The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Who here is actually happy with the Hronek trade?

Rate this topic

Odd.

7 hours ago, Gurn said:

E.P. and Hughes may well leave, no matter what the Nucks do.

Hughes might well want to play for an East Coast team, to be closer to his family

E.P. may decided that planes rides from New York area to Sweden are so much shorter as to be worth going to a different team.

Not a single one of us truly knows.

So why let the worry of them leaving, have anything to do with how you build the team.?

For me it’s about the window that is opening in front of our eyes.

If you look four years ahead and see Hughes disappear you miss a lot of what will happen before. 

4 hours ago, dougieL said:

Did I every say they could have signed a Hronek-level player in FA at 1 year for 4.4m? You know what - if you want to go down that route, yeah, we're about to get a Hronek-level player in FA, and you're absolutely right that he won't be cheaper. He'll be a hell of a lot more expensive. You know who that player is going to be? Yeah...Hronek :lol:

And yeah, we could have taken advantage of a team in a cap crunch to poach players at reduced cost...kind of the same thing teams will likely do to us now that we're the ones in the cap crunch.

The consequences of this trade will not have been fully felt until we see (a) how much it's going to cost us to get out of our current cap predicament, and (b) how much we sign Hronek for.

This whole "the 18th pick will likely never be as good as Hronek" or "the 18th pick will not help us within X years" is nonsense. People need to understand the value of cap space, and until you do, you're only seeing half the picture. What did people say about Garland for our 9th overall? Some variant of "Guenther won't help us for at least 2-3 years" or "Guenther's ceiling is comparable to what Garland is now." And yet, do you think for one second that a team would give us a Guenther-level prospect in exchange for Garland and his cap hit?

Give your heads a shake people - this trade is nowhere near the slam dunk you think it is.

Here you show that PTBSD some of us are talking about.

We needed a really good RHD.

Forget about drafting that guy.

We can chill now when we have Hronek and try get a RHD prospect that may be Hroneks compliment in top 4 later.

But we need the player for the core going forward.

And again, we’re not in a cap crunch.

If we were PA wouldn’t have signed Boeser, not traded Miller for a lot of prospects etc.

PA got a lot of oppurtunities he couldn’t resist because the players were too good.

Mikh as in quick, Kuz as in exciting and cheap, Hronek is one of kind deal we haven’t seen very often here, Beavillier came in as one part of a must deal in getting Hronek and Räty.

Wich new players were bad for the team going forward?

• There it is 1

2 hours ago, Gawdzukes said:

I don't know what Petey is thinking. Someone should probably ask him. He may be a little wet behind the ears but I'm sure he would understand how draft picks work too. All I'm trying to say is you shouldn't be throwing draft picks away like some people here are suggesting they are not valuable because of this, that, and the other. 

Think of it this way. Petey is a great player. I'm sure you would also want him to be a Canuck for life as well right? Now is Hronek guaranteed to be a better player than the draft pick? No, nobody knows what's going to happen. There are tonnes of question marks with either decision. Obviously we've been over why draft picks are risky but there is also risk with Hronek's injury history, there is risk with how he fits on the team, there is risk with the cap crunch it's created, there is risk in his next contract, and whether or not we can reach an agreement. In three years Hronek could be on another team while the 18th pick is tearing up the league. Ideally Petey is here for more than 3 years and whether Hronek is leading the charge on D at that point, or some really good young kid on an ELC, I really wouldn't care if it's leading to us winning lots of hockey games, which probably won't come for at least a couple years regardless of whether Hronek is playing next year or not.

For the record I don't have a problem with the trade at all, just the people who can only see the situation from one side.

Nope. But he's legit top 4 NHL RHD. Can you guarantee that a draft pick will be?

In three years that 18th overall can be well on his way to being a bust like Juolevi.

Life doesn't come with guarantees.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

46 minutes ago, Timråfan said:

For me it’s about the window that is opening in front of our eyes.

If you look four years ahead and see Hughes disappear you miss a lot of what will happen before. 

