The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Interesting note from Steve Simmons today about who will replace Cheech

Rate this topic

I find him difficult to listen to, he sounds like a meathead.

Quality career NHLer with an underrated stat line and seems like a pretty good guy though, so whatever I'll take it. No one will stand up to the Cheech Shorty combo, just like Shorty Larscheid before that.

I think he could be alright. It's a big change from the aw shucks likeable character the Cheech was, but Ferraro obviously knows and loves the game and really enjoys talking about it. I just hope he picks and chooses his spots. Cheech often didn't say a lot, and I prefer that to having someone drone on and on instead of just letting the game speak for itself sometimes.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

I find it interesting that the same reasons people find Hansen "refreshing" is pretty much the same reasons people hate Ferraro. Ray is very blunt, won't sugarcoat anything. And calls it the way he sees it. He's not much different than Hansen. To be fair I like Hansen as a person and a player. But I dislike him on the radio for the same reasons people don't like Ray. I'd rather have Juice as a colour guy over both of them. I don't know why people are worried that because Ray is married to the AGM that he'd somehow spill the beans about the Canucks. It seems Cammi understands her job, and doesn't let Ray know what's going on. And despite his wife being AGM, I don't think Ray has softened his tone on the Canucks.

Well said. Green was so not the problem.

• Wat 1
  • Vintage 1

51 minutes ago, Strawbone said:

I think he could be alright. It's a big change from the aw shucks likeable character the Cheech was, but Ferraro obviously knows and loves the game and really enjoys talking about it. I just hope he picks and chooses his spots. Cheech often didn't say a lot, and I prefer that to having someone drone on and on instead of just letting the game speak for itself sometimes.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Good choice. Ray has his flaws.  Gets a little stubborn and bent out of shape on some topics. But he's always enjoyable to listen to, and insightful.  I was honestly dreading this decision, that it might be someone like Joey Kenward *shudder* or another of the schmoes from 650

I honestly thought Ray was 'too big' for us. I thought he's made it into the national, and American market now.  Why would he come back to BC,  in the remote corner of the hockey world, to start a new job. Doing games when half the country is already going to bed. 

Hearing how Bieksa is being let go in HNIC, if I had my druthers, I think Ray is better suited to Kevin's spot there speaking nationally, and I'd then rather have Kevin come back here to do colour for the Canucks.

Hansen would have been an okay choice too.  I really like his radio spots.  But his voice, and delivery, could get a little tiring IMO.

• Vintage 1

1 hour ago, kilgore said:

Good choice. Ray has his flaws.  Gets a little stubborn and bent out of shape on some topics. But he's always enjoyable to listen to, and insightful.  I was honestly dreading this decision, that it might be someone like Joey Kenward *shudder* or another of the schmoes from 650

I honestly thought Ray was 'too big' for us. I thought he's made it into the national, and American market now.  Why would he come back to BC,  in the remote corner of the hockey world, to start a new job. Doing games when half the country is already going to bed. 

Hearing how Bieksa is being let go in HNIC, if I had my druthers, I think Ray is better suited to Kevin's spot there speaking nationally, and I'd then rather have Kevin come back here to do colour for the Canucks.

Hansen would have been an okay choice too.  I really like his radio spots.  But his voice, and delivery, could get a little tiring IMO.

I think people are getting ahead of themselves. We know this:

There has been nothing even close to an announcement about Ferraro being the  Canucks #1 TV analyst.

Dave Tomlinson is leaving the Kraken for an "opportunity in Canada."

Kevin Bieksa has confirmed he will be back on HNIC>

That's pretty much it. Anything else is pure speculation.  Stay away from the crappy blogs. 

• Cheers 1

11 minutes ago, skeena1 said:

There has been nothing even close to an announcement about Ferraro being the  Canucks #1 TV analyst.

That's pretty much it. Anything else is pure speculation.  Stay away from the crappy blogs. 

I thought it was already confirmed he's doing 28 games or something, whatever his other contract allows him to do in his time off.

18 minutes ago, skeena1 said:

I'm glad to hear Bieksa is remaining with HNIC.

Yeah I see the original post came from a giant word salad at the end of a blog.  Dam, I hope its true. 

