The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Interesting note from Steve Simmons today about who will replace Cheech

Rate this topic

"Conflict of Interest" absurd. The league and media are incestuous co-conspirators. This is nothing. One broadcast guy whose wife works for the org is not a conflict of interest unless Cammi spills the beans about something over dinner and Ray leaks it on the air. 

On second thought that would be really entertaining. I'm all the more for it. 

• There it is 1

12 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

Cant stand Ray.

Please, I hope that he is not the replacement for Cheech.

I thought it was a done deal, but I haven’t been paying much attention.

I guess it’s still just at the rumour/anonymous source report stage?

I have no problem with Ray, personally. He’s a pretty knowledgeable guy who brings an interesting perspective. I think he’d be a good fit for 25 dates a season.

Much more concerned about who they’re going to pick for the other games. 

What if we get stuck with Drance and his cackle for the remaining 57 games? **shudders**

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

I have no problem with Ray, personally. He’s a pretty knowledgeable guy who brings an interesting perspective. I think he’d be a good fit for 25 dates a season.

What if we get stuck with Drance and his cackle for the remaining 57 games? **shudders**

Oh its a done deal? that blows.

He is knowledgeable but acts like a know-it-all. 

I just can't stand his attitude. He's pissy and defensive. A whiner. 

• Cheers 1

4 hours ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Fly a banner over Rogers Arena that says “Fire Drance”. 

• Haha 2

On 6/4/2023 at 2:18 PM, JamesB said:

Like most local broadcast color commentators, Cheech was a homer, but not as extreme as some. He did provide occasional criticism of Canuck players and his comments were always insightful. Everyone liked Cheech. He was like "one of us" (i.e. a fan who wants to see the team do well). There are times when I would have liked to see him be more critical (like when he was ignoring the latest gaffe from Myers or OEL or giving Miller a pass on a weak defensive play) but, like everyone else, I liked him a lot overall.

Ferraro will be more critical. I sometimes find him over the top in that often he overstates or exaggerates a point  He will be different from Cheech.

But I will be interested to see how he does. I wonder if the change in commentator has any effect on the players. No-one likes to be criticized in the media and I expect that some guys will be in for a lot more criticism from Ferraro than they were from Cheech.

He was a Homer for sure.  Should of heard him doing color commentary on a Flames game.  Cookie cutter with different names.

• 1 month later...
On 6/4/2023 at 12:04 PM, -DLC- said:

LOL at conflict of interest.

Yet one player's daddy was NHL Vice President and Director of Hockey Operations and in charge of disciplinary actions. Convenient. But it was treated like it was a "nothing to see here" deal. Right-o.

I like Ray and think he'd be good in the role. Gets a little fast talking at times, but overall he'd be a good fit in my opinion. No Cheech by any means....I imagine we'll lose some of the light hearted banter we've grown accustomed to but definitely a decent candidate.

In fairness Campbell stepped away in series that Gregory was involved in, the suspension to Rome was handled by Mike Murphy with consultation from Brian Burke. 

29 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

I remember when they had Hughson and Taylor on the EA NHL games. It was funny. Sort of Dad humour but funny.

That was the only time I could tolerate Hughson doing hockey because they didn’t have him prerecord a message saying “What a fine mess he got himself into” for every time Messier scored.

Loved him doing baseball though.

14 minutes ago, Citizen Erased said:

That was the only time I could tolerate Hughson doing hockey

opposition D man dumps the puck on net, from his blue line

"Great save! by Roberto !!!!!!!!!!"

Edited by Gurn
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

Tomlinson did colour for 1040 with Shorty... They both were on the call for Burrows and Bieksa OT magic in 2011.

Wpuld make a lot of sense it would be him replacing Cheech. Already have a past working relationship until TSN lost its broadcasting rights. 

Almost 100% the guy then, unless Hirsch is leaving radio and we don't know about it.

• Cheers 1

So looks like Dave Tomlinson is coming back to do colour with Shorty. I’m assuming he’s sharing the gig with Ray Ferraro. Tomlinson was one of the better ones we’ve had. Not in the same category as Larscheid or Garrett but probably a distant 3rd place. 

https://dailyhive.com/vancouver/ex-canucks-analyst-dave-tomlinson-leaves-seattle-job

Edited by Elias Pettersson