Here you show that PTBSD some of us are talking about.

We needed a really good RHD.

Forget about drafting that guy.

We can chill now when we have Hronek and try get a RHD prospect that may be Hroneks compliment in top 4 later.

But we need the player for the core going forward.

And again, we’re not in a cap crunch.

If we were PA wouldn’t have signed Boeser, not traded Miller for a lot of prospects etc.

PA got a lot of oppurtunities he couldn’t resist because the players were too good.

Mikh as in quick, Kuz as in exciting and cheap, Hronek is one of kind deal we haven’t seen very often here, Beavillier came in as one part of a must deal in getting Hronek and Räty.

Wich new players were bad for the team going forward?

Tell us how we're not in a cap crunch.

7 hours ago, spook007 said:

How much have you seen Hrorak play?

Honest question as a lot of folks seems to write him of as a dogs breakfast without having seen him play. 
if PA says they've been scouting him since last year, I would kind of think, hey have a good read on him by now ...

Sounds like the JT Miller trade no? Forgetting he was playing on one of the deepest teams in the league at the time..  and also forgetting to see how well he did with Stammer, and he did play on his line more than once and rocked it and you think if people bothered to check, more people would have known that but nooooo.. dog's breakfast indeed!!!

What a fan base... This is typical... Omfg! Lol! Smh! <------ ! 

You know this starts in the media right? 9 times out of 10... And we have bush league media so I guess it makes sense, the only thing their REALLY good at is sugar coating bull$hit so well people actually believe it! 

Edited by iceman64
  • Cheers 1

56 minutes ago, dougieL said:

Tell us how we're not in a cap crunch.

Because we have the players to get us to playoff the coming season. We don’t need to rush it.

We have players that are injured and at least one will not come back this year.

A little sidestep here…

If PA trade away the 1st some here will believe it’s a stressed decision when it’s a calculated strategy to get the bpa for us. And if that happen he will throw away one of the wingers we don’t need because we trade dollar for dollar also. 

There is no chance anybody here can claim two lottery tickets is worth more than an established player. Fine, you get two cost controlled players but you won’t know if they ever play in NHL.

So, can you please answer my question now? 
Or do you have more questions instead? 

18 hours ago, canuck73_3 said:

But but but, RU Serious calls him Horn-Wreck so he sucks :rolleyes:

I always maintained there is hope for everyone - and you just proved my theory!   Glad you finally came around and "saw the light".

Now, do you think there is a team out there that we can trade him to on July 1st and get our 1st and 2nd back for him?

Edited by RU SERIOUS

36 minutes ago, RU SERIOUS said:

I always maintained there is hope for everyone - and you just proved my theory!   Glad you finally came around and "saw the light".

Now, do you think there is a team out there that we can trade him to on July 1st and get our 1st and 2nd back for him?

Or, here me out, we need top 4 dmen, keep him. I know, crazy thoughts right?

• Cheers 1
  • There it is 2
  • elephant 1

10 hours ago, Baggins said:

Nope. But he's legit top 4 NHL RHD. Can you guarantee that a draft pick will be?

In three years that 18th overall can be well on his way to being a bust like Juolevi.

Life doesn't come with guarantees.

Exactly, as long as you understand that. There are two viable paths, not just yours. You also take into account we're cash strapped and there are difficulties that creates at the same time. Again I'm all for the trade, it's fine but anyone who thinks we're not in cap trouble is off in la la land. Just completely off their rocker.

When doing an exercise such as this it's helpful to remember the sacrifices you made, not just justify everything away and pretend there is no downside. That's how you learn. Like it or not, the 18th pick in this deep draft is very valuable, as is the second, and we are sacrificing future for now. We'll see how it works out. I like Hronek a lot and I am definitely looking forward to watching a defence that isn't full of incompetent baboons. It would also be nicer if it was a giraffe and bear free environment. :P

Edited by Gawdzukes

7 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

Exactly, as long as you understand that. There are two viable paths, not just yours. You also take into account we're cash strapped and there are difficulties that creates at the same time. Again I'm all for the trade, it's fine but anyone who thinks we're not in cap trouble is off in la la land. Just completely off their rocker.