Please not Kenward or Tomlinson.  Tomlinson is not as annoying as Kenward but almost.  Both are amateurs compared to having Bieksa, Ferraro, OR Cheech. We were lucky and blessed to have Garrett here while he was here. 

If Bieksa is out, Hansen or Ferraro please.

Not gon happen but:  wouldn't it be fun to have Brucethereitis as colour?

Edited by kilgore

52 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

I thought it was already confirmed he's doing 28 games or something, whatever his other contract allows him to do in his time off.

Nothing confirmed.  Again, stay away from the crappy blogs and serial retweeters. canucksdaily, hockeyfeed, Rob Sampare - looking at you.  and for those others who mass-deleted their posts - you are cowards.

1 hour ago, kilgore said:

I'm glad to hear Bieksa is remaining with HNIC.

Yeah I see the original post came from a giant word salad at the end of a blog.  Dam, I hope its true. 

Please not Kenward or Tomlinson.  Tomlinson is not as annoying as Kenward but almost.  Both are amateurs compared to having Bieksa, Ferraro, OR Cheech. We were lucky and blessed to have Garrett here while he was here. 

If Bieksa is out, Hansen or Ferraro please.

Not gon happen but:  wouldn't it be fun to have Brucethereitis as colour?

Can the illustrious Kevin Owens be his broadcast partner?

• Haha 2

43 minutes ago, skeena1 said:

Nothing confirmed.  Again, stay away from the crappy blogs and serial retweeters. canucksdaily, hockeyfeed, Rob Sampare - looking at you.  and for those others who mass-deleted their posts - you are cowards.

I don't pay attention to any of that crap or twitter, except for here when reliable sources are directly quoted. I read that earlier in this thread. The information here is usually pretty spot on but now that I look back I don't see a very reputable source.

It should be Ferraro. At least the guy knows hockey and he's as passionate as you can be about hockey. He's got a pretty good humor too.

On 7/16/2023 at 12:02 PM, Goal:thecup said:

Past tense; i.e. was always hating on the Canucks.  As previously mentioned he has been a lot better the last few years.

He’s been impartial for the longest time. I’ve heard him both praise and criticize the team. I usually, but not always, agree with him. However, I do respect his opinions. 

4 hours ago, kilgore said:

*shudder* or another of the schmoes from 650

You're telling me that when you turn on a Canucks game, you don't want to hear Thomas Drance use a word incorrectly and then give the wrong definition to the audience on what it means because he's the smartest man in the building? Or Jason Brough do a terrible Norm MacDonald impression every chance he gets?

• Sad 1

Government should mandate cheech back to work.

anyone and everyone is a downgrade.

Ray is better than a some of the options out there but they needed a big personality like a bieska that can add humour and insight.but still know when to be quiet (unlike galley) 

someone who appreciates McDavid and other stars but doesn’t just constantly gush for them.

ray is the typical nothing special analyst.

they should have a season long tryouts 

Hansen ray and others get games. 
I liked Gary Valk back when he was on. 

5 hours ago, combover said:

Government should mandate cheech back to work.

anyone and everyone is a downgrade.

Ray is better than a some of the options out there but they needed a big personality like a bieska that can add humour and insight.but still know when to be quiet (unlike galley) 

someone who appreciates McDavid and other stars but doesn’t just constantly gush for them.

ray is the typical nothing special analyst.

they should have a season long tryouts 

Hansen ray and others get games. 
I liked Gary Valk back when he was on. 

you can't judge how ferraro would call a regional broadcast as an affiliated broadcaster based on his work in national (or otherwise) broadcasts as an unaffiliated broadcaster. 

apples and oranges. 

3 hours ago, tas said:

you can't judge how ferraro would call a regional broadcast as an affiliated broadcaster based on his work in national (or otherwise) broadcasts as an unaffiliated broadcaster. 

apples and oranges. 

Maybe you can’t but I can 

judging him on his body of work

others that are unaffiliated still show the leafs Coilers and flames bias ,rays been pretty neutral . it’s been his lack of personality that bores me. 

I’d just like to see a tryout with a few guys that could do the job.
see who got the chemistry with shorty.

Nobody’s filling cheeches shoes,he’ll be a tough act to follow for who ever gets the gig. 

On 7/25/2023 at 12:57 PM, tas said:

apples and oranges. 

Closest would be his work on TSN during the WJHC.  I thought he did pretty well.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1