The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Interesting note from Steve Simmons today about who will replace Cheech

Rate this topic

2 hours ago, canuck73_3 said:

In fairness Campbell stepped away in series that Gregory was involved in, the suspension to Rome was handled by Mike Murphy with consultation from Brian Burke. 

Campbell should have been fired on the spot after the email leak.  Regarding 2011, Burke should never have been consulted given his history with the Aquilinis.  I trust his professionalism, but the optics didn't look good.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 2

20 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Campbell should have been fired on the spot after the email leak.  Regarding 2011, Burke should never have been consulted given his history with the Aquilinis.  I trust his professionalism, but the optics didn't look good.

I definitely agree he should have been fired for that, that was bush league at best. As for Burke I have 100% faith in him to do what he thought was right, even if I don’t agree with his call there. 

I think I’d have less of an issue now with the Rome suspension if the league stayed more consistent with calls but for whatever reason they reverted back to the wheel of justice and it’s been more than disappointing. 

Edited by canuck73_3

IMO the NHL in general struggles to introduce new blood to television coverage, not to mention management at the team and league level. Think about it, do you have to be an ex-player in order to provide intelligent commentary on our game? In terms of "conflict of interest" pro-hockey is certainly not exempt to this reality, and don't get me started about nepotism. 

On 6/4/2023 at 1:19 PM, Alflives said:

Are the broadcasters employees of the club or the TV station? I don’t see any “conflict of interests” for Ray to do colour. He’d be fantastic!  He can be critical and funny. Not too sure how many games he would be able to do though. Isn’t he busy with US TV? 

Yes still with TSN so maybe up to 35-40 games for Canucks this season..Ray will be a great .

• Thanks 1

Ray Ferraro will be fine if he uses the same tone and inflection he uses when he does a radio hit. I've noticed when he's doing colour his pitch gets screechy and he talks too fast. I think the best solution is for him to sit with Shorthouse in the rafters and have a conversation, rather than standing at ice level between the benches and trying to keep up with the game. I don't know how to make a poll but if I did I would would consist of two statements: 1. Ray should be in the booth with Shorty, or 2. Ray should be at ice level between the benches. Choose one. 

4 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

So looks like Dave Tomlinson is coming back to do colour with Shorty. I’m assuming he’s sharing the gig with Ray Ferraro. Tomlinson was one of the better ones we’ve had. Not in the same category as Larscheid or Garrett but probably a distant 3rd place. 

https://dailyhive.com/vancouver/ex-canucks-analyst-dave-tomlinson-leaves-seattle-job

He was alright, certainly was big shoes to fill when he took over from Tommy. Now Cheech. Hopefully he's more relaxed and himself this time. 

• Cheers 2

52 minutes ago, EddieVedder said:

So many other great options and they choose ferraro.  Dont mind him.but he always sounds like he has something up his butt

Getting a guy who has a ton of experience working national broadcasts to do a local colour job is impressive.

• Cheers 1

4 hours ago, Jaimito said:

If true, that's fine.  I liked him when he was doing Nux radio.  Hope Ray can do some games too.  He's good on TV.  

Yes, please!  Bring back all the sports media personalities with actual hockey knowledge/experience.  I am sooooo tired of listening to the endless, inane banter of the know-nothing hockey commentators that our local sports radio now exclusively employs!  

• There it is 1

On 6/4/2023 at 11:57 AM, The Arrogant Worms said:

Ray Ferraro, the best in the business, is apparently on his way to doing colour for Vancouver Canucks games on Sportsnet next season, even though his wife, Cammi, has a senior management position in Vancouver. There is precedence for this apparent conflict of interest here. For years, Cassie Campbell-Pascall has done Flames games on Sportsnet while her husband Brad has been a senior executive with the Flames

https://canoe.com/sports/hockey/nhl/toronto-maple-leafs/simmons-says-maple-leafs-auston-matthews-will-be-the-highest-paid-player-in-the-nhl/wcm/b13e0a80-01cf-45ea-bc59-7197ecda466b

team america vomit GIF

• Thanks 1
  • Wat 1
  • There it is 1

On 7/14/2023 at 6:31 PM, King Heffy said:

I don’t trust Burkie’s professionalism.

He’s admitted not-so jokingly to being one of the most vindictive men in hockey,…saying that as a blood-Irishman, he’d expect his son(s) to carry on with his feuds after he dies. 

There are many evidences that after the firing of his BFF Dave Nonis as the Canucks’ GM & the hiring of his arch-nemesis & former player-agent for Bure, Mike Gillis,  by the Aquilinis…Burke did his best to undermine the welfare of the Canucks franchise, at almost every turn. That dynamic was publicly known through multiple incidents between the Canucks & Burke, while he was a rival GM for other teams.

Burke DEFINITELY should have recused himself from offering any advise on the Rome matter…especially since he was also a long-suffering Bostonian & Bruins-fan biased towards their old-school traditions & outwardly opposed to the more progressive path that the Canucks organization was then on. 

I hope the tears Burke shed at the Sedins’ jersey raising, were in part for the sting he must now feel, knowing his hatred for Gillis & bias for his home-town Bruins saw him recommend an excessively heavy suspension to Aron Rome….costing the Sedin-twins their best opportunity to hoist the Stanley Cup.

Had he recused himself from that very pivotal decision, would things have played-out any differently?

But, it’s simply not Burke’s way to back down. He fights, he manipulates, he meddles & he proudly continues to endorse acts of violently-vindictive retribution & on-ice vigilantism in the NHL, just like he duly performed & performs those acts in life.

I pray Burkie has experienced at least some measure of sadness, shame or feelings of regret for virtually stealing the SCup out of the hands of the 2-HOF players he was also so fortunate enough to craftily draft.

Edited by viking mama