When doing an exercise such as this it's helpful to remember the sacrifices you made, not just justify everything away and pretend there is no downside. That's how you learn. Like it or not, the 18th pick in this deep draft is very valuable, as is the second, and we are sacrificing future for now. We'll see how it works out. I like Hronek a lot and I am definitely looking forward to watching a defence that isn't full of incompetent baboons. It would also be nicer if it was a giraffe free environment. :P

Once his bonus is paid, it will be. The fact people are trying to make Hronek the issue is mindbogglingly stupid.

• Cheers 2
  • There it is 1

45 minutes ago, RU SERIOUS said:

25 year old, elite, right shot D man. Why in the heck would we trade him? Yzerman clestly made a mistake. He got enamoured eith that Islanders’ first bring a very high pick in 2024. His club went into the dumpster when Hronek went out. We now have a guy to either partner with Hughes (freeing up Hughes’ offensive game 5 on 5) or he can anchor our second pair. And did I say he’s only 25? 
This is how to build out a winning roster. 

13 hours ago, Baggins said:

Who said it's useless? Nobody.

Can you guarantee it will turn out? No you can't.

How say how quickly will he actually be effective if he turns out? No you can't.

Picks are simply assets. You can use them, cross your fingers and wait. Or you can trade them for what you need now. Just as prospects are assets. You can cross your fingers and wait, or trade them for what you need now. Every team needs prospects and picks whether rebuilding, building, or contending. That doesn't mean you never ever trade them.

We were never going to fill a top 4 RD without trading picks.  We aren’t rebuilding the back end during Petey/Hughes/Demko era without trading futures.

Best case we overpay in FA but that would have meant bringing on a guy turning 30 rather than 25 year old Hronek. Way harder to find a good deal when you don’t have a playoff club, as well.  

For some, it’s the same “we need to rebuild” debate just on a different battlefield - but since we *arent* rebuilding this is an area we needed to spend on.

• Like 3
  • Cheers 1

1 minute ago, canuck73_3 said:

Once his bonus is paid, it will be. The fact people are trying to make Hronek the issue is mindbogglingly stupid.

And even if we kept Myers to the end of his contract Hronek’s new deal wouldn’t start until Myers’ contract is over. The only reason to be against the trade for Hronek is because that person believes we need to rebuild. So that fsn is saying our core is no good and we should trade them away for picks and hope (over the next five years) to draft prospects who develop into players better than our current core group and then retool the supporting cast around that new core. IMHAO that’s incredibly stupid. 

• Cheers 2

Have we extended him yet? No? Then I have no idea if I'm happy or not!  The trade was a great first step but I still grade it an "I" for incomplete.  My guess is that I'll end up liking the trade but we really do need to see that contract first.

• Cheers 2

Just now, Baratheon said:

Have we extended him yet? No? Then I have no idea if I'm happy or not!  The trade was a great first step but I still grade it an "I" for incomplete.  My guess is that I'll end up liking the trade but we really do need to see that contract first.

Hronek is 25. When his next starts he will be 26. He’s just into his prime years. Signing a top pairing, RSD as a UFA is near to impossible and would be incredibly expensive. And that guy will be exiting his prime years. Hronek’s age is fantastic for our core. 

• Cheers 4

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Hronek is 25. When his next starts he will be 26. He’s just into his prime years. Signing a top pairing, RSD as a UFA is near to impossible and would be incredibly expensive. And that guy will be exiting his prime years. Hronek’s age is fantastic for our core. 

Yep I agree.  But anybody can be overpaid.  I'm leaning towards your way of thinking but still consider this to be a work in progress until we see what the contract looks like.  Once upon a time folks were excited about Jason Garrison or Nate Schmidt.  Not saying that's the situation we have here.  Simply explaining why I'm not about to jump to conclusions just yet.