get a post season opportunity.  

1 hour ago, stawns said:

I don't think so.  You can't have franchises that never get a post season opportunity.  

I agree with having most of the teams make the post season. One of the many reasons I hate baseball. However, the play ins suck and it's hard to make up brackets on 20-24 teams. Also no way they are giving up guaranteed games, nor do I see them lessening the season of 82 games. All of the scoring records would be meaningless. It's a tough problem to tackle but I agree in essence with what you're saying.