The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Buyout] Oliver Ekman-Larsson

Just now, Warhippy said:

So.  $5 million in dead cap RIGHT when Hronek, Pettersson, Beauvillier, Podkolzin, Nils, Dakota, Studnicka, Brisebois all need new contracts or extensions and when Demko is due for his extension during the weakest free agency crop in the last 5 years plus an additional $2.417 million in dead cap for the next 7 straight years minimum for a team that has been at or above the cap every year since 2010 and boasts one of the shallowest prospect and depth pools in the entire league

Ya, seems real smart.  Because why not right?

You’re missing other contracts coming off the books and the Cap moving upwards 

Just now, Warhippy said:

So.  $5 million in dead cap RIGHT when Hronek, Pettersson, Beauvillier, Podkolzin, Nils, Dakota, Studnicka, Brisebois all need new contracts or extensions and when Demko is due for his extension during the weakest free agency crop in the last 5 years plus an additional $2.417 million in dead cap for the next 7 straight years minimum for a team that has been at or above the cap every year since 2010 and boasts one of the shallowest prospect and depth pools in the entire league

Don’t worry the cap will rise each year. So, it lessen the pain. /s

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, eeeeergh said:

Assuming they qualify Bear, they'll have 10 million in cap space (with Pearson + Poolman as LTIR riders)

I dont think they can stop here - simply replacing OEL with a 5 million dollar defenseman (Graves) and getting a 3C is not going to make us better. Long run it makes us worse, because we'll be paying a Graves type player 5m + having OELs buyout on the books. 

They need to push the chips in, clear even more cap, and completely restructure this thing

Attach a sweetener or retain something on Garland

Launch Myers into the sun (Arizona) after his Bonus is paid

Then weaponize the 20 million in cap space to steal good players from Boston, Tampa etc etc.

If they can turn this disaster into a lineup with Barbashev & Acciari as 3c and 4c, and exploit LA or Columbus to pick up someone like Roy & Sign Graves, pick up a Forbort from Boston now i think we're talking

Kuzmenko-Petey-Beauvillier

Mikheyev-Miller-Boeser

Joshua-Barbashev-Podkolzin
Hoglander-Acciari-Studnicka

Hughes-Roy

Graves-Hronek

Forbort-Bear

Doing this buyout for anything short of this outcome is a big disaster. 

your thinking is right, but I think the canucks need to target cap efficient players now. Barbashev im guessing price went wayyy up. 

what the heck are you doing leaving my boy Aman out of the line up

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Warhippy said:

It is dumb. But this POHO GM and coach don't have 5 year deals. They have a year or 2. 

So it's all back to Aquilini and his desperation nonsense. This is why JR was hired in the first place. 

• Upvote 1

How we spend that cap space really determines whether this was the right move or not. I'd prefer to wait a year but they must really think OEL is unsalvageable.

And God damn. All of Bennings moves post 2016 can't even seem to last one year before going stale.

The only bright side is that Aquilini is feeling that $20 mil sting. Hopefully this teaches him to meddle less.

Ekman-Larsson and agent surprised by buyout, Canucks GM Allvin explains reasoning (msn.com)

Ekman-Larsson and agent surprised by buyout, Canucks GM Allvin explains reasoning

Story by David Quadrelli, Canucksarmy  35m ago

Ekman-Larsson and agent surprised by buyout, Canucks GM Allvin explains reasoning
Ekman-Larsson and agent surprised by buyout, Canucks GM Allvin explains reasoning© ? Mark J. Rebilas-USA TODAY Sports

By now you’ve probably heard the big news of the day: Oliver Ekman-Larsson has been bought out by the Vancouver Canucks.

The news came down on Friday afternoon, with Canucks GM Patrik Allvin confirming the news shortly over an hour after Sportsnet’s Elliotte Friedman first reported on the buyout. Allvin also explained the club’s thought process behind the buyout.

Could contain: Gray

1 minute ago, Warhippy said:

Casue in year 3-4 it is either gonna be OEL on the roaster with 7.2 mill or dead cap about 4.3-4.7 mill. That dead cap ain't gonna go away if we wait a year or two. 

Only tangible downside is the year 7-8 2 mill dead cap when looking in a vacuum. 

1 minute ago, MaxVerstappen33 said:

Too many moving parts. They won't be able to swing a restructure like this. 

Im not optimistic, but its the only way I see this move being justified

If they were ever going to pull off something big like that, its this season when so many teams are cap strapped

Boston needs cap space, Forbort is expendable

LA has plenty of young RD, Roy is expendable

I think 3C and 4C can be filled in UFA, theres enough candidates there

But idk. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Angry Goose said:

your thinking is right, but I think the canucks need to target cap efficient players now. Barbashev im guessing price went wayyy up. 

what the heck are you doing leaving my boy Aman out of the line up

My bad, lets put Aman on the wing there instead of Studnicka

I think Aman is awesome but needs to get better at Faceoffs before hes our full time 4C

• There it is 1

32 minutes ago, HKSR said:

I find it hilarious that the Avs and their fans were fine with a $6M Erik Johnson playing on the 3rd pair of their elite Stanley Cup winning roster, but here we are buying out OEL to just have to replace him with another top 4 LHD that will be making at least $5M AAV. 

So from next year onwards:

$2M dead cap + $5M = $7M for replacement defenceman

$4.5M dead cap + $5M = $9.5M for replacement defenceman

$4.5M dead cap + $5M = $9.5M for replacement defenceman

woo hoo... we're SO far ahead now.

Um,for this argument to work you need to see that we would now have a top 4 d-man instead of not having a top 4 d-man. That should probably be part of the calculation. 

3 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

People don't realize player's caps increase with the increase in cap. We don't just magically get more cap when it goes up. Players get more money.

Yes but when analyzing known cap hit on the books, raising cap justify that reasoning as existing cost have a lower percentage cost on the cap. 

• Cheers 1

We are getting one year of real savings and then paying for it for 7 years. 

Unless OEL suffered another injury we don't know about, this is such a short sighted move. 

We are going to sign another UFA to play the tough minutes and he will become the new whipping boy. 

Meanwhile OEL will have a bounce back year with another team. 

2 minutes ago, 24K PureCool said:

Casue in year 3-4 it is either gonna be OEL on the roaster with 7.2 mill or dead cap about 4.3-4.7 mill. That dead cap ain't gonna go away if we wait a year or two. 

Only tangible downside is the year 7-8 2 mill dead cap when looking in a vacuum. 

That's not exactly true though. If he plays one more year , it reduces the buyout length by a year and defers the nasty recapture period by a year.