The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Interesting note from Steve Simmons today about who will replace Cheech

Rate this topic

1 hour ago, ilduce39 said:

I know I’m in the minority but I’ve never really liked Ferraro. Maybe he’ll grow on me if he gets the gig, though.  I can see how he’s the logical choice if they can get him.

Problem is when doing hockey in the US, the job is often explaining Hockey to Americans.
Will be good to see how he does in a Canadian market. 

• Cheers 1
  • There it is 1

6 hours ago, The Arrogant Worms said:

Ray Ferraro, the best in the business, is apparently on his way to doing colour for Vancouver Canucks games on Sportsnet next season, even though his wife, Cammi, has a senior management position in Vancouver. There is precedence for this apparent conflict of interest here. For years, Cassie Campbell-Pascall has done Flames games on Sportsnet while her husband Brad has been a senior executive with the Flames

https://canoe.com/sports/hockey/nhl/toronto-maple-leafs/simmons-says-maple-leafs-auston-matthews-will-be-the-highest-paid-player-in-the-nhl/wcm/b13e0a80-01cf-45ea-bc59-7197ecda466b

I read a article last week saying Ray Ferraro has contract with TSN doing colour for NHL games. So Ray would only be available to be Colour guy for like 40 Canucks games next season? Maybe things have changed and Ray will be full time on Sportsnet with Vancouver?

6 minutes ago, DrJockitch said:

Problem is when doing hockey in the US, the job is often explaining Hockey to Americans.

That’s a very good point. I think Ray will make us laugh in those situations where he would otherwise be teaching the US fans. He says some ridiculously funny things. I remember one time, when he was working with Scotty Rintool, they had a poll to decide the best candy bar. Ray went on a rant about the “Eatmore” and how it was cool it could be used as a whip-like weapon. Or how he would say a certain player needed a “swift kick in the arse with a frozen boot” to get him going. 

I didn’t mind Larscheid despite him being so outspoken at times. I think he was passionate about the game and at a point in his life where he simply dgaf what he said. 

Ray will do a good job and has too much at stake to risk saying the wrong things or create a conflict of interest situation. He’s a smart man. 

• Vintage 1

11 minutes ago, DrJockitch said:

Best comparable is how he's covered the WJHC, where he's been excellent.    My one concern is that he might not want to stay too long due to the travel required.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, ilduce39 said:

I know I’m in the minority but I’ve never really liked Ferraro. Maybe he’ll grow on me if he gets the gig, though.  I can see how he’s the logical choice if they can get him.

I’m not a big fan. I think he’s alright. I think maybe years of playing the video games he was on tainted me a bit 

• Cheers 2

4 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Best comparable is how he's covered the WJHC, where he's been excellent.    My one concern is that he might not want to stay too long due to the travel required.

Doesn’t he have to spend quite a bit of time down in the states right now?

If anything this would mean he could be at home more no?

• There it is 1

30 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Doesn’t he have to spend quite a bit of time down in the states right now?

If anything this would mean he could be at home more no?

From what I understand Ferraro will be doing 25 home games and 10 road games.  They will be hiring someone else to do the rest of the games.  I believe he will still be employed with ESPN.  Apparently, he will only be doing the road games that can be worked around his ESPN gig...

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

From what I understand Ferraro will be doing 25 home games and 10 road games.  They will be hiring someone else to do the rest of the games.  I believe he will still be employed with ESPN.  Apparently, he will only be doing the road games that can be worked around his ESPN gig...

Hopefully Don Taylor is the other guy! ::D

• Haha 3

7 hours ago, Gurn said:

Just can't see Ray, and Cammi, covering the same team.

Management already sacked one gal for alleged leaks to media.

There is a difference. Ray is an established commentator and Cammi, well, she's the assistant GM. There has to be a significant amount of trust.

The other gal you're mentioning was just a bad hire from the very beginning. The red flags were right there and they hired her anyway.

• Cheers 1