The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Buyout] Oliver Ekman-Larsson

3 minutes ago, VancouverHabitant said:

I was wrong on this one too... Thought that there was absolutely no chance that we would do this. 

PA did say at end of season press conf that everything is on the table, including payouts. 

• Cheers 1
  • Sad 1

5 minutes ago, EP Phone Home said:

So the trade goes:

Vancouver gets:
Garland 
Plus 8 years of OEL buyout $2,126,667 per year.

Arizona gets 
LE-off the books 
Rooster-off the books
Beagle-off the books
9th OA 2021
42nd OA 2022
2023 7th 

With aggressive moves like this I’m sure we are selling the idea for Petey signing up long term.

All that for Conor Garland. I like Garly but holy! 

• Huggy Bear 1
  • There it is 1

5 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

I created a post for Mantha and 2023 2nd for Garland and a 2023 6th (although I'd probably do a 4th instead to make the deal happen)

Then buyout Mantha.

I'd just ride out the season of Mantha tbh. But yeah, a buyout could be an option. I'd rather avoid that though as we're already looking at dead cap now.

3 minutes ago, DrJockitch said:

I sure hope they are still looking to trade at least 2 of Boesser, Beau or Garland.  Now you can actually use a wing contract and take back a bit extra cap for a D or C.  Pay the position premium in cap instead of more pics or prospects. 
We need to be bigger on the wing but Mantha never seems to pull it together for long.

A spot has opened for Rathbone or Hirose and concerningly we need 2 more top 4 D and a third line centre.  With a $5M cap penalty next year and EP and Hronek’s big deals kicking in next year we need to be really smart with our cap, something that no management group other than Gillis’ has done.  We can’t just depend on a big cap jump to cover things. 
I was hoping management would take a big swing this year and this is the beginnings of a big swing. 
An exciting couple of weeks ahead, please don’t do something really stupid in the UFA market, please don’t go after Kevin Hayes. 

Mantha doesn't have to hold it together for long though, he just has to be serviceable for a single season and given it's a contract year he'd likely be very motivated to bounce back. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, JamesB said:

I was leaning in this direction but I recall from previous discussion of an OEL buyout that if you think OEL is no better than a good 3rd pairing D, doing a buyout now would be the best option. In other words, if you can replace OEL with someone of better quality for about 3.5 million or less, than a buyout makes financial sense.

I prefer seeing if he bounces back next year then reevaluating a buyout as an option. 

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, Strawbone said:

Um holy crap. This off season just got WAY more interesting. 

And the cap hit really sucks in a couple years, but you know who doesn’t care? Me!

Management must really think this core can do something special soon. I’m excited. 

Drama Popcorn GIF

1 minute ago, canuck73_3 said:

No it isn't, both are equally dumb.

There are only two iffy years and the rest we’re dinged with a cap hit of $2.1 million. If the cap is going up over the next few years as much as we think it’s going to go up, then it’s almost a non issue. 

• Cheers 1
  • Sad 1

I’m not sure it’s the direction I’d go if I was in charge but I have to give some credit for being decisive. The options it opens up versus the required work around should be worth it. 

I think it’s a net gain move even with the cap penalty in mind. That’s how bad the OEL contract is/was. It’s a shame really as I always enjoyed him as a player earlier in his career. He was dominant at times. 

Would love to see a young-ish replacement who works hard and plays with pace. I wonder if Columbus could use to alleviate themselves of a defender. They’ll be just as aggressive as the Canucks this summer. 

1 minute ago, Pears said:

There are only two iffy years and the rest we’re dinged with a cap hit of $2.1 million. If the cap is going up over the next few years as much as we think it’s going to go up, then it’s almost a non issue. 

2.1 million is the difference between a quality backup goalie and what was iced last season.  It matters; the dead cap last season was the reason that an NHL backup wasn't brought in.  Now Rutherford has decided that subjecting the team to 8 more years of this insanity is acceptable.

Edited by King Heffy
  • Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1
  • There it is 1

Just now, Pears said:

Cap is expected to hit $100M by 2027. 
By the end of the buyout, who knows how much more it’ll be.

We are fine, as long as management can manage cap competently from here on out. No more Mikheyev type contracts.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2

7 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

So, wrong thread, but does anyone know if there's anything that would prevent us paying Myers signing bonus early to make him more tradeable this summer instead of waiting till September?

I think there are teams who would take him without retention if that 5 million wasn't hanging over them. The idea of eating 6 million space for only 1 million spend...As long as he'll waive for the right team, he only has 10 team protection list.

It's in his contract, I don't think you can just pay it whenever. 

• Cheers 1