The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Buyout] Oliver Ekman-Larsson

22 minutes ago, DrJockitch said:

And with Myers we have 2 top 4 D men. 

In fairness, Myers was a top 4 guy for a few seasons for us.  Then his game went off a cliff.  At least he didn't cost us a 1st round pick to acquire unlike the other player.

3 minutes ago, EddieVedder said:

OEL was still young enough to turn it around and make a difference.  This is just crazy. 

32 banged up dmen don’t normally turn it around. If I remember right him and Tocchet didn’t really get along in Arizona either. 

• Like 1

This was the very 1st day of the buyout window - closes on 30 June.  OEL has an NMC so he was able to decide to skip waivers and have the team proceed directly with the buyout.  

Surprised that they made the move that early.  The NHL/NHLPA are still discussing a possible cap increase beyond 1M - not expected to be all that much though.  Over 7M gained is going to give them quite a bit of room to improve the team.

Curious what they are going to do with the cap space. I like the move if they are now able to bring in a younger defenseman through either trade or offer sheet. I hope the plan isn't to make a big investment in an O28 player. Maybe get aggressive and try to offer sheet K'Andre Miller? A long shot, but that could be an appealing endeavor.

2 minutes ago, HKSR said:

The thing is, once Myers is gone, we OFFICIALLY have TWO top 4 defencemen under contract.  Hughes and Hronek.  That's it.  We are now on the hunt for two top 4 defencemen. 

I imagine Bear was going to be slotted into the 2RD, but now with his surgery that's up in the air.

I'm not sure what's going on with Poolman and if he will be available for next season, but if not, I think the Canucks would be wise to engage with the Burroughs camp. He's no better than a 6th/7th D, but I think he would make a good stop gap until Bear comes back and is decent depth insurance ongoing. I guess that assumes that they don't think McWard will be able to slot in for the 6 months he's out. McWard showed pretty well I thought, but the sample size is incredibly small. I actually would have loved to see Schenn as 3RD, but I hear Toronto is making a push to re-sign him.

In any event, I'm only talking depth guys here. We certainly need true top 4 guys. I was advocating for Severson, but that ship has now sailed and he got paid a bit more than I would have wanted the Canucks to pay anyway. I wouldn't mind seeing Graves on the left side of Hronek if he came cheap enough. I also wouldn't mind Dumba on the right side of Hughes - again, if he was willing to take a reasonably salary and the term wouldn't be too long. I guess what I'm saying is that there ARE UFA options available should we want to use them.

I strongly believe that both OEL and Myers were responsible for far too many loses last season. I’m so happy one of these bafoons is gone. Myers be gone after his bonus and this will be a successful off season. AHL plugs are better than these clowns

• Like 1

I won’t get into if it’s right or wrong, but it may have been the only option?! They’ve been trying to sort things for over a year…and nothing. Clearly teams are having trouble clearing cap space. 

Not saying I agree or disagree, it was just a thought on why. 

• Cheers 1

Just now, grandmaster said:

I strongly believe that both OEL and Myers were responsible for far too many loses last season. I’m so happy one of these bafoons is gone. Myers be gone after his bonus and this will be a successful off season. AHL plugs are better than these clowns

The horrible thing is we might need to keep Myers for this season or until the TDL. Just because we're lacking experienced